Skip to comments.
In Obama’s war on leaks, reporters fight back
The Washington Post ^
| Leonard Downie Jr
Posted on 10/05/2013 12:37:44 PM PDT by Beave Meister
Leonard Downie, a former executive editor of The Washington Post, is the Weil family professor of journalism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University. This article is based on his report The Obama Administration and the Press, forthcoming Thursday from the Committee to Protect Journalists.
In the Watergate era, the Nixon administrations telephone wiretaps were the biggest concern for journalists and sources worried about government surveillance. That was one of the reasons why Bob Woodward met with FBI official Mark Felt (a.k.a. Deep Throat) in an underground parking garage in Arlington, and why he and Carl Bernstein did much of their reporting by knocking on the front doors of their sources homes. Except for the aborted prosecution of Daniel Ellsberg for the leak of the Pentagon Papers, criminal culpability or pervasive surveillance were not major concerns, especially after Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in 1974.
Not so now. With the passage of the Patriot Act after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a vast expansion of intelligence agencies and their powers, the aggressive exploitation of intrusive digital surveillance capabilities, the excessive classification of public documents and officials sophisticated control of the news medias access to the workings of government, journalists who cover national security are facing vast and unprecedented challenges in their efforts to hold the government accountable to its citizens. They find that government officials are increasingly fearful of talking to them, and they worry that their communications with sources can be monitored at any time.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
KEYWORDS: bobschieffer; cbs; communist; corruption; coup; deepthroat; democrats; doj; fraud; georgeorwell; journalists; leaks; leonarddownie; liberals; lyingliarslying; msm; news; newyorktimes; nixon; nyt; obama; obamacare; washingtonpost; watergate
Whenever Im asked what is the most manipulative and secretive administration Ive covered, I always say its the one in office now, Bob Schieffer, CBS News anchor and chief Washington correspondent, told me. Every administration learns from the previous administration. They become more secretive and put tighter clamps on information. This administration exercises more control than George W. Bushs did, and his before that.
Welcome to the party Bob. But you'd probably still vote for him two more times if you could.
To: Beave Meister
They find that government officials are increasingly fearful of talking to them, and they worry that their communications with sources can be monitored at any time.
Gee, maybe they could speak out about it.
posted on 10/05/2013 12:39:26 PM PDT
( Isaiah 22:22, Matthew 16:19, Revelation 3:7)
To: Beave Meister
If these jackoffs want to fight back— allow me to suggest that they just start reporing like real journalists.
posted on 10/05/2013 12:49:06 PM PDT
A memo went out from the chief of staff a year ago to White "House employees and the intelligence agencies that told people to freeze and retain any e-mail, and presumably phone logs, of communications with me, Sanger said. As a result, longtime sources no longer talk to him. They tell me: David, I love you, but dont e-mail me. Lets dont chat until this blows over. Sanger, who has worked for the Times in Washington for two decades, said, This is most closed, control-freak administration Ive ever covered. When will they go postal on this administration?
posted on 10/05/2013 12:54:13 PM PDT
by Beave Meister
(Die Hard Cubs Fan.....if it takes forever.)
To: Beave Meister
NEVER...These Urinalists are WHORES and they sold their body and soul to the DEMOCRAT PARTY!!
posted on 10/05/2013 1:09:42 PM PDT
by Ann Archy
(Abortion......the Human Sacrifice to the god of Convenience.)
To: AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Berosus; bigheadfred; Bockscar; cardinal4; ColdOne; ...
Thanks Beave Meister.
That was one of the reasons why Bob Woodward met with FBI official Mark Felt (a.k.a. "Deep Throat") in an underground parking garage in Arlington, and why he and Carl Bernstein did much of their reporting by knocking on the front doors of their sources' homes. Except for the aborted prosecution of Daniel Ellsberg for the leak of the Pentagon Papers, criminal culpability or pervasive surveillance were not major concerns, especially after Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in 1974.
Yeah, right, the wiretaps were already known, sure they were. So it made more sense to meet in person, because it would be impossible to tail one or both to these rendezvous, particularly after the leaks started to be published. Ridiculous. Instead of blaming the Patriot Act, put the blame where it belongs -- on the anti-American Kenyan-born Muzzie jihadist in the White House.
posted on 10/05/2013 4:51:41 PM PDT
(It's no coincidence that some "conservatives" echo the hard left.)
Thanks again Beave Meister. Zero's war on US citizens? Not a peep out of the Partisan Media Shills. Leonard Downie keyword:
- NYT reporter: Obama admin "most closed, control-freak administration I've ever covered"
- Leonard Downie: Obama's war on leaks undermines investigative journalism
- Romancing the Source
- George Soros: Media Mogul (Lefty Businessman Spends Millions Funding Journalism)
- With WaPo Approval, Illegal Alien Reporter Used Fake ID to Report From White House
- Why Don't We Hear About Soros' Ties to Over 30 Major News Organizations?
- Former Washington Post Editor Len Downie: Huffington Post a 'Parasite'
- The National Enquirer Earns Some Respect (for exposing John Edwards)
- No news is bad news (Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- Subsidies For News? ( "The Reconstruction of American Journalism")
- Zenith: More Losses for Newspapers, Mags in 2010-2011 (Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- Finding a new model for news reporting
- Washington Post Signals Shift With a New Editor
- Washington Post Editor Leonard Downie Jr. Stepping Down (Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- Sources: WaPo Executive Editor Leonard Downie Out in '09 (Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- Venerable Newspapers Face Extinction
- At Web Site for Journalists, a Campaign Article Becomes a Melee (Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- THE END GAME: Clinton Hits Rough Patch As Iowa Showdown Nears (Barf Alert)
- WashPost critic apologizes for e-mail
- WWWT Talk Radio to Replace Post's Programming (Boortz, O'Reilly, Beck, Steph Miller)
- Technology will soon transfer the power to set the national conversation from a few in NY/DC
- Len Downie's (WaPo Editor) Lap Dance With Drag Queen (Coverup/Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- [Washington] Post Newsroom Not Smiling as Downie Calls Thursday Meeting [cutbacks?]
