Skip to comments.HITLER WAS A SOCIALIST
Posted on 05/27/2004 6:32:13 AM PDT by RedBloodedAmerican
click here to read article
Couldn't find this posted on FR.
Fascinating stuff (all of it)--thank you for posting!
Hitler was a socialist. It can't be said ENOUGH!
Bump for later read.
All the liberals say this so it must be true. They're all too dumb to realize that Nazi is an acronym for National Sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei or National Socialist German Worker's Party.
Mother of God.
There are parts of this that will make Dr. Ray the 901st file.
Save this somewhere, before it goes down the Memory Hole.
Without wasting a lot of time on the article, one thing stood out as wrongheaded: the discussion about Hitler and the Nazis being "middle class". There was no "middle class" in the American sense in Germany. Rather, there was (1) the aristocracy, (2) the bourgeoisie (non-noble rich, owners of significant businesses, etc., living primarily on undearned incomes), (3) the petit bourgeoisie or, to use the German term, Kleinbuerger, (4) the working class (the vast majority in urban areas, (5) peasants (farmers ranging from prosperous Frei Baueren with large farms to landless agricultural laborers, and (6) a relataively small lumpenpoletariat. The closest thing to what we would call "middle class" in this country would be the kleinbuerger (which would include most white collar workers and professionals) and the upper third of the working class (master and journeymen in trades, etc.).
There are still some who claim the German Democratic Republic in East Germany was communist. Can't they read?
Dr. Ray is an amiable fellow. I e-mailed him some questions about fascism a few months ago and he responded to all by the next day. This fellow is one of the good guys.
I had a professor who told me that Hitler was just fooling the people. He said he was a Socialist so that they would vote for him -- but in reality all his policies were evil right-wing policies.
Germany in the 1920's and early 30's had tons of Communist, Socialist, and Trade Unionist activists. The voters knew a Leftist when they saw one. And they voted for National Socialism because the policies sounded good (to them). To say (as my professor did) that the rabble were fooled by the name of the party and didn't really mean to support a Leftist is just twaddle.
A major read...
First, the title. "Hitler was a socialist". Well, duh; the name of his party was the National Socialist Party! This is a surprise, then, that he was a socialist?
Then there's this assertion:
Before we answer that question, however, let us look at what the Left and Right in politics consist of at present. Consider this description by Edward Feser of someone who would have been an ideal Presidential candidate for the modern-day U.S. Democratic party:
Followed by a description of Hitler. In reading through the 3 paragraphs that follow, it's easy to find individual characteristics that are applicable to many Democratic politicians. It's also quite possible to pick out characteristics that apply to some Republicans as well (for example, President Bush was not exactly the ideal family man up until about the age of 40). But it's quite impossible to apply the entire description to any Presidential candidate of any party, never mind their "ideal" candidate.
So we surely do need to look at the plausibility of the "insanity" claim. Do madmen achieve popular acclaim among their own people? Do madmen inspire their countrymen to epics of self-sacrifice? Do madmen leave a mark on history unlike any other? Until Hitler came along, the answers to all these questions would surely have been "no".
Uh, what? Here's a presumption that's challengable. The author himself makes the point of the difficulty of having to prove, or disprove, that a given historical figure was mad. So I can hardly accept that "the answers to all these questions would surely have been 'no'", because I would not be able to determine the mental status of any person in the past who had inspired their populace to such measures.
At that point I pretty much lost any confidence in the author, and stopped reading.
Amen. This can't be stressed enough. If you really seek to control other people, Socialism is the only mechanism. And it's always wrong.
VERY good piece!
National socialism is the only practicable socialism.
Bump for later .... thanks
But 'JEREMIAH WAS A BULLFROG'...
Got to go fishing soon, will have to read later.
"Mother of God. There are parts of this that will make Dr. Ray the 901st file."
It's a good thing Dr. Ray is an Aussie and not an Arky.
Hayek has the high ground on this argument. It is well defended.
Bookmarked and Bumped
bump for later. thx
Socialism is government ownership of the means of production (land and capital equipment). Nazi Germany retained private ownership of these things under government direction of their use.
Public direction of privately held means of production is the essence of fascism, both in Italy, in Germany, and in Roosevelt's failed New Deal schemes for the industry in the NRA and agirculture in the AAA.
Perhaps more accurately, we need to say that fascism is a leftist system that is antithetical to the rightist Anglo-American free enterprise system.
Hitler was a man of the left and the englightenment.
This is also why I worry about the current trends in the GOP. The GOP has always been the nationalist party and in the last few years appears to have jettisoned all support for traditional conservative principles of limited government, it is now only mildly less socialist than the Demcratic party. I do not liken GW Bush to Hitler like the nutsoid left has, GW is a great man, a natural leader with a solid moral compass. However once the pieces are in place - nationalism and socialism in one package - all that is needed is someone who is not a great man with a solid moral compass and all bets are off.
We are entering a period of long term conflict, the war against Islam will be long and bloody. As Orwell demonstrates unscrouplous leaders can manipulate patriotism and justify just about anything in the name of 'winning the war'. All totalitarian societies need an identifible enemy.
So what I fear is we are set up for a fascist-like fall - nationalism + socialism + war
I think I heard you say this a coupla times. ;-)
That point was made in the article. Would you care to explain to me the difference between the state ownership and complete state control? I suggest that it is a destinction without merit.
