Skip to comments.Company Behind Simi Valley Fireworks Accident Invited Back For July 4
Posted on 07/02/2014 12:20:44 PM PDT by BenLurkin
SIMI VALLEY (CBSLA.com) Last years July 4 fireworks display is something Simi Valley residents wont soon forget.
Dozens of spectators were injured when the fireworks were accidentally shot into the crowd.
That isnt stopping Simi Valley from putting on another fireworks show this year.
But some residents are deeply concerned that Bay Fireworks, the company responsible for last years accident, has been invited back for this years show.
It leaves me with some hesitation, Simi Valley resident Pamela Brower said. We are not going to be planning on going there.
CBS2/KCAL9 reporter Kristine Lazar spoke to Jennifer Cifuentes, who attended last years show and whose father was hurt by shooting debris.
Do you think they deserve a second chance? Lazar said.
Yes and no. Obviously, they didnt do this on purpose. But they should have been more careful, Cifuentes said.
The CEO of the New York-based fireworks company pointed out investigators determined it was a faulty firework, not operator error, that caused the mishap. They say they no longer use that brand of fireworks.
In a statement released Tuesday, Bay Fireworks CEO Dennis Brady Jr. wrote: We have done extensive testing and have completely revamped our existing company protocols to ensure that we no longer meet but instead, far exceed the minimum required safety distances to spectators.
Weve taken some steps, and some very important steps, to increase the safety and hopefully diminish the concerns of the public here, Ventura County Fire Capt. Mike Lindbery said.
In light of last years injuries, the Ventura County Fire Marshal has increased the fallout zone, pushing spectators farther back. Theyve also changed the way fireworks are racked so one faulty shell cant ignite the whole lot, like it did last year.
Lindbery says the Simi Valley show will also employ the use of sand troughs, which absorb energy.
The president of the Rotary Club, which puts on the show in Simi Valley, told Lazar they struggled with their decision but did their due diligence in making sure this years show would be safe.
Bay Fireworks says it is giving the shows organizers a substantial discount.
I suspect that the fireworks show will go without mishaps and that on July 5th this will be a non-issue.
At least they still are having a July 4th show. My cousin in Los Angeles would have a get together from their home. From the backyard you could see the firework show the local city (Torrance) would put on a show every year. It was stopped in 2011 by democrats. They keep voting it down since, always sighting the cost yet they spend a million dollars to settle police lawsuits. The people now go to nearby Torrance beach to view a privately funded fireworks show and here comes the coming shutdown.......
“The beach is becoming a greater issue,” he said. “It is a safety issue down there, there’s no doubt about it.”
Liberals hate July 4th.
Third times a charm....
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.