- Nothing but Net (Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- Downie Announces Major Shifts at 'Wash Post'
- Memo from (WaPo) exec editor Downie (Deck Chair Re-arrangement Alert/Dinosaur Media DeathWatch™)
- Bob Woodward's source could again be Richard Armitage( rehash scandal story alert)
- Steiger, Downie Refused to Join Keller/Baquet Op-Ed (WSJ & WaPo Decline to Defend NYT/LAT Treason)
- WaPo: National Security Up To Editors, Not Government
- A traitor in the midst
- CIA officer fired over media leak was key senior analyst
- 'Post' Editor Hits 'Criminalization' of Leaks to Media Len Downie
- Lunch with Ben Bradlee: From Guadacanal to Iraq (Interview With a Living Artifact)
- 'Washington Post' To Cut 80 Newsroom Jobs, Sources Say (Dinosaur Media Extinction Alert!!)
- Abu Ghraib Images Spark Debate [Abu Ghraib versus cartoons]
- Cartoon Wars
- (Philadelphia) 'Inquirer' One of Few U.S. Papers to Publish 'Muhammad' Cartoon
- U.S. Newspapers Decline to Publish 'Muhammad' Cartoons
- Serious Questions on Sourcing in Mine 'Rescue' Story Remain
- Woodward Failed His Readers By Holding Back What He Knew
- Plame drama thickens, or does it?
- Washington Post rebukes Bob Woodward
- Mr. Woodward's Sources (Blech!)
- Cia-gate becomes Woodward-gate
- Why Woodward's Source Came Clean
- What Woodward Knew
- Bob Woodward Honored as Mr. Run Amok 2005
- Woodward Defends Role in CIA Leak Probe [Update]
- Woodward Claim on CIA Leak Disputes Charge
- Woodward Apologizes to Post for Withholding Knowledge of Plame
- Pincus: Woodward 'Asked Me to Keep Him Out' of Plame Reporting
- MD4BUSH Asked To Come Forward
- Washington Post Now Claims "Authorized" to Access MD4BUSH Account
- Free Republic.com to Speak About MD4BUSH and the Washington Post at Press Conference Nov. 4
- WPost Insider: Colleagues "Cheer Unabashedly for the Democrats"
- Swapping Scoops
- NYT [New York Times], WP [Washington Post] send each other copies of their next day's A1
- Post Goes for the Jugular of Roberts' Children -- (how tacky, but how predictable!)
- Woodward Confirms Felt is "Deep Throat"
- Washington Post Ignores Battered Justice for Male Victims
- MD4BUSH...Who Are You? [O'Malley -- Democrat sleaze]
- Open Letter to the Editor of the Washington Post
- Justice Reviews Request for Probe Of Satellite Reports
- Revolt at the Post -- (Brohaha over what color the editors are!)
- LIBERAL MEDIA'S QUANDARY
- Anti-Gay Marriage Advertorial Rankles 'Washington Post' Readers
- Post Discusses Circulation, Diversity( going USAtoday route)
- Post Mortem
- Going Downriver: The Washington Post Takes A Powder
- Distrust of media harms democracy
- Missing the point
- Editors Grapple With How to Cover Swift Boat Controversy
- Washington Post joins Kerry in maligning swiftboat vets: paper losing readers
- Unfit for command?
- The Bias Wars
- Cheney: 'I Felt Better' After Cussing Out Leaky Leahy
- The Age of Comparative Atrocity: American shame; Islamist snuff movies
- Falling Down
- The Guidelines We Use to Report the News (Washington Post Says 'Trust Us--Not the Internet')
- The 20th Hijacker Arrives (sickening Cartoon in Washington Post Feb17/04)
- U.S. Newspapers Tread Lightly in Rumor of Kerry Infidelity
- Alleged Kerry Affair with Intern Draws Media Attention
- Kerry sex scandal lurking? [Teresa promised to "maim" Kerry if he ever cheated on her!]
- Will Press Pounce on Drudge's Kerry Rumor?
- Boston Globe to Probe Kerry Private Affairs
- Premier Wen on China's economic system
- Schwarzenegger Prompts Role Reversal Among Media
- MARK STEYN: The Falklands War is a model of fierce good sense
- Washington Post agrees to sell stake in International Herald Tribune to New York Times
- A case history in the culture of lies: The Washington Post (Left-Wing Gigglefest Alert!)
- CNN CROSSFIRE 4-25=02 Transcript (See David Brock LIE!!!)
- N.Y. Times Wins Record 7 Pulitzers
- A Bit Of Wisdom From The Left
- ARE CNN AND ATHE AMERICAN MEDIA ELITE, CATRO'S PUPPETS?
- Peter Jennings facing issue of media ethics at Miami town meeting (LETTUCE ROLL!!!)
- Here No Evil, SUV No Evil: Is suburbia anathema to reporters?
- News Media Protest Lack of Access
- News Media Protest Lack of Access at Marine Base
posted on 10/06/2013 11:11:23 AM PDT
(It's no coincidence that some "conservatives" echo the hard left.)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson