Skip to comments.Hair of the dog: Miracle vodka cure saves puppy from certain death [w/pix, video]
Posted on 03/09/2014 9:52:19 PM PDT by Slings and Arrows
For many people, arriving at A&E at deaths door and being told the only way for you to survive was to get blind drunk would count as a result.
Thats the situation Maltese terrier Charlie found himself in after being left with hours to live after licking coolant from his owner Jacinta Rosewarnes garage.
Quick-thinking vets deduced that the little dog had ethylene glycol poisoning, which can lead to kidney failure and the only treatment was to get him as drunk as possible.
Because pure alcohol can alter antifreeze chemicals and allow them to be flushed out of an animals body, Charlie was given 700ml of vodka over two days via a tube.
Animal Accident & Emergency wrote on its blog: For the whole weekend, Charlie had a huge party with us in the Pet ICU.
It almost certainly saved his life but also left him with an almighty hangover.
He was definitely drunk, said Ms Rosewarne, from Melbourne, in Australia, told the Herald Sun.
He was stumbling around, Id go to pat him and hed push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk.
She added: I thought it was hilarious. It was distressing but funny at the same time.
For the record, alcohol does not "alter antifreeze chemicals and allow them to be flushed out of an animals body" - it competes with ethylene glycol for alcohol dehydrogenase, and thus interrupts the chain of reactions that transforms antifreeze into toxic metabolites. (Yes, I had to say that.)
The mind boggles.
“To save this dog, we must get it blitzed!”
“Bring out the 151!!”
Later on, dog and man are blind drunk, and griping about sports..
Thanks for posting this! I had no idea that there was and “antidote” for ethylene glycol poisoning. Thought it was a sure death sentence for any animal (including human) who consumed this stuff.
You’re very welcome. It also works for methanol poisoning.
*chuckle* Great visual.
Time for a couple shots for me! Damn time change!
Science slam dunk award!
You don’t need to take the ethylene glycol first, you know.
My pharmacy professors would be pleased.
That was also done in an old episode of House.
Help for antifreeze poisoning is iffy at best.
(And a thousand bloody curses on those who poison pets)
[cue “Hair of the Dog” by Nazareth]
(Can’t imagine thinking it was funny, had it been my dog)
“You dont need to take the ethylene glycol first, you know.”
Oh! Great! Now you tell me!
Aye, but now you know what to do...
FWIW, the funny seems to have a strong element of gallows humor.
*dog has a paw on mans shoulder. Both are egregiously drunk and swaying side to side*
“Now..ness time tha ref bloass a cuhall...I wan you ta bite’m!”
Dog gives a bubbling growl, laps more whiskey, wags tail.
“Now hang on there doc! You know dogs and sports talk don’t mix while drunk!”
Doc looks at his assistant, then the dog.
“Bite’m too!” Doc said, pointing at his assistant.
Dog stumbles over, hiccups, trips, then lazily chews on toe of assistant’s shoe.
“*heavy sigh* Oh, ow. Agony, I am undone. Woe unto me, my end is nigh.” the assistant recited to the hearty tail wag thump at his feet.
> Help for antifreeze poisoning is iffy at best.
For humans, the prognosis is very good. (I’m guessing you were talking about dogs.)
I have to focus more on “drunk dog” as antifreeze poisoning rescue has been unsuccessful in my experience.
I’ve known this “cure” and kept it close for a long time because of the psycho up the hill.
He tried it once but “the grapevine chatter” afterword must’ve dissuaded him from another try.
I have the biggest UV flashlight you’ve ever seen, I bet.
I still check the yard for anything “glowing”. ..and he can see me doing it.
He can see the IR lights on the security camera facing his house, too..
May he rot in a thousand pieces, mourned only by the sound of the animals who use his cranium as a urinal.
Is the first line even in English?
I was going to make the same point. The enzymes that digest the antifreeze prefer the alcohol, and let the ethylene glycol pass harmlessly. So remember to get good and drunk before imbibing your favorite antifreeze.
could they also give the dog activated charcoal to absorb some of the toxic antifreeze as well?
Hm, which do you prefer: PEAK or Prestone?
Ah, the benefits of a bartending education.
Wikipedia says no, as activated charcoal does not adsorb glycols. Also (my opinion only), since antifreeze is liquid, it’s going to leave the GI tract pretty quickly, at which point activated charcoal would be useless.
So, If;m I’mma gonna set aside a “dose” for myself, a 250 pound man, just in case I accidentally like antifreeze off’n me driveway, what size dose do you think I’d need for optimum health?
Sorry, but I am NOT licensed to give medical advice. All I can suggest is that you avoid licking strange puddles on your driveway.
With luck he will cross the wrong person.
What if the strange puddle licks you instead?
Co2 laser his tires.
Nice hot day, oh gee. . tires melted.
Would also play havoc with ir cameras.
> What if the strange puddle licks you instead?
Tine to cut down on the LSD.
Or possibly “time”.
A Ford Prefect/Arthur Dent moment?
“It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.” said Ford.
“What’s so bad about that?” said Arthur.
“Ask a glass of water.” Ford replied.
Interesting!! A few years ago doggie got too curious about a porcupine and got rewarded with quills in his nose area about 20 of them. Obviously his nose is a very tender sensitive area.
He was in a so much pain and excitability we could not extract the quills (with pliers) until we poured some whisky down his mouth which was also difficult. We should have mixed it with water.
Once he was drunk we got the quills out
I have a born in Poland friend and he says beer is a soft drink that you cannot really get drunk on. BTW why do people drink that awful piss called lite beer?
I'm glad you did, good science.
Why cirrhosis or some other alcoholic malady has not floored him, I’ll never know.
He knows he is loathed by the whole neighborhood so I think he keeps going out of sheer spite.
Or, the devil really does look after his own.
If a strange Puddle licks you, you should just give it a nice, friendly pat on the head...:)
“The poodle is believed to have originated in Germany, where it was known as the Pudelhund. Pudel (cognate with the English word “puddle”), is derived from the Low German verb meaning “to splash about”, and the word Hund in German means “dog” (cognate with “hound”).”
[yes, this *is* how my mind works]
Latter part most likely.
Lived across the street from a guy who fancied himself a woodsman.
He was a person of interest in the disappearance of a fish game and wildlife officer.
He would try to harm neighborhood animals, neglected his horse, and simply bugged out one fine day.
That our other neighbor and friend had tried pinning the creep to his own front door with a huge knife because the creep had tried to attack the neighbors missus couldn’t possibly be a reason.
The vehicular vandalism previous that the creep did was also legion.
So when he finally fled after ticking everyone off, we all said “aww, pity” and laughed.
Sounds like a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster moment.
Similar to how mine meanders.
Last puddle I ran across was a mix, pompud.
He, uh, was able to not visibly move yet the tongue came from wildly differing locations in his mass of fur.
He also loved being a knotted up mess.
“Dog, you are a fright of dreadlocks. Dogs. Don’t. Wear. Dreadlocks!”
He’d lick his nose and wag.
Then scream bloody murder if you tried to trim his furr.
The computer gets confused by tea.
Ethanol *is* a sedative/hypnotic drug. Not usually used as such in a veterinary context, though.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.