Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

To: DoctorZIn

Iran gags reformist papers ahead of polls

The papers published a letter critical of Ayat Allah Khamenei

Iran's hardline controlled judiciary has ordered two reformist newspapers to be shut down after they published a letter critical of the Islamic republic's supreme leader.

The closure of the papers, Shargh and Yas-e No, came on the eve of parliamentary elections here that are expected to see conservatives wrest control of the Majlis from reformists, most of whom have been barred from standing.

They were the only two newspapers who dared to publish a letter from incumbent reformist deputies that questioned Ayat allah Ali Khamenei's role in the mass disqualifications.

Some 70 reformists who resigned from parliament warned in the open letter of a "widening gap between the regime and the people" and asked if Khamenei had allowed the disqualifications of reformist candidates.
"The organs under your authority, having for four years humiliated the Majlis (parliament) and its deputies by blocking legislation, have openly blocked the most basic right of the people: to choose and be chosen," they said.

Criticising the supreme leader is a serious criminal offence in Iran.

"I condemn this decision. It is a way of restricting freedom of the press"

Issa Saharkhiz,
Association for the Freedom of the Press

The Tehran prosecutor's office closed the papers because they carried the stinging text despite an order from the Supreme Council for National Security - Iran's top national security body - not to do so, according to a leading press freedom activist.
"I condemn this decision. It is a way of restricting freedom of the press," Issa Saharkhiz of the Association for the Freedom of the Press said.  

Journalists questioned

Officials went to the offices of the two newspapers to inform them of the ban. They also questioned two Shargh journalists, Saharkhiz said. 

Iranians go the polls on Friday

The official news agency IRNA quoted a Shargh employee as saying the paper had been shut "until further notice".

"They told our editors that the final decision on Shargh will be announced officially on Saturday, February 21st," the employee was quoted as saying.

A Yas-e No employee said the papers were padlocked by prosecutors later on Wednesday, and the sign on the building where the paper operates from was also torn down.

Tehran's chief prosecutor is Said Mortazavi, who several years ago ordered a major judicial crackdown on the press as head of Tehran's press court. On being promoted last year, he was quick to warn journalists to be even more careful.

7 posted on 02/19/2004 2:57:00 AM PST by Nix 2 ( QUINN AND ROSE from 6-10 AM-104.7 FM in da Burgh&WWVA AM)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies ]

To: DoctorZIn; Pan_Yans Wife; McGavin999; freedom44; Eala; faludeh_shirazi; downer911

A Mullah is checking Fr

8 posted on 02/19/2004 5:16:33 AM PST by F14 Pilot (Either you are with us or you are with the REGIME)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson