Skip to comments.They're Not Melting: 87% of Himalayan Glaciers Are ‘Stable’
Posted on 05/13/2014 11:55:01 PM PDT by Olog-hai
Nearly 87 percent of Himalayan glaciers are currently stable, neither melting nor advancing, according to a new study that cast further doubt on claims that melting glacial ice will help cause a dramatic rise in sea levels this century.
Often referred to as the Third Pole, the Himalayans contain one of the largest concentrations of glaciers outside the polar regions, according to the study by a group of Indian researchers that was published in the April 2014 edition of Current Science.
(Excerpt) Read more at cnsnews.com ...
The horses must be very cold.
“Nearly 87 percent of Himalayan glaciers are currently stable,
Gore fanboys: “But, but the other 13% is due to global warming right, right??”
Max, are you blind? Those 13% are the most endangered of them all!
That’s the problem with you conservatives. You just ignore the obvious to push your “87%” propaganda while completely skipping over the most endangered 13% of glaciers to ever have existed.
They are a minority! Deal with it Max. Deal with the realit...wait...Arent Glaciers white? WE MUST STOP THE OPPRESSION!!! 87% of the glaciers sit there in their gated canyons unconcerned with the suffering of the 13%! WE ARE THE 13%!!!
Those glaciers better check their privilege.
The included link to the Times article no longer works. I copied the text from an online forum.
World misled over Himalayan glacier meltdown
The west Himalayan range includes 15,000 glaciers
A WARNING that climate change will melt most of the Himalayan glaciers by 2035 is likely to be retracted after a series of scientific blunders by the United Nations body that issued it.
Two years ago the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued a benchmark report that was claimed to incorporate the latest and most detailed research into the impact of global warming. A central claim was the world's glaciers were melting so fast that those in the Himalayas could vanish by 2035.
In the past few days the scientists behind the warning have admitted that it was based on a news story in the New Scientist, a popular science journal, published eight years before the IPCC's 2007 report.
It has also emerged that the New Scientist report was itself based on a short telephone interview with Syed Hasnain, a little-known Indian scientist then based at Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.
Hasnain has since admitted that the claim was "speculation" and was not supported by any formal research. If confirmed it would be one of the most serious failures yet seen in climate research. The IPCC was set up precisely to ensure that world leaders had the best possible scientific advice on climate change.
Professor Murari Lal, who oversaw the chapter on glaciers in the IPCC report, said he would recommend that the claim about glaciers be dropped: "If Hasnain says officially that he never asserted this, or that it is a wrong presumption, than I will recommend that the assertion about Himalayan glaciers be removed from future IPCC assessments."
Such claims are often captured in the scientific literature as "unpublished observations" or "personal communications." They are used to provide supporting evidence, and are never a major claim.
Research into the global warming hypothesis is an exercise in prediction: when the temperatures increase, we will see this horrible catastrophic event! That is not science. It is inappropriate to make predictions about future events in such a manner, since the basic premise has not been tested. I have yet to see the publication of experimental or observational data supporting the basic premise of human-caused global climate change. Without that, every other claim is bunk.
Al Gore said it...so it must be true....
Where can I buy some carbon credits...? / S
Between this nonsense and homosexuality being rammed down our throats...
I’m about to go hiberate until 2016....
If it wasn’t for the new 24 series I would sell my idiot box....
If there is real global warming, how come the Arctic Ocean ice cap has been huge in the past few years and why the ice floe melt on the Great Lakes have been slow this year? (They had trouble running boats to Mackinac Island in Michigan this spring because there was still too much ice in Lake Huron.)
87% are stable, and the other 13% moved to Antarctica.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.