Skip to comments.Trial ordered for Sandy man accused of sexually assaulting woman, her 2 children [Ex-Lds prez]
Posted on 02/10/2013 10:31:43 AM PST by Colofornian
SALT LAKE CITY-A Sandy man accused of sexually assaulting a woman and two of her children has been ordered to stand trial on the charges against him.
Efrey Antonio Guzman, 47, was ordered to stand trial on charges of aggravated sexual assault and aggravated burglary, first-degree felonies, as well as sex abuse of a child and forcible sexual abuse, second-degree felonies, following a hearing on evidence against him...
A 13-year-old girl told police that Guzman, a "family friend," knocked on her door May 8 when she and her older brother were home alone. When Guzman learned that the brother was in the shower, "the defendant suddenly grabbed her, hugged her tightly and would not let her go," the charges state.
The teen said Guzman started kissing her and grabbed her buttocks, but left when her brother entered the room.
On Aug. 2, she said she noticed Guzman circling the street near her home. She ran inside to tell her mother that the man was outside and the mother then locked herself in a bedroom and called for help, the charges state.
Police say Guzman knocked on the door and asked if he could talk to the 13-year-old. The mother told Guzman that he needed to leave. But Guzman allegedly pushed his way into the home and began to assault the mother. During a struggle, Guzman ripped her shirt, then grabbed her exposed breast, the charges state.
When the brother heard his mother call for help, prosecutors say he went into the front room and saw Guzman assaulting his mother. While he attempted to get the man off of her, Guzman grabbed and then bit the son's genitals, "causing severe damage that required surgery," according to the charges.
Guzman was president of the LDS Union Park 9th Branch in Midvale.
(Excerpt) Read more at deseretnews.com ...
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said after charges were filed that Guzman no longer holds that position. "The church has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind. Mr. Guzman has been released from his church duties effective immediately and faces further church discipline following the legal process," church spokesman Scott Trotter said.
(I’ll try this.....)
[In Before the Bigots Who Cry Hater!]
LOL—Funny how that happens.
Which is vitally important to this story because, as we all know, no member of any other religion, especially Colofornian's chosen religion, has ever committed a sexual crime.
Joseph Smith was a sexual predator. Sexual misconduct is woven into the historical fabric of the LDS church.
And Bringem Young was just as bad.
And Bringem Young was just as bad.
really i never heard of this dude!! Bringem Young. Before you slam people you should get their name right!! It is Brigham Young and he lived from 1801 to 1877!! Not like yesterday or last year.. They did allot of strange things back in the 1800’s. Like marry really young...
He called himself Bringem Young. And, he liked them very young.
By the standards of any century in the last twenty, he was a sexual pervert.
In the 1800’s the average age of women at marriage was 20, but marriage at 15 was not uncommon. This is fairly consistent nationwide.
The average age for men was 30-35.
At least according to the census records.
* Late July 2012: 3 more women claim GOP political activist abused them [Brings to at least 7 Utah victims]
* Mid-July 2012: GOP activist facing 23 charges of kidnapping, rape [Temple recommended Mormon targeted Lds victims]
* Mid-July 2012: Romney, Utah politicians denounce accused rapist's actions
* Earlier July 2012: Former Boy Scout leader sent to prison for making child porn
* Early February 2012: Former BYU student charged with sex abuse
* December, 2011: Judge weighing whether Mormon bishop should stand trial for failure to report abuse
* Mid-November, 2011: Provo city to file charges against LDS bishop
* April, 2011: Mormon Church Denies Prior Knowledge of Susan Brock Affair With Teen Boy, Which is a Lie
* March, 2011: Sacramento News & Review
* February, 2011: Father of The 5 Browns pleads guilty to sexually abusing his daughters
* December, 2010: Did fellow Mormons cover up officer's baby
And then here are some more cases going back to 2010
BTW...it's easy to broad brush an entire religious sect over the acts of just one individual. But recognize that supposedly moral religionists while not above sin would be expected to have criminal sexual rates less than what is 1.7% of the entire population.
* Did fellow Mormons cover up officer's baby molestations?
