Skip to comments.Facebook vs. Eminem: Pissed-Off Rapper Says Mark Zuckerberg Ripped Off His Beats
Posted on 05/21/2013 12:23:29 PM PDT by nickcarrawayEdited on 05/21/2013 12:38:06 PM PDT by Admin Moderator. [history]
Eminem, the prolific and profane rapper, is suing fellow billionaire Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook's CEO whose idea of irreverence is adding tickers to your Facebook wall. According to the Detroit Free Press, Eminem claims Facebook stole the beats, melody, etc. from his 2000 "Under the Influence." The Bay Area social media giant ran an ad for its new Facebook Home app on April 4, featuring a song with beats eerily similar to Eminem's dirty ditty about popping pills.
Eminem wasn't the first one to think Zuckerberg was trying to tap his inner Slim Shady.
Here's Zuckerberg's Eminem-sounding ad:
The complaint claims the ad agency, Wieden+Kennedy of Portland, Oregon, copied Eminem's music "in an effort to curry favor with Facebook by catering to Zuckerberg's personal likes and interests, and/or to invoke the same irreverent theme" of the rapper's song.
If this were a competition over Facebook friends, Eminem, who has 70 million-plus friends, would kill (figuratively speaking) Zuckerberg and his 17 million followers.
That could have hurt...
Eminem is not a billionaire. He is worth abnout $100 million. Zuckerberg is a billionaire on paper. His code is crappy by the way.
“Fellow billionaire”? I don’t think so.
I always love it when rappers accuse other people of “ripping off their beats” when they themselves get those beats and drum sounds off of other peoples records, usually old records where those original artists don’t make a dime unless they discover it and bring suit. Either way, it’s all karaoke shet to me. I’ll never understand why somebody would spend a dime to see someone do karaoke on a stage. I’d rather go to happy hour and see a drunk secretary.
Wow. Zuckerman’s hired composer borrowed a rhythm from Marshall Mathers’ hired composer. That’s never happened before.
I always love it when rappers accuse other people of ripping off their beats
Especially Eminem! That’s like Milton Berle accusing a fellow comedian of stealing a joke!
I do electronic music as a hobby. You would be amazed at how many people think their ‘beats’ never before in the history of percussion...EVER...happened. And they alone discovered electricity.
I believe that happened at least once with Michael Jackson.
It did famously happen with George Harrison in the case of My Sweet Lord. Of course, the copyright owner had a pretty good case, at least in my opinion. And no one "went away" in that case... it turned into one of the lengthiest litigations in American history.
True. But a lot of the laws have changed since ‘sampling’ took over. It comes down to ‘melody vs chord progression in many cases. An identifiable melody can be ‘owned’ but a 1 4 5 or whatever chord progression cannot. And many of the most popular songs use the exact progressions.
People have tried suing over a 1 second snippet of sound. Anything to make a buck.
The all time crazy music lawsuit was the John Cage Trust suing a musician who put a silent track on an album by claiming it ripped off Cage’s “4:33”.
They won 6 figures.
They won 6 figures.
It's all up to the jury...
For those who don’t know it’s 4 min 33 sec of silence for the audience to interpret as they will.
A rapper complaining about someone stealing his music for other uses? That’s rich.
In the 60s a 1%er was an outlaw biker, the kind who gave the other 99% of motorcycle enthusiasts a bad name. They took it as a badge of dishonor and wore 1% patches on their denim vests.
Now 1%er is a charge of derision at those who are successful in society. They must’ve screwed somebody over to get that much. They must’ve cheated the government out of it. They don’t need that much, etc...
The actual dollar amounts don’t matter to the deadly sinners who engage in lust and greed for another man’s possessions.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.