Skip to comments.Two killed, multiple injured trying to retrieve cellphone from toilet
Posted on 06/08/2014 5:05:11 PM PDT by Gamecock
Tragedy struck after a woman in China accidentally dropped her phone into an open-pit style toilet.
As reported by the South China Morning Post, the incident took place in Xinxiang city, located in the Henan province. After the womans cellphone fell into the cesspool, her husband climbed into the open pit that was filled knee-deep with waste to try and retrieve the phone, which had an estimated value of 2,000 yuan ($319 U.S. dollars).
The man was overcome by fumes and fainted. This caused other relatives and neighbors to enter the pit to try and rescue the victims. In total, six people were pulled from the pit. Despite the victims being trapped in the toilet for no more than five minutes, medical care was delayed because an ambulance took over an hour to arrive, according to eyewitnesses.
So far, two victims have died, including the husband of the woman who lost the cellphone. That woman was placed in the intensive care unit. The doctor treating the victims say they suffered from suffocation.
There was no word on whether the phone was recovered.
I won’t use a toothbrush dropped in a toilet, nor a cellphone in a open pit sewer.
Crappy way to go.
Apparently not familiar with OSHA Confined Space regulations.
Lots of organic debris in a small space often consumes most of the oxygen, creating a low oxygen atmo and extreme hazard.
3rd world country with cell phones
Cell phones and an outhouse.
Sort of like the big-screen tv’s in trailer homes that we have.
My company hire a lot of Asians for operator level positions (unlike the average local, they passed their drug test!). Some of them have been here 30-40 years. And, some of them still stand on the toilet seat and then squat like they’re still at home in Hanoi.
The Hispanic custodians hate ‘em.
It reminds me of a farm family I read about 40 years ago. There were rattlers down the well, so they hooked up a hose to the tail pipe of the pickup to asphyxiate them. First one down was the son; he didn’t come back up. His father went down to help him; last one down was grandpa; all dead ,no, not by snake bite.
Back in the day my rural EMS unit carried Self Contained Breathing Apparatus in case we had to go into silos or other spaces where O2 might be low.
Sh*tty way to die!
X Files televised a similar story....a yacht parked next to the home....(a trailer in a trailer park) It was smelly to some at that time as well.
I once had the job of retrieving a customer’s cell phone stuck in the trap way of a toilet.
Had to take the toilet off the floor flange and while trying to fish it out it started ringing.
Having traveled in China I have no trouble believing this.To call the country (apart from several major cities) primitive is an understatement.
more like thousands of dollars in tattoos on people who collect welfare. What came first: The tattoos or the inability to get a reasonable paying job.
I thought they just went in the street over there.
and this is the country that O and his boys want us to be more like
Manure pits can be dangerous.
Most of them probably grew up using these:
The company attempted an education campaign by posting signs in the stalls in every language imaginable. The company was threatened with a lawsuit claiming racism and they backed down and removed the signs.
We just watch where we step and sit.
They would have been better off simply installing a few of the squat toilets. Everyone would have be happier!
This type of catastrophe happened just a few years back in Rockingham Co, VA. Whole family (I think it was 5 total) but the little girl died in the early morning around sunup in a cattle waste lagoon that wasn’t hardly 6 feet deep with sloped sides. Each entered after the previous trying to save them from a low oxygen/asphyxiant atmosphere from no breeze and cold air.
Confined spaces are NOTHING to screw around with. If you can’t hook someone who goes down in an enclosed area/depression with a tool without entering, you need to leave them or the rescuers will be recovering 2 or more bodies.
I’ve seen videos where even the trained responders have gotten themselves killed trying to short cut/speed up a confined space rescue.
Four Family Members, Farmhand Killed by Gas Fumes in Manure Pit
Four members of a Shenandoah Valley dairy farming family and a hired hand died Monday evening after breathing methane gas fumes inside a manure pit, Rockingham County authorities said yesterday.
The deaths occurred in rapid succession, as the hired hand tried to save the farmer, who was overcome with fumes while working inside the pit, which was enclosed and poorly ventilated, authorities said. The farmer’s wife and two daughters then jumped into the 10-foot hole, where they also died from exposure to the odorless gas, a byproduct of liquefied manure.
I remember that. . .
Should have just applied for an OBAMAPHONE!
There are few “nice’ ways to die. That is one of the less nice ways.
Not anyone with a bad knee!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.