* Ex-LDS Seminary principal gets 5-to-life for abusing student
* Brock Police Report: Removal of "Temple Garments," a Meeting With LDS Officials
* Brock pleads guilty (Woman and daughter both have sex with underage male-Phoenix)
* Heber charity founder Lon Kennard Sr. charged with years of sexual abuse
* Family apologizes after sexual abuse arrest
* Ex-BLM Manager charged with sex abuse commits suicide
* Woman who had sex with therapist sues LDS Family Services for negligence
* Fake [LDS] marriage therapist arrested for sex abuse [this is a separate abuse story involving another lds therapist than the fake Lds therapist story listed right before this one]
* Ex-BYU student pleads guilty in attack on woman he was assigned to home teach
* 2 Mormon missionaries jailed 17 years for defilement
* Board rejects Utah County doctor Max Cannon's request for reinstated license
* Teen not getting new trial in attempted rape case
* Man jailed for indecent exposure [22 yo BYU-Idaho student]
* Cheryl Maher says Kevin Garn lied about hot tub contact
* (Utah) Rep. Garn resigns following hot tub confession
* LDS Church says local leaders handled claims against Garn
* Garn pleaded guilty in 2006 to alcohol-related charge [Lds bishop DUI]
In the UK, the average age for a woman marrying between 1851 and 1890 was just under age 26 for all brides (including women becoming remarried...and was over age 24 for single women...the average age for a single woman to be married in the UK/Wales in the last half of the nineteenth century was never younger than 24.3 years [1871-1875] [Ya gotta remember that a lot of Utah brides in the 1860s & beyond were UK converts coming to Utah]
The data came from this source: UK/Wales average age of all brides
That was the UK...what about the United States in the latter half of the 19th century?
* In New England, the average marriage age in MA 1850-1860 was age 23.6. (Vermont in 1858 it was 21.4)
Two other table charts I came across included one where the average age for 1750-1890 at about age 22 -- only dipping down below that for one decade --1870-1879 (21.7 yrs).
Another table showed the average age for women marrying in 1650 was 20; 1750, 23; 1850, 24; 1950, 20.
Now, let's get Utah-specific: A BYU professor, Kathryn M. Daynes, researched marriages in Manti, Utah area in the 19th century. She concluded that Women throughout the period married young, younger than outside Utah. BYU Source: More Wives Than One: Transformation of the Mormon Marriage System, 1840-1910
Now since polygamy busted open among Mormons more in Utah under Brigham's leadership, was Brigham just being magnanimous in "helping women" find shelter? We can, for that, "call to the stand" a Mormon "apostle" who was born during the polygamy years (early 1870s):
We do not understand why the Lord commanded the practice of plural marriage. (Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, 1960, p.393). One of the most popular explanations is that the church practiced polygamy because there was a surplus of women. The truth is, however, that there were less women than men. Apostle Widtsoe admitted that there was no surplus of women: 'The implied assumption in this theory, that there have been more female than male members in the Church, is not supported by existing evidence. On the contrary, there seems always to have been more males than females in the Church... The United States census records from 1850 to 1940, and all available Church records, uniformly show a preponderance of males in Utah, and in the Church. Indeed, the excess in Utah has usually been larger than for the whole United States, ... there was no surplus of women' (Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, 1960, pp.390-92," as cited in Changing World of Mormonism, pp. 224-225).
Is "way more" a statistical term?
I'm sure that you have a link to a study that backs up your assertion; that breaks down cases of "religious sexual abuse" by religion?
What is your chosen religion, by the way, just for comparison's sake?
Usually7 the Mormons cover up this kind of thing...
after all these are just a woman and children...
Either they were mad at him for something else...
or he was caught dead to rights before they could subvert justice...
or it might just have been that assault on another male thingy..
The after-the-fact "discipline" as you suggest, does NOT change the fact that Guzman who was "called to the church position by the priesthood authority after prayerful inspiration" WAS holding the position of branch president and ordained as such. Why would the fact that he was "disciplined", not even excommunicated be notable? As a matter of fact, I think the lack of excommunication should be emphasized!
except these were not marriages...
they were just one night stands with little girls some as young as 14...
Young had one wife and over 50 concubines...
all at the same time...
Joey Smith had at lest 40 extra women among them 14 year olds and 11 women already married to other men...
again these were not marriages...
just sexual exploits of defenseless women and children...
Joey Smith and Bringem Young were both sick perverted dogs ...
Like this “president” (pastor) of a Mormon religious house...
I wasn’t referring to these specific instances. I was referring to the age of marriage to point out that the current social and legal norms were different in the 1800s.
In other words it wasn’t all that unusual for a 30 yr old man to marry a younger woman, some times as young as 15. Heck I remember hearing about people in my grandmothers generation getting married as young as 13.
Now anyone doing that today would be deemed a deviant and rightly so.
In 2010, Evangelicals were 1/3rd of the entire voting block. Which would mean Evangelicals were about 16.5 x the # of Mormon voters...Which would mean for every two Mormon sex abusers, you would need to uncover about 33 Evangelical sex abusers.
But I'll even lower the "contrast and compare" standard for you: Go ahead...show me even 5 articles...or how about even just 2-3 ... on Evangelical sex abusers since 2010...
Go ahead. Put your keyboard where your mouth is.
Oh, if that were only true.
Besides the link was provided, was it hard for you to find it?
You made the assertion. Back it up.
I told you what my "religion" is...so I'm waiting for your "comparison" you promised.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.