Skip to comments.6.9 Earthquake Sandwich Islands Southeast of Argentina
Posted on 06/29/2014 2:42:00 AM PDT by bd476
click here to read article
WEXX32 PAAQ 290805
Public Tsunami Information Statement Number 1
NWS National Tsunami Warning Center Palmer Alaska
405 AM EDT Sun Jun 29 2014
...This is a Tsunami Information Statement for the U.S. and Canada
East Coasts/ Gulf of Mexico States/Puerto Rico/ the U.S. Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands...
- There is no tsunami danger for the areas listed above.
- Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis dangerous to shorelines near the source.
- An Earthquake has occurred with parameters listed below.
Preliminary Earthquake Parameters
- Magnitude 7.2
- Origin Time 0353 EDT Jun 29 2014
0253 CDT Jun 29 2014
0353 AST Jun 29 2014
0753 UTC Jun 29 2014
- Coordinates 55.5 South 28.5 West
- Depth 22 Miles
- Location South Sandwich Islands Region
Next Update and Additional Information
- This will be the only U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center Message for this event unless additional information becomes available.
- Refer to the internet site ntwc.arh.noaa.gov for additional information.
- Caribbean Coastal Regions outside Puerto Rico... U.S. Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands should refer to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center messages at ptwc.weather.gov.
Initially the magnitude was 7.2 for this earthquake. The magnitude was later reduced to 6.9 by USGS Seismologists. It's considered a shallow earthquake and there are no tsunami warnings or advisories.
wow, if 21 miles is shallow, how deep is deep?
That makes me hungry.
Ditto on hoping everyone’s okay.
What’s the recipe for an Earthquake Sandwich?
Needs bacon... :)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.