Skip to comments.It's Official: Men Can't Read Women's Emotions
Posted on 04/16/2013 5:49:33 PM PDT by Sir Napsalot
It's a cliché that men just don't understand women.
Now, new research suggests men really do struggle to read women's emotions at least from their eyes.
The research, ... showed that men had twice as much trouble deciphering women's emotions from images of their eyes compared with those of men. Parts of the male brain tied to emotion also didn't activate as strongly when the men looked at women's eyes.
To see whether men really did have trouble reading women's emotions, Boris Schiffer, a researcher at the LWL-University Hospital in Bochum, Germany and his colleagues put 22 men between the ages of 21 and 52, with an average age of 36, in a functional magnetic resonance imaging scanner, which uses blood flow as a measure of to measure their brain activity.
They then asked the men to look at images of 36 pairs of eyes, half from men and half from women, and guess the emotion the people felt. The men then chose which of two words, such as distrustful or terrified, best described the eyes' emotion. The eye photographs depicted positive, neutral, and negative emotions.
Men took longer and had more trouble correctly guessing emotion from women's eyes.
In addition, their brains showed different activation when looking at men versus women's eyes. Men's amygdala a brain region tied to emotions, empathy, and fear activated more strongly in response to men's eyes. In addition, other brain regions tied to emotion and behavior didn't activate as much when the men looked at women's eyes.
The findings suggest that men are worse at reading women's emotions. This "theory of mind" is one of the foundations for empathy, so the deficit could lead men to have less empathy for women relative to men, the researchers write.
(Excerpt) Read more at livescience.com ...
However, if the researchers had asked men to identify eyes from people they are familiar with (i.e. spouse, their own children or family members, etc.), the correct answer might be up.
Another thing is, apparently men (and women) can read dogs' emotions much more accurately. ===> Thought I throw in something lighter for discussion.
We’re supposed to look at the eyes?
What’s to unnerstand, they’ve got cold, cold hearts.
We're not speed readers is why.
What are these things called emotions?
Don’t look them in the eyes, they steal your soul that way.
OK, suppose we are having a conversation and I read her emotion right and then she turns around and in about 5 seconds I swear when she turns around I’m probably facing a totally different emotion that came out of nowhere. I wish they would change colors like lizards.
I’m stealin’ that.
Well, when a women wags her tail like my dog does, I know precisely what she wants.
Emotions, what are you doin’
Oh, don’t you know
Don’t you know you’ll be my ruin
(M.Tillis / R.Kearney)
Why get caught up in the emotional matrix ALERT?
What about women? Can they read our minds, or is it all BS projection?
Also, how do we know what emotions the faces were expressing in the study? Did researches ask the faces in question what they were feeling at the time? How do we know they weren’t lying? Maybe the information men supposedly missed wasn’t there and, per usual, women were given credit for made-up feelings.
By the way, our inability to read facial clues, or women’s supposed superiority in “emotional intelligence,” are not to be confused with women being more emotional, nor their emotions being deeper and profounder, or whatever the cliches are. Men feel things, but we hide them from the world. Because they’re secret, and could get us killed.
My sentiments exactly!
This is where FR really needs a LIKE function!
We always hear “the rules” from the female side. Now here are the rules from the male side. These are our rules! Please note... these are all numbered “1” ON PURPOSE!
1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You’re a big girl. If it’s up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don’t hear us bitching about you leaving it down.
1. Birthdays, Valentines, and Anniversaries are not quests to see if we can find the perfect present yet again!
1. Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it.
1. Sunday = sports. It’s like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.
1. Don’t cut your hair. Ever. Long hair is always more attractive than short hair. One of the big reasons guys fear getting married is that married women always cut their hair, and by then you’re stuck with her.
1. Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to think of it that way.
1. Crying is blackmail.
1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: Subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just say it!
1. We don’t remember dates. Mark birthdays and anniversaries on a calendar. Remind us frequently beforehand.
1. Most guys own three pairs of shoes - tops. What makes you think we’d be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look good with your dress?
1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.
1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That’s what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.
1. A headache that last for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.
1. Check your oil! Please.
1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.
1. If you won’t dress like the Victoria’s Secret girls, don’t expect us to act like soap opera guys.
1. If you think you’re fat, you probably are. Don’t ask us. We refuse to answer.
1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.
