Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

To: FormerLib
Here are some Catholics in Kosovo stats: 65,000 Catholics, 55 priests, 67 nuns, and 23 parishes. The diocese of Prizren was actually part of the Skopje diocese until the year 2000. It is now its own entity under the wonderfully named Albanian Bishop Marko Sopi. I am in no way an expert on the organization of the Catholic Church, but I would think it would take the Vatican to make the decision to split a diocese. Further, that they would not have made Kosovo a separate diocese under its own bishop unless that area was a viable Catholic entity.
143 posted on 06/03/2004 10:01:38 AM PDT by mark502inf
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 138 | View Replies ]


To: mark502inf
... I would think it would take the Vatican to make the decision to split a diocese.

Isn't it common for the Vatican to create diocese according to geographical designations? Kosovo and Albania are separate diocese because they are in different nations: one in Albania, the other in Serbia.

It would be disturbing to discover that they had created a diocese serving Kosovo alone as that might suggest they were trying to influence the politics of that region...yet again.

147 posted on 06/03/2004 11:59:44 AM PDT by FormerLib (It's the 99% of Mohammedans that make the other 1% look bad.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 143 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article


FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson