Skip to comments.74-Year-Old Belmont Man Recovering from Rattlesnake Bite
Posted on 06/14/2014 11:47:30 AM PDT by nickcarraway
A 74-year-old Belmont man is recovering after he was bitten by a rattlesnake in his garage.
Edmund Pieret said he was bit Thursday when reaching for one of his tools.
"I reached down to pick up one of the tools, now he must have been underneath where that red box is," Pieret said. "I figured it was a spider or something like that must have bit me, and then I heard a rattle."
Pieret was rushed to the hospital for treatment. On Friday he was nursing a swollen hand.
"I was not expecting it at all," he said. "I've never seen a rattlesnake around the property."
California Condor Spotted In San Mateo, First in 110 Years Experts are now warning residents to be cautious as a lack of water and the rising heat is leading to more snake encounters throughout the Bay Area.
"They are moving to areas where there's water, and that happens to be lawns, obviously," said Dave Allen, a snake wrangler.
Allen said he has seen a recent spike in calls for snake removals.
View more in Derek Shore's video report above.
in the garage?!?!?!?
Is this the fault of President Bush?
**The garage is the most painful area you can be bitten by a snake.**
Two cowboys are staying a couple miles outside of town on a trail they used for herding cattle. While answering nature’s call behind a bush, one cowboys gets bitten on the buttocks by a rattle snake. He alerts his friend, who jumps on his horse and races toward town seeking a cure. He reaches the doctors office and runs inside.
The doc explains to him that the only way to save his friend is to suck the poison out of his buttocks. The cowboy jumps back on his horse and races back to his ailing friend. When he reaches his camp, the frantic cowboy cries out “What did the doctor say?”
To which his friend replies “He said you’re gonna die!
Out here in Colorado, I've seen two snakes. Both were roadkill.
I got bit (scraped) by a Pygmy Rattlesnake on my patio one time here in FL. Good advice - when you only use a 1/2 bag of marble chips or decorative gravel, tie the bag up.
Turned out he didn’t get any venom in me, but I don’t like snakes. Especially poisonous ones.
I actually had another encounter with a mean little Coral snake on the same patio last year. Thing was on up on my fence and lunged at my face when I was going out the gate. Luckily I saw him and reacted in time.
snicker - good one
The first time I heard that joke was while I was saddling up for the Charge of the Light Brigade. Real kneeslappa!
For the record lest someone learn incorrectly.
This won't make your experience any less rattling but rattlesnakes are not poisonous; rattlesnakes are venomous.
Rattlesnakes, grizzly bears and earthquakes used to be my 3 biggest fears. Now I seldom think of the first two.
The vast majority of snakes, especially up north, are harmless to humans. But when I was a kid I noticed some smelled bad. Rattlesnakes like it dry, so I always knew not to fear the little snakes near the lake, etc.
Another time at the old farm house, I was hauling a bunch of stuff out to the car so was in and out of the back door a dozen times. There was a storm coming so I was rushing. The last load was an armload of wire clothes hangers. I was having a hard time not dropping the hangers while trying to get the padlock on and each lock had different keys. The wind had picked up and kept banging the screen door against me. I thought the screen had caught my pant leg so, between the locks and the hangers, I was kicking to get loose from the screen. When the house was finally locked up, I reached down to disentangle my pants. It wasn't the screen door, it was another 6 foot racer that had figure eighted itself around both my legs. I don't remember how but one moment I saw the snake and the next I was across the way at the car. I looked back to see him stretched across the porch and heading under the house.
Another time, I was sitting on the edge of that same porch shelling peas and mooing at the cows. All of a sudden, there was a rattlesnake coiled in the grass and ready to strike. Again, zoom! Into the house in a flash. I hated that porch. It was the gateway to under the house for all sorts of varmints.
Even here at our house, you have to watch what you're doing because of snakes. Hubby had a cottonmouth bite him but thankfully it was a dry bite. A few weeks ago, I was cleaning off my garden bench and found a nest of baby snakes. Another time, I was getting out of the car and nearly stepped on one so went running into the house leaving kiddo out there with it. Ooops! Ok, so I knew it wasn't the venomous type so kiddo was safe but the family hasn't let me live it down.
We have a natural area (lots of them actually) right between me and the beach. When they do controlled burns I see all sorts of stuff show up.
When I was getting the pygmy bite looked at, the nurse told me a story of a kid from out in Loxahatchee who came in with a similar bite. She asked him what kind of snake it was and he pulled it out of the pocket of his jeans to show her - alive. No lie. Turns out he had a few more bites and also freaked out an entire emergency room.
We've had 'em there...a favorite lair - to them an open garage door is like the opening to a hidey hole.
That boy needed his head examined.
Out in the Glades is as rural and as tough as any place in the country. Probably had snakes in his pocket his whole childhood.
Strum Ruger is my provider of choice for snake removal. Backed up by Mr. Craftsman. Both effective. Mr. Ruger is more fun while close up with Mr. Craftsman is more satisfying.
Ya all might consider doing some trapping.
A kid was bringing in a lot of fish every time he went fishing so eventually someone asked what he used for bait.
“Biting worms..”he replied, and showed off his jar of worms.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.