I did not post the article, neverdem did. I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that the toxicity of mercury compounds has been proved. Perhaps you were referring to elemental mercury.
I’ve read that elemental mercury is not particularly toxic. Some mercury compounds, that can be absorbed during digestion, destroy the liver. The ones that cannot be digested are harmless. Mercury compounds used to be used as a medication to alleviate the symptoms of syphilis. Don’t try this at home.