Skip to comments.Man Catches Fire Lighting Cigarette
Posted on 05/20/2014 3:29:07 PM PDT by nickcarraway
A man caught fire Tuesday morning near a liquor store in Northeast.
It happened around 10:20 a.m. in a parking lot off Benning Road.
Witnesses say at the time the man was trying to light a cigarette.
He had to be flown to the hospital.
The extent of his burns aren't known, but authorities say he was conscious and breathing when the medical helicopter picked him up.
He shoulda known.
Smoking will kill ya.
What was he using, a blowtorch?
Meth is highly combustible, his supplier should have provided a warning about taking the substance then exposing himself to an open flame........
Siphoning gas, maybe.
If it was alcohol, it would have had to have been a high proof liquor, and he spilled a bunch on his chest. Likely over 150 proof, the most popular drinks of which are Bacardi rum and Everclear grain alcohol.
While drinks over 40% alcohol (80 proof) will ignite, you typically need over 75% alcohol (150 proof) to get a lasting flame.
Typically bartenders use Bacardi 151 for flaming drinks, and they are very capable of causing injury.
He must have already been lit up pretty good like one of those alcohol, nitromethane top eliminators.
Most times, I noticed the still burning flame before I put the lighter in my shirt pocket.
One time, a co-worker grabbed my hand with the lighter still flaming as I started to put it in my pocket. She was so startled all she could do was grab my hand and started shaking it. That was in the day of polyester fabrics, which were highly flammable.
Honestly, those lighters can be dangerous.
Too much polyester: burns fast and hot.
“Mind if I smoke?”
“I don’t care if you burn!!!”
Maybe trying to use one of those clear plastic lighters imported from China. Top flips off and fluid inside causes a huge flame and even explosion in some cases. Neighbor used one to start charcoal in grill. Big mistake. They need to be taken off the market.
Yes...the cheap Chinese lighters are dangerous. Leave one in a car on a hot day, and you’ll lose an eyebrow when you go to light your cigarette. Bics will flare up, but nothing like the torch of the cheap Chinese disposables.
I saw it happen years ago at a bar in Florida. Stupid bar maid was making two 'flaming drinks' using 100 proof grain. She poured the first and lit it, then tried pouring the second... the cork blew out like a canon shot and the bottle looked like a flame thrower. The flame hit the guy next to me and set his arm on fire.
lol - bttt
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.