Skip to comments.Woman Killed After Hair and Scarf Caught in Escalator
Posted on 01/31/2014 2:10:43 PM PST by nickcarraway
On Thursday, a woman was killed after her hair and scarf were caught in an escalator at the Montreal metro. The scarf apparently strangled the woman.
A local newspaper reported that a woman who was 48 years of age had her scarf caught in the teeth of the escalator on Thursday morning. The newspaper report said that when the womans scarf became tangled in the moving escalator she bent over in an attempt to free herself and her hair then became stuck as well in the escalator. A person who was nearby call 911, but when police and rescue arrived the woman was said to have already died. The paper said she had been strangled by her own scarf.
A Montreal ambulance service spokesperson, Bob Lamle, said on Thursday that he had never seen something like that happen in his career of 30 years.
Lamle added that the first responders and firefighters who arrived there quickly began giving the woman heart resuscitation. Then rescue technicians arrived and started aiding the woman but there were no vital signs and she was declared dead. At the bottom and top of each escalator, an emergency button that stops the escalator is located for such emergencies. All escalators that serve the Montreal metro have the emergency buttons. It is unknown if anyone had pressed the emergency stop button when the woman became entangled and started to struggle to become free.
Users of the metro were shocked when they heard the news that a person had been killed while on the escalator as it was something many of them do on several occasions daily.
One user, who is just 13 years of age, said he was traumatized by what had happened since he uses the same escalator each day.
He said he would be very wary of having any shoelaces or other pieces of fabric loose when entering the escalator each morning and afternoon. An engineer that has worked on the systems escalators for over nine years said they have safety mechanisms that should prevent such accidents.
Not a scarf, a hijab, in other less PC reports.
It’s rare but I have heard of other strangulation deaths on escalators when something gets caught.
I’ll wager that more people are strangled by escalators than are shot with assault weapons.
Perhaps this was a case of using a suicide Burkha without the explosives.
Exactly how long was her hair???
Was Benny Hill fast music playing while this was going on?
Isadore Duncan, you’re wanted on the white courtesy phone...
I took my then 5 year old son to a Cowboy at Texas Stadium quite a few years back. We were riding the escalator and he tripped. My heart sunk because it looked like his foot was going to get trapped. Luckily he was fine.
A muslim woman was caught?
Poor Isadora. What a way to go. I always make sure my fringe scarves are held flat agaist my chest when getting on the subway. Horrible death.
Years ago, a grandmother was taking her twin grandkids on the Metro in DC. The coat of one of the kids got caught in the treads and the child died. Dying by strangulation on an escalator is uncommon, but not impossible.
That’s a long coat.
Was the Muzzie doing handstands on the escalator as she rode it???
Escalator scene from Elf.
Yes, because all Muslims are evil, deserve to be treated rudely, and don’t deserve sympathy.
Only the good, observant Muslims.
I once saw a co-worker whose pants were caught up in a farm tractor PTO shaft.
Too hideous to describe here.
As the article said, there are emergency stop buttons but you can't reach them if you're caught.
I had my shoe pulled off by an escalator. It grabbed my shoestring and sucked my shoe off my foot before I could respond. I got the shoe back but the shoestring was toast
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.