I had two blow up, but no flames. Good grief, flames? One blew up in our bedroom over the bed, another in our family room over a couch. After cleaning up the mess, we banned CFL bulbs from our house, and stocked up on as many incandescent bulbs as we could store. People, don't use CFL's in living quarters!
We stocked up on quite a few of the old light bulbs as we had room for, but how I wish we could get them back again. After asking around, not a single person that I’ve spoken with disposes of these CFL’s at a recycling center. All of them go into the regular trash and on to landfills. It won’t be long until water tables are contaminated with mercury!!! When will D.C. ever learn that they aren’t qualified to make our choice for us!!!???
I've used them for over ten years. Never had one "blow up" or catch on fire. Also, in the living quarters the lamps are inside fixtures that contain the lamp. No worries here.