Skip to comments.Police disable 'Pepsi' machine that dispensed beer in Northeast
Posted on 02/28/2013 9:17:00 AM PST by Kid Shelleen
It looked like a soda machine in front of an apartment building in Northeast D.C., but police say it wasn't as advertised. The Pepsi machine on Meigs Place in Trinidad dispensed cans of beer for $3. When a neighbor alerted police, they checked and discovered the working beer dispensary. If you put in your money, you could buy a Bud Light, Bud Ice or a can of the original Schlitz Malt Liquor. Anyone, no matter their age, could buy if they had the knowledge and the money.
(Excerpt) Read more at wjla.com ...
Oh, dear, oh, dear. Bud Lite. Wouldn’t want this competing with the drug dealers.
My fraternity had one of those. My favorite was the button marked, “Mystery.” 25% chance of getting a Heineken, 75% Blatz or Olympia.
When I was in the Navy we had beer machines in the barracks.
I smell SUPER BOWL COMMERCIAL....
We did this in my fraternity in college - had an old Pepsi machine that dispensed bottles. Because we couldn’t change the amount charged (25 cents), we just put an empty in between every bottle of beer.
So, if you had 50 cents, you could buy a nice cold beer.
Never, EVER doubt the power of engineering students when the guy/girl ratio is 10:1.
There's always one.
Heck, that’s nothing. In Japan, you can buy whiskey from vending machines on the street.
The army had them too, 25 cents per beer.
Ohio State University early 70s.
Was visiting a dorm. They had a coke machine stocked with beer bottles.
Only cost a quarter each.
Prefer a Pepsi mahself, but darned if I’d pay 3 bucks for it!
Another free marketeer successfully put out of business.
Like many others here, I once worked in a warehouse where we had an indoor coke machine. One button was marked “Out of order” which translated to “Budweiser.” The machine made enough money on soft drinks during the day, that it funded the end-of-day beers.
The army had them too, 25 cents per beer.
The “last stop” liquor store services a large area and everyone around here thinks “beer” is synonymous with “bud light”. So, they regularly get “overstock” of “off brands” and sell them cheap. I get all the Shocktop and a couple of other really (seriously) good amber ales for $10 a case. I typically buy four to eight cases at a time. Quite a few of my friends I’ve picked up here are from Seattle, Chicago and California. They appreciate what’s in my fridge. ;-)
Rudeboy, the music store I used to live over had an old coke machine. The bottom slot was covered over. But I knew there was Heineken there. My best friend/bass player worked there. Pampalone Music Medford, MA.
I can remember as a youngster in the late 70’s playing golf with my pop at Eagle Haven on the Little Creek Amphib base, and seeing beer machines at various holes. Ever the smart alec, asked pop if I could have one. His reply...a swift backhand to the back of my noggin.
Wow, that stirs up some real beer envy.
Trinidad’s a rough neighborhood in DC. Not worth the $3, mon.
As my friend says --(he owns 4 rooming houses here) 'Schlitz Malt Liquor, the choice of homeless drunks everywhere!'
BTW, my friend business is thriving.... he just bought another building to house homeless families...
One of the most pleasant surprises I had after I got my commission was finding beer in the BOQ vending machines.
Nothing like dropping a couple quarters for a beer after a long day of flying in the tropics.
Of course, that ceased during the early Clinton years.
My barracks in Korea had a beer vending machine. $0.75/can. One night, I got a 7-pack for the price of one. I bought the first beer, and it emptied the rest in that column (total of six). The machine still showed I had a credit, so I pushed another button and got a seventh beer. Good times. I did, however, go to the housing folks and let them know what happened. I didn’t want to lose the machine or privileges due to theft/malfunction, since the vending machine was the only place you could get a beer after curfew in town and before the clubs opened again in the morning. They didn’t ask me to re-imburse them for the extras, they just thanked me for the information. The machine was there for my entire two years. :-)
Well, to give you an idea of the beer culture clash here, my friend from Seattle was at a restaurand in the wet county and he and his wife asked what kind of beer they had. The waitress said, “Bud light and Killians Irish Red”. My friend said, “Well, that’s a no brainer.” The waitress said, “Two Buds then?”
Uh...no. Not really. No
In my last sojourn into a part of the world that had dry counties (Alabama) I noticed that just about every place that you could buy beer carried exclusively Anheuser-Busch products. I think they just happen to dominate the supply chain down there.
Here in Pennsylvania we have arcane, ridiculous liquor laws. But the beer distributors do stock a good variety.
The police disabled a Pepsi machine? Well, there’s another lawsuit. Does somebody have a video of the attack? Can’t we all just get along?
LOL, this takes me back to my teen years in the early ‘70s. There was an auto body shop / junkyard nearby that had a soda machine outside the business shanty, close to the road. The machine dispensed cans of several regular brands of cola, root beer, and ginger ale. But there was also an unlabeled button that dispensed... cans of beer! It wasn’t supposed to be known to the public, but as happens with this kind of thing, word got out. We would visit at night when the place was closed and pop our quarters into the machine.
The last beer vending machine I saw was at Area 12 of the Nevada Test Site in ‘92, it sold the “white can” generic beer. Even though the next nearest beer was 50 miles away in Mercury, it didn’t do much business.
When I was in the Navy we had beer machines in the barracks....Same-o, same-o. I remember we had one on the breezeway before going into your room. Some guys came in from the field, the armory was closed so they were armed. One guy put a half buck in and got nothing. He put his last two quarters in and it gave him nothing. We heard the gunshots and scrambled like hell to find a safe place. Tsgt. became E-1 in about three hours.
Hey, he didn't build that.
Had them in the BEQ’s in Okinawa in late 80’s, until a drunk Marine tipped a full machine over onto himself...end of that.
Just a block away is 711. They sell beer until 2am any night.
I ride my bicycle there and get 4pks of pints of Steel Reserve. Even though it’s union-made, it’s:
Cheap ($7.69 4pk pints)
Can’t beat that.
Heck, thats nothing. In Japan, you can buy whiskey from vending machines on the street.
You can also buy used panties (japan is weird), but what i really wonder is if you can buy also buy those Orange Traffic Cones that always end up turning up the next morning.....
“Cheap ($7.69 4pk pints)”
They only sell it in single cans here in Northern Ohio. But it’s only $1.49 a can. EDGE is cheaper at $1.39, and tastes about the same. A 4 pack of Boddington’s is $8.00
And, somewhere in Japan, there’s a nursing home where all the old ladies wonder why they always have a fresh pair of fancy underwear to put on every day, and the Manager is driving a Ferrari.
The road front to my property is about 300 yards long. My wife and I walked to church last week and noticed that every single beer can in the grass in front of our place and the rest of our walk was a blue bud light can.
The only way I can drink that kind of beer is with jalapeno juice in it.
It’s actually pretty good that way. The trick is to use a bland beer.
They sold BOQ beer?
Bud light w/ Clamato. Yummy.
The vending machine at the BOQ (bachelor officer quarters)
The machine ripped him off a quarter.
It’s a pun. Bock beer.
Ok, this is crazy. An other test-siter on Freeper?
N tunnel baby!
CP-1 here. Did the shots in the flats, mostly, tunnel shot once a year, and a few on the mesa. You are miner? Took a long time to prep them tunnel shots.
SAIC, device output diagnostics.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.