We're heading for serious trouble, and I don't hold much hope at this point.
The model for what happens to Democracies was ancient Athens. Plato lays it out pretty well in The Republic. As did a number of other classical writers, Greek and Roman.
Great post. I really enjoyed reading that... or did I? Pretty scary.
We are a Republic NOT a Democracy!
Just so you don’t get too far out on the limb, he didn’t say this at all. He made a few comments that kind of have some of these sentiments, but most of it has been added on by people in the last century. It’s become a good quote though.
The correct name may be "Tytler" but the source itself is questionable. A possible source of the observation is Lord Thomas Babington Macaulay, author and politician, in a letter to a friend in 1857.
Regardless of the source the words stand on their own.
1. From bondage to spiritual faith.
2. From faith to great courage.
3. From courage to liberty.
4. From liberty to abundance.
5. From abundance to complacency.
6. From complacency to selfishness.
7. From selfishness to apathy.
8. From apathy to dependency.
9. And from dependency back again into bondage.