Skip to comments.Man dies after being bitten by a common household SPIDER: dismissed tiny bite to the neck....
Posted on 02/28/2014 4:58:25 AM PST by dennisw
Ronald Reese, 62, of Lakeland, Florida died February 16 from complications from a brown recluse spider bite Reese was bitten on this neck in August and numerous related illnesses and hospital stays followed
A 62-year-old Florida man's February 16 death is being blamed on a brown recluse spider bite, a fatality so rare that statistics aren't even kept for them. Ronald Reese was bitten in the neck by the spider, which are usually about the size of a U.S. quarter, all the way back in August while clearing out an old house. What followed were six agonizing months of related illnesses as the Lakeland man clung to life with an abscess eating away toward his spine until he finally let go last week.
Reese managed to make it home that day in August after he was bitten, but by the following day his father told TheLedger.com that his son could barely get out of bed. Days after that, a paralyzed Reese collapsed. The Polk County Medical Examiner deemed his death the result of complications from a spider bite, but between his collapse and his eventual death, Reese suffered terribly.
Reese's 88-year-old father William Reese said his son went through numerous procedures and was in and out of the hospital, but nothing seemed to work.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...
Ugh, what a way to go..
Spray more insecticide!
So, where is the outcry from Mares against spider violence? One of my former work buddies got bitten by a Brown Recluse. Didn’t kill him be sure caused a big chunk of his thigh to be taken out. Nasty little devils.
The pictures online of those spider bites scare the beejesus out of me.
People should have drawing salve and activated charcoal on hand to draw out the venom of a spider bite.
I got bit by one last spring. It sucked. Was hiding in my sweatshirt. It was unbelievably painful for about a week, the it started to heal. Thankfully it didn’t break open. Needless to say, I would rather not go through it again.
My brother developed progressive cellulitis from a BR spider bite that after several years, took his life.
Maybe if all of the brown recluses in MO were shipped to NJ or NY ...
Years ago a recluse bit me on my thigh...ended up with a hole I could put my fist in before it finally healed. I can only imagine how bad it would be to get bit neck/head/face.
It may be rare to die of this, but as we see even from the comments here this is a very dangerous creature.
I think they are found throughout the US.
Spiders ain’t insects - but that stuff’ll kill ‘em anyhow!
talk about bad luck
the brown recluse is a nasty little beast
Worst bite I ever had, worse than a pygmy rattler. I ended up with a secondary infection in my mastoid sinuses that kept me sick for almost a year.
I lived with many brown recluse spiders in west Tennessee.
My last home and business was an old 2 story school building
that was full of them. The recluse is also known as a “fiddle back” because of the violin shape mark on its back.
It looks like any small common spider.
When bitten, one will see a small blister which will, within a short time, collapse and create a volcano shaped blister. You will not likely feel anything when it bites you.
It is imperative that you get immediate treatment, consisting of massive doses of cortisone by injections. If untreated, the bight will begin to rot the skin around it, often requiring plastic surgery.
The spider was unknown in many areas, such as Tennessee, prior to the 1970s, or so. It has spread across the US in shipping shipping cartons, as people move from state to state.
They hitch rides in packing crates and luggage and can show up way beyond their natural range.
It sounds odd and painful but apparently it does work.
It involves an electrical charge passed through the site of the wound. The most common way is to use the charge created by the start of a lawnmower. Remove the wire from the spark plug. Ground one side of the wound to the tip of the plug or body of the engine. The spark plug wire goes on the skin on the other side of the wound. A fast pull on the starter cord does the trick. Something about the low current/high voltage charge that destroys the venom...whether it's the enzymes in it that get zapped or something else, I don't know.
If ever I get bit I intend to try it immediately. Call me nuts but modern medical science has no cure. I would be looking to old time cures if it were me.
Reading all of the anecdotes about brown recluse spider bite effects that have been posted in less than 15 minutes, I wonder how rare these problems are.
That is awful! I have an elderly brother in law (84) who lives in the Texas panhandle. My son & dau-in-law went by to check on him about 3 weeks ago and found his house FULL of the spiders...even in his bedroom under the bed! They called an exterminator out immediately to take care of the problem. He is an independant ol’ cuss and won’t have a housekeeper “because they might steal something.” No bites so far!
