Skip to comments.Poll: Half of Americans believe people can be possessed by the Devil or spirits
Posted on 09/18/2013 2:14:55 PM PDT by Kip Russell
These are the topline results of a YouGov survey of 1000 US adults interviewed September 12 - 13, 2013 on exorcism and possession. The results show that half of Americans believe in possession although most say it happens infrequently. The margin of error is 3%.
(Click here to see full tables and demographic crossbreaks)
Do you personally believe in the existence of the Devil or not? Yes . . . 57% No . . . 28% Dont know . . .15%
Do you believe someone can be possessed by the devil or some other evil spirit? Yes . . 51% No . . .28% Dont know . . 20%
How often do you think people are possessed by the devil? Very Frequently . . . 6% Frequently . . .9% Occasionally . . 29% Rarely . . . 45% Never . . .11%
Some churches have a ceremony called exorcism, which is designed to drive the Devil or evil spirits out of a person. Do you believe in the power of exorcism or not?
Yes, I believe in the power of exorcism . . . 46% No, I dont believe in the power of exorcism . . .19% Dont know . . . 36%
Religion does make a great deal of difference in the level of belief (not exactly a shock) with the highest levels of belief in possession among Christians (59% to 72%, depending on denomination or lack thereof) and Muslims (49%). Only 26% of those who described there religion as "none" believe in possession, but they're not the most skeptical group...that would be Jews, with only 11% believing in it.
One odd result is that while 28% of Americans, when asked whether they believe in the Devil, answer "No", 89% of them believe that people are at least occasionally possessed by the Devil. That makes 17% of Americans who seem to be contradicting themselves.
Not only do I believe that people can be possessed by the Devil or evil demons, I think I may actually know a few.
Not necessarily, those that say there is not a devil, but believe that people can be possessed by a spirit are likely referring to human spirits. After all, mediums are said to be "possessed" by a spirit when they are "channeling."
I'm normally quite skeptical of anything involving the supernatural, but I must admit...that's a convincing argument! :-)
And the other half are wrong.
I believe that Bammy, H0lder, Pelosi and Reid are possessed.
Possession explains Big Ears Barry and the Deamoncrats and possibly most of the Repuglickins in Congress. I think it works for Simon from Idol also.
I have always believed in possession all jokes aside.
Right now, I am possessed by spirits. The Johnny Walker kind. Otherwise, Why would I be posting??
In any case, being a True Believer, I am convinced that this country is nearly completely in the throes of Demonic Possession.
Look to your Savior. Protect your family. Prepare for every contingency.
Most of Congress is.
The photo speaks for itself.
Luke 10:18, in the original Hebrew, states it nicely...
You sound sober
While there almost certainly are people with just those beliefs, the questions in the poll were:
Do you personally believe in the existence of the Devil or not? No: 28%
Do you believe someone can be possessed by the devil or some other evil spirit? No: 28%
How often do you think people are possessed by the devil? Never: 11% (leaving 89% to answer at least "rarely")
Question; lighting makes a crack when it strikes the ground. Do you think Satan crack or thuded when he hit?
It was a soft landing. Chris Matthews and Katie Couric broke his fall...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.