Skip to comments.Lee kicks off campaign tour in Sussex (Delaware Gov race)
Posted on 07/24/2008 5:08:41 PM PDT by Clintonfatigued
Its four years later and Bill Lee hasnt missed a beat.
Lee, who narrowly lost a run for governor in 2004 to Ruth Ann Minner, was in Georgetown Tuesday morning to kickoff his gubernatorial campaign. The prayer breakfast at the Georgetown Family Restaurant was the first of nine stops, across all three counties, and marked the beginning of what Lee hopes will be a different outcome this time around.
When I made the intelligent decision not to run, the convention challenged that decision, Lee said at the Sussex GOP headquarters prior to the breakfast. Im grateful they did.
Although Lee is still touting education improvements as one of his major priorities for Delaware, not everything is the same as it was four years ago. Lee said the party is far more united and other major issues have surfaced.
The [biggest] issue has picked itself, he said. The economy is terrible, and Delawares economy is one of the worst in the country.
The former judge said, if elected, he would adopt a multi-pronged attack to boost the economy, including fixing the education system, making government more efficient, strengthening small businesses and not implementing any new taxes.
We need to make sure there are no new taxes; taxes kill jobs, he said. Delaware is one of three states that have a contracting economy. Were last in new business startups, and we have high tech resources in this state that are being ignored by state government.
(Excerpt) Read more at sussexcountian.com ...
Bill Lee is a credible candidate, and neither of the Democrats running can credibly claim to be running on the basis of change.
Following is synopsis of interview on WGMD..
Bill Lee Live on WGMD
July 22nd, 2008 by Dan Gaffney
Republican candidate for Governor and former judge Bill Lee is live on air with Jared Morris at this hour.
* Lee supports granting Delaware drivers licenses for illegal aliens.
* Lee claims Delaware’s economy is the worst in the nation. 50th out of 50.
Back from 930am break,
Question about debating Mike Protack
* Lee says a debate will only fracture the solidarity the Republicans enjoy right now.
* On Protack: ”We have a personal relationship that is not good”
* I originally opposed a constitutional amendment defining marriage between a man and a woman, but the amendment is something I could support.
* Bill Lee talks about how he is single and likes to go out and party.
* Bill Lee talks about his open Christianity
* Lee jokes about resigning as Chair of the Republican Party thinking it was only a two year term, and he understands Governor is a four year term.
* Lee’s criticism of immigrants is they do not assimilate by learning the language etc.
Caller talks about illegal drivers hitting her mother and causing two accidents.
* Lee uses the call to advocate for giving illegals the right to drive, and says illegal aliens are a purely federal problem. Lee does advocate for a crack down on employers who hire undocumented workers.
* Lee who has used the excuse of Protack not filing his fee to run as a Republican, to duck debates, admits he filed his filing fee late the first time he ran.
On crime at 955am
* “Crime is a huge problem, we need more police officers”. Explains how some crimes will simply never be solved.
* He is rooting for Christine Odonnell, and wishes her luck against Joe Biden.
* “It’s time for Delaware to take back the Government” Talks about how you can not simply rearrange the job titles in Dover and expect new results.
Lee is running? Good.
Last I knew we had nobody running.