Yes. I know that black widow spiders have been found here in Massachusetts in bags of grapes at the market. Brown recluse spiders have also found their way here in similar ways, brought in as “hitchhikers”.
Colorado is not a bad place to be. :)
Those things terrify me. I have/had them in my sheds and a few in my house. I tried a lot of things, but a powder I bought from a DIY pest control company seems to be working.
The pictures online of those spider bites scare the beejesus out of me.
Apparently their bite is not poisonous but it carries a flesh eating bacteria. That’s why you have to remove the flesh close to the bite. If you don’t you end up with pictures of your thumb, etc. on the internet to scare everyone. ;-)
I used to hate jumping spiders (the only spider that has ever bitten me and it was worse than a bee sting) but no more. I found out they are a natural predator to Brown Recluses.
Meanwhile I found four or five black widows on my property last year.
Don’t know you’ve been bit most of the time.
Side note, we like in WA and are thinking of relocating to KY? How do you like it? We have been in the NW for a very long time, did you transition well?
Unless you're a fan of the second amendment
I’m wondering where did he go for treatment? Was he offered hyperbaric oxygen along with advanced wound care?
I lived in the Seattle area for 45 years. My transition was a piece of cake, except it took me two years to find “paying” work in my field. In hindsight it is because I went about it wrong. There is lots of work if you are in IT.
The only thing I hate is the bugs. You don’t just lay down in the grass around here and bug spray is NOT optional if you walk in the woods. Chiggers are an awful thing to get.
All that said, the people are wonderful and the climate is spectacular. It gets colder than Seattle but winter is MUCH shorter. The frost actually goes deeper into the ground in Seattle. And traffic is simply not an issue here.
Been here about 2.5 years now. We just bought the ~20 acres next to the place we originally bought. The property taxes are just a hair more PER YEAR than my monthly car payment on the car in the slide show. And the total price for BOTH properties was just over one year’s Seattle wages.
What a beautiful place.
In the PacNW the brown recluse is really the only spider you have to worry about. We have the hobo too, but the BR is the real baddy, and hangs out in wood piles.
We teach Scouts how to gather wood from piles - knocking them against the ground before gathering them up in their arms.
It’s the necrotizing that really does it. I had an Asst. Scoutmaster get bit on the posterior while working as a plumber. Out for three weeks. Doofus wouldn’t get treatment after begging him to do so.
It’s true, they do a sort of Mohr’s surgery to make sure the last tissue cut is free of the bad bacteria.
I have a friend who successfully used this on himself to treat a brown recluse bite and had absolutely no ill effects. As he told me it's half a second of pain (the shock) to avoid months of agony.
More info here: Electric Shock Treatment For Venomous Insect Bites
My son got bit on the back. Drained and antibiotics. Lots of them round here!
I would NEVER have “dismissed” a bite from a spider “the size of a U.S. Quarter.” I would have been hysterical, and at the ER in minutes.
That is very interesting, having snuffed a handful of these critters here in FL, I’m going to file this one away. Thanks!
PS - I did a very quick search and see that others have used homemade leads run off of a stun gun to accomplish the same thing. Looks like a nice add to the casual internet research list.
Also stumbled upon this:
The biological basis for the mechanism behind the shock is:
The current will influence the hydrogen bonds of the enzymes, destroying their secondary and tertiary structure.
The high voltage, low amperage current applied will reduce metal ions and zinc, copper, magnesium, iron, or calcium ions, which are firmly bound to some venom enzymes and are mandatory cofactors for these enzymes.
The electric particles interfere with the membrane as well as the positive charged polypeptides, decreasing their cytotoxic properties.
Taken together the protective high-voltage treatment for venomous bites is at least in part due to action of the electrical current on the venom itself.
Surgery prior to this type of treatment is not the answer since the venom has not been neutralized and the wound will break down again within a few weeks or months. This is well documented.
Rest in peace.
Maybe he has been bit but is such a tough son of a gun that it never bothered him.
I use sticky traps that fold into a tent to catch spiders. You can buy them on Ebay for cheap. I put them along the wall.
You might try using those.