Skip to comments.Teen murder suspect released from jail without ankle monitor in Charlotte
Posted on 12/13/2019 10:47:37 AM PST by Perseverando
A teenager charged with murder has been released from jail without an ankle monitor in Mecklenburg County. (Source: WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - A teenager charged with murder has been released from jail without an ankle monitor in Mecklenburg County.
17-year-old Michal Sio-Somah is one of two people charged for the shooting death of 24-year-old Calvin Haines. Haines was one of four people shot during a graduation party in uptown Charlotte in June of 2019.
A few weeks after the shooting, Sio-Somah was arrested and charged in connection to the killing. The teen was charged with first degree murder. Initially, he was booked into jail without bond, but court documents show the suspect was given a $300,000 secured bond on October 31 and bonded out of jail last week on Friday, December 6.
Sio-Somah was released just hours after CMPD chief Kerr Putney announced that his officers would no longer be placing ankle monitors on murder suspects.
"From now on, they're either going to have to be held in jail, or the judges gonna let them out. But we can't, in good faith allow for our people to monitor people who are charged with murder, said Putney during a press conference last week.
Sio-Somah is the first murder suspect since Putneys announcement to be released from jail without an ankle monitor in Mecklenburg County.
Marcus Philemon, executive director of CharMeck Court Watch, said he has already heard from people who are concerned about the murder suspect being out of jail.
I had someone reach out to me today to say the west side is furious. We have 50 plus people who are ready to do whatever it takes, said Philemon.
Court documents show that prosecutors are already working on keeping Sio-Somah behind bars.
(Excerpt) Read more at wbtv.com ...
Maybe he'll do something constructive while he's out of jail, like maybe a Christmas rap video. /sarc
What’s this another Soros stooge somewhere responsible for this policy?
Charlotte resident here...
My wife says she’s nervous that I carry all the time (CCW). Sorry babe.
Yo, he look like he be a good boy yo!
rough looking dude.
what’s that bandage on his neck covering?
Makes good sense to stop pretending the cops can keep track of dangerous people with an ankle monitor. The real problem is the leftist judges.
I used to like visiting Charlotte but that was about a decade ago.
Once in a while, I get to the lake Wylie area.
What’s a Sio-Somah?
Maybe the cops are hoping da ‘hood will take matters in hand to save the expense of a trial.
The locals will dispense street justice within a week, if hes too stupid to not be in hiding
And they wonder why the crime rate is sky rocketing in this country.
Did he have a tracheotomy?
lets face it, and ankle bracelet is about as reliable to prevent crime as a restraining order.....
So much for the BS mantra these gov’t pukes spew out about “making you safe”. Had enough of their con yet?
Who put up a $300,000 bond for this murderer?
The back story appears in other articles on the policy. The chief simply acknowledged that an ankle monitor is hardly going to protect the public from a vicious criminal who needs to be kept locked up.
Probably the super liberal city council members didn’t want the poor child in jail for Christmas.
Only takes $30,000 cash normally.
sorry...I was looking for a quick answer. I didn’t expect you to do my homework.
I did follow the back-story and the reason why the chief won’t honor it. (judges aren’t stopping the ankle monitors).
Chief talks like an L&O guy, yet the same Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department that won’t honor ICE detainer requests.
What could go wrong?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.