1. Let us ogle. We are going to look anyway; it’s genetic.
1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.
1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.
1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither do we.
1. The relationship is never going to be like it was the first two months we were going out. Get over it. And quit whining to your girlfriends.
1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.
1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.
1. We are not mind readers and we never will be. Our lack of mind-reading ability is not proof of how little we care about you.
1. If we ask what is wrong and you say “nothing,” we will act like nothing’s wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.
1. If you ask a question you don’t want an answer to, expect an answer you don’t want to hear.
1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine. Really.
1. Don’t ask us what we’re thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as navel lint, the shotgun formation, or monster trucks.
1. You have enough clothes.
1. You have too many shoes.
1. Foreign films are best left to foreigners. (Unless it’s Bruce Lee or some war flick where it doesn’t really matter what the hell they’re saying anyway.)
1. It is neither in your best interest or ours to take the quiz together. No, it doesn’t matter which quiz.
1. BEER is as exciting for us as handbags are for you.
1. Thank you for reading this; Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight, but did you know we really don’t mind that, it’s like camping.
1. I’m in shape. ROUND is a shape.
That’s true, but they’re not even consistent enough to stay emotionally inconsistent. Particular feelings they’ll hold onto forever, never forgive you for causing, and throw them in your face whenever the opportunity presents itself. They’re terrorists, is what I’m saying.
Emotion? Some guys can’t even tell you what color her eyes are!
You call them emotions ladies.
We call them delusions.
Or not killed, but in deep trouble.
Women’s “rules” were about ensnaring men into committed relationships. Equivalent rules for men would be rules for getting sex, and it would consist of a single command, reading: “pester her until she gives in.”
What women say and what they really mean...
We need = I want
It’s your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now
Do what you want = You’ll pay for this later
We need to talk = I need to complain
Sure...go ahead = I don’t want you to.
I’m not upset = Of course I’m upset, you moron.
You’re...so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot.
You’re certainly attentive tonight. = Is sex all you ever think about?
I’m not emotional! And I’m not overreacting! = I’m on my period.
Be romantic, turn out the lights. = I have flabby thighs.
Hang the picture there = No, I mean hang it there!
I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep.
Do you love me? = I’m going to ask for something expensive.
How much do you love me? = I did something today you’re really not going to like..
I’ll be ready in a minute. = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on T.V.
Is my butt fat? = Tell me I’m beautiful.
You have to learn to communicate. = Just agree with me.
Are you listening to me!? = [Too late, you’re dead.]
Yes = No
No = No
Maybe = No
I’m sorry. = You’ll be sorry.
I’m not yelling! = Yes I am yelling because I think this is important.
Quick, somebody look into my eyes to read just what my reaction to political agendas masquerading as science might be, lol.
Where’s the complementary study of women’s ability to read emotion from men’s eyes? I suggest putting all “neutral” images up and publishing the results.
Yet another way in which men are inherently defective. The list just goes on and on.
Got news for you...
No, not ‘inherently defective’.
Ask a woman if she’s pregnant, and she’s not, and she gets mad.
I don’t ask now unless I can actually see the head crowning.
It would of saved me a lot of trouble had I known earlier that I can’t read.
Good Lord....how much did we pay for a visit from Captain Obvious?
Something good, that you've done repeatedly and consistently for years, that you forget to do once, turns into something that you never do.
Conversely, something bad, that you've never done before, that you do once, turns into something that you always do.
‘What are these things called emotions?’
I think that they are an event that happens between dinner and bed time every night.
Is it really so difficult to refrain from vulgar depictions of women being treated sadistically when commenting on a conservative family forum?
‘men (and women) can read dogs’ emotions much more accurately. ‘
On the TV show ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway, they had a game where the topic was: Things you can say to your dog, but not your wife.
Colin Mochries one word reply was, ‘Come’
It looks like the first two on the second row are out of order.
If you don’t understand women’s emotions, just keep listening. They always get around to it. But whatever you do, don’t talk.
You don’t look at her eyes. You look at her hands. If there’s a bloodstained hatchet in one of them, it could be bad. If it’s about to be bloodstained, real bad.
It might just be further evidence that many women are lousy communicators outside of their own sex.