Yes, Hitler was a socialist, in fact a capital "S" socialist, But today, one cannot be "socialist" unless the socialist leadership recognizes one to be "socialist." So, I'm afraid Hitler has been repudiated by the PC grandchildren of his generation of socialists.
Bump for later read...
Add to that for the lefties who are all for the "workers" as Democrats always claim that it was the "National Socialist German Workers Party." (NSDAP - Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei).
"Hitler was a Democrat"!
Since Jan 7, 1998
You can disagreee with Greenpeace as most people do, but come on...
1. We demand the union of all Germany in a Greater Germany on the basis of the right of national self-determination.
Good thing, except his definition of "Germany" was pretty big.
2. We demand equality of rights for the German people in its dealings with other nations, and the revocation of the peace treaties of Versailles and Saint-Germain.
This is a result of the Treaty of Versailles, which tried to drive the German people into proverty and make it a second-class nation. We had a much better idea with the Marshall plan after WWII.
3. We demand land and territory (colonies) to feed our people and to settle our surplus population.
4. Only members of the nation may be citizens of the State. Only those of German blood, whatever be their creed, may be members of the nation. Accordingly, no Jew may be a member of the nation.
Here's a nationalist, racist bit.
5. Non-citizens may live in Germany only as guests and must be subject to laws for aliens.
That's not so bad, good idea for today.
6. The right to vote on the State's government and legislation shall be enjoyed by the citizens of the State alone. We demand therefore that all official appointments, of whatever kind, whether in the Reich, in the states or in the smaller localities, shall be held by none but citizens. We oppose the corrupting parliamentary custom of filling posts merely in accordance with party considerations, and without reference to character or abilities.
The Democrats wouldn't understand the "only citizens vote or hold office" thing. I like the idea of appointing by ability rather than party affiliation, should be done here.
7. We demand that the State shall make it its primary duty to provide a livelihood for its citizens. If it should prove impossible to feed the entire population, foreign nationals (non-citizens) must be deported from the Reich.
Ah, the socialism kicks in with a nationalist bent. Remember, this was a time when few had food.
8. All non-German immigration must be prevented. We demand that all non-Germans who entered Germany after 2 August 1914 shall be required to leave the Reich forthwith.
Bad idea, seriously stupid and nationalistic.
9. All citizens shall have equal rights and duties.
Okay, great thing.
10. It must be the first duty of every citizen to perform physical or mental work. The activities of the individual must not clash with the general interest, but must proceed within the framework of the community and be for the general good.
We demand therefore:
11-17 are just outright communist land and economic demands.
18. We demand the ruthless prosecution of those whose activities are injurious to the common interest. Common criminals, usurers, profiteers, etc., must be punished with death, whatever their creed or race.
A bit severe, but he was definitely for law and order (as he saw it).
19. We demand that Roman Law, which serves a materialistic world order, be replaced by a German common law.
Good, we work under common law too.
20. The State must consider a thorough reconstruction of our national system of education (with the aim of opening up to every able and hard-working German the possibility of higher education and of thus obtaining advancement). The curricula of all educational establishments must be brought into line with the requirements of practical life. The aim of the school must be to give the pupil, beginning with the first sign of intelligence, a grasp of the nation of the State (through the study of civic affairs). We demand the education of gifted children of poor parents, whatever their class or occupation, at the expense of the State.
Education is important, good, but with indoctrination. Although free at tax expense is going socialist.
21. The State must ensure that the nation's health standards are raised by protecting mothers and infants, by prohibiting child labor, by promoting physical strength through legislation providing for compulsory gymnastics and sports, and by the extensive support of clubs engaged in the physical training of youth.
Except for the compulsory part, physical health is good, but this was in line with his creating a superior race thing.
22. We demand the abolition of the mercenary army and the foundation of a people's army.
Defeinitely a good idea.
23. We demand legal warfare on deliberate political mendacity and its dissemination in the press. To facilitate the creation of a German national press we demand:
What follows is the standard press controls you find in any communist state. Bad idea. Except the part about preventing foreign control of German newspapers has some merit.
24. We demand freedom for all religious denominations in the State, provided they do not threaten its existence not offend the moral feelings of the German race. The Party, as such, stands for positive Christianity, but does not commit itself to any particular denomination. It combats the Jewish-materialistic spirit within and without us, and is convinced that our nation can achieve permanent health only from within on the basis of the principle: The common interest before self-interest.
Whoah, I thought everybody said the Nazis were godless! And here is pro-Christianity built right into their programme. But notice they are pro-Christian, but only so long as no church threatens the state. That's communist.
25. To put the whole of this programme into effect, we demand the creation of a strong central state power for the Reich; the unconditional authority of the political central Parliament over the entire Reich and its organizations; and the formation of Corporations based on estate and occupation for the purpose of carrying out the general legislation passed by the Reich in the various German states.
Standard tool of fascist or communists states.
So you see in the end the NSDAP was a nice mix of a totalitarian nationalist state with a whole bunch of socialism thrown in, and a bit of religion as well.
Bookmarked and bumped for future reading.
The ghost of Hitler talks to Hillary disguesed as Eleanor Roosevelt.
Hitler a socialist? Who knew? This will be a major news item, I bet! Or oughta be! That makes all the difference in the world. Say goodbye to socialism in Sweden, North Korea and all those other places that never ever suspected this. Wow!