Skip to comments.Virginia Democrat: "Members of Congress Underpaid"
Posted on 04/04/2014 8:21:50 AM PDT by ThethoughtsofGreg
Despite what constituents outside of Washington might think, members of Congress are underpaid, a House Legislative Branch appropriator suggested Thursday.
Virginia Democrat James P. Moran said he plans to highlight the injustice by introducing an amendment to the Legislative Branch bill during its full committee markup, and at floor consideration of the bill. Moran made the comments while the bill that funds members $174,000 salaries was being marked up in the Legislative Branch subcommittee.
I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid, Moran told CQ Roll Call. I understand that its widely felt that they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world.
The senior appropriator pointed out that some members have taken to living out of their offices to save money, while others have small little apartment units that make it impossible to spend the time they should with their families.
(Excerpt) Read more at 3.blogs.rollcall.com ...
Is this guy joking? Please tell me this is a belated April Fools
Royalty should earn more than the peasants. Oh, wait. I think we rebelled against that sort of thing awhile back.
how much they get in freebies?
Please read the Constitution . It was never meant to be a lifetime job.
Check out Dingy Hairy's wealth accumulation over the years to see that he makes plenty-o-dollar$.
Let the American People have a say in your pay, first dip stick!
tell them to go find a real job.
A winning Senator spends on average $10 million for his campaign. If he’s primaried the price goes up. (John McCain spent 23 million on his last primary fight alone.) A winning Representative spends, on average $3.1 million dollars, assuming no primary fight.
With few exceptions Representatives and Senators increase their net value exponentially above their “pay” during their time in office. They run, apparently, not for the pay but for the perks.
Perhaps they are underpaid but the bennies, especially the insider trading, more than makes up for it. Amazing how many millionares are created from those measily salaries.
Elected representatives should make the median imcome of their respective districts. For example, a Federal Senator representing Illinois should make the average salary from that state. And if that means the special little piggy can’t live in DC - then boo hoo. We have the technology to make the virtual commute from home.
pay them $10.10 per hour
There are a very small handful who who aren’t soaking up millions on the side. For that small handful, $170,000 or whatever isn’t huge money
Maybe we should do the democrat thing and go with to each according to his needs. We could stop paying 90% of them and let them fund the remaining 10%.
...you just ain't doing something right!
Article 1 Section 6.
“Members of Congress Underpaid” is kinda surprising coming from James Moran who is retiring from Congress.
We usually hear this from a member who has been caught or indited for receiving bribes.
But, there may be more to his retirement than we have heard.