Skip to comments.Word For The Day, Thursday, June 12, 2014 – meta
Posted on 06/12/2014 6:33:43 AM PDT by secret garden
In order that we might all raise the level of discourse and expand our language abilities, here is the daily post of "Word for the Day".
meta \ MET-uh \ , adjective
1. pertaining to or noting a story, conversation, character, etc., that consciously references or comments upon its own subject or features, often in the form of parody: A movie about making movie is just so metaespecially when the actors criticize the acting.
2. pertaining to or noting an abstract, high-level analysis or commentary, especially one that consciously references something of its own type.
1. a consciously and playfully self-referential story, conversation, etc.: That dialogue was an example meta at its best.
2. an abstract, high-level analysis or commentary: writing a meta to explain the characters motivation.
1. to analyze or comment on something in a meta way: I spend more time metaing about the show than actually watching it.
This is all meant to be very meta . In one arc, the Doom Patrol is able to stop an imaginary world from taking over the real world when the team finds a black book that tells the story of a black book about an imaginary world taking over the real world.
-- Noah Berlatsky, "Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol: The Craziest Superhero Story Ever Told," The Atlantic , 2014
The meta craze in criticism soon reached a point of parody about self-conscious parody.
-- William Safire, "What's the Meta?" The New York Times Magazine , 2005
Meta can be traced to the Greek preposition of the same spelling meaning "with," "after," "between." It entered English in the late 1800s in the context of chemistry.
The sentence must, in some way, relate to the news of the day. The Review threads are linked for your edification. ;-)
Practice makes perfect.....post on....
Review Thread One: Word For The Day, Thursday 11/14/02: Raffish
Review Thread Two: Word For The Day, Tuesday 1/14/03: Roister
Review Thread Three: Word For The Day, Tuesday 1/28/03: Obdurate
WFB's attempt to emulate us ; ) No pushing at the door please!
Formatting was not easy this morning. Rise and shine! I’m off to another dental specialist.
I hate Bill O’Reilly; like Greta
Bill’s act is so totally meta
Just a Levittown boy
Now the world is his toy
Ten years ago, he was much betta
I once meta man from Nantucket..................
Hillary’s several biographies contain numerous metas which do not pertain to the truth.
I’m very fond of that great conductor Zubin Meta.
He’s meta, like Tedda, Ted Baxter that is. A+ for you.
Preparing for another Rose Garden presentation of medals to American Servicemen, Metaman edits out all references to the heroes and inserts how he saved the world through force of character and intellect.
Will Rogers never meta man he didn’t like.
I’ve noticed that class participation has been way off this week. Outside of you other teachers, I had less than a handful of contributors yesterday, and today’s turnout is no better. Are we in the vacation doldrums, or is something else going on? It takes some time and effort to prepare the word each week. It would be nice to see some of that returned by our “students.”
In 10 years, I never meta WFTD I didn’t like ....
I was out of the office yesterday, so I wasn’t my usual effervescent self.
Taking the afternoon off to take my mom to the doctor.
These things come and go.
I once meta man named Ike,
he was kind of hard to like,
his car sported an Obama sticker,
he voted for him what a kicker.
that friendship fell on a spike.
I once meta man named Simon,
always had to be whinin’.
A liberal for sure,
there was no cure...
just lots of self-denin’.