Skip to comments.Kerry Unveils Comprehensive Plan to Fight the War on Terrorism(2/27/04)-Incriminating Evidence?
Posted on 07/20/2004 1:50:03 PM PDT by truthandlife
For Immediate Release
Los Angeles, CA
In a speech today at the UCLA International Institute, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry offered his comprehensive approach to fighting the global war on terrorism. In the second of a series of speeches on national security, Kerry presented a plan to identify, disrupt, and eliminate terrorist networks using all the resources at our disposal. As CIA Director George Tenet starkly reminded us this week, we are threatened by a far-flung terrorist network that will continue to operate even if Bin Laden is caught. Last December, John Kerry addressed the Council on Foreign Relations and outlined a global vision to make America safer and more secure. Today, he is detailing the terrorism component of that vision, strengthening the nations position in the global war on terror.Kerry will act militarily when necessary, build strong alliances with other nations and enhance our intelligence and law enforcement capabilities. Kerry addresses the root causes of terrorism and offers a real plan to secure our homeland by safeguarding our chemical and nuclear facilities, bolstering port and aviation security, restoring 100,000 COPS on the street and adding 100,000 new firefighters in our communities.
We cannot win the War on Terror through military power alone, Kerry told an audience at the University of California at Los Angeles. As President, if necessary, I will use military force to protect our security, our people, and our vital interests. But the fight requires us to use every tool at our disposal. Not only a strong military but renewed alliances, vigorous law enforcement, reliable intelligence, and unremitting effort to shut down the flow of terrorist funds.
To do all this, and to do our best, demands that we work with other countries instead of walking alone. For today the agents of terrorism work and lurk in the shadows of 60 nations on every continent. In this entangled world, we need to build real and enduring alliances.
We need a comprehensive approach for prevailing against terror an approach that recognizes the many facets of this mortal challenge and relies on all the tools at our disposal to do it.
Kerry also criticized the Bush Administrations failure to maintain the post-9/11global coalition, inaction in stemming the rise of terrorism and inadequate efforts to defend the homeland.
Day in and day out, President Bush reminds us that he is a war President and that he wants to make national security the central issue of this election. I am ready to have this debate. I welcome it. I am convinced that we can prove to the American people that we know how to make them safer and more secure with a stronger, more comprehensive, and more effective strategy for winning the War on Terror than the Bush Administration has ever envisioned.
John Kerry outlined a seven-point comprehensive plan to fight the war against terror:
I. Use Direct Military Action: Kerry will use military force when necessary to capture and destroy terrorist groups and their leaders. He will also increase active duty end strength and tailor forces to be better prepared for post-conflict and stability operation.
II. Improve International Intelligence and Law Enforcement: Kerry will strengthen communication networks between intelligence agencies, build cooperative capacity with international law enforcement agencies, increase the number of linguists trained in critical languages and create a real Director of National Intelligence with budget and personnel power.
III. Cut Off the Flow of Terrorist Funds: Kerry will impose tough financial sanction against banks or nations that engage in money laundering or fail to act against it and will launch a name and shame campaign against those that finance terror.
IV. Control the Spread of Weapons on Mass Destruction: Kerry will appoint a high-level Presidential envoy to lead the effort and expand the Nunn/Lugar program to buy up and destroy stockpiles of loose WMD materials.
V. Win the Peace in Iraq and Afghanistan: Kerry will bring real security in Iraq by broadening the coalition, including the United Nations, and creating a real Iraqi security force that can take care of itself and the people it is supposed to protect. In Afghanistan, Kerry would put forward a major increase in security and fund the promised a Marshall Plan for reconstruction.
VI. Win the War of Ideas and the Future of a Young Generation: Kerry will build bridges to the Arab and Islamic world by supporting and assisting human rights groups, independent media, and labor unions dedicated to building a democratic culture.
VII. Secure America's Homeland: Kerry will restore funding for the COPS program, add 100,000 firefighters to our streets, secure and protect our nuclear and chemical facilities, bolster port and aviation security.
John Kerry: Winning the War on Terror
I. An Integrated Strategy to Destroy Terrorists Groups
Terror is the principle threat we face. John Kerry will deny terrorists sanctuary in every cave and with every tool, by:
1. Direct Military Action. John Kerry will always be prepared to use military force when necessary to neutralize terrorists and drain the swamps where they breed.
Back to Top
2. Improve International Intelligence and Law Enforcement. John Kerry will lead our nation in building strong international cooperation to ensure that America has the best information available and works effectively to cut financing for terrorist organizations.
Back to Top
3. Cut Off the Flow of Terrorist Funds
Back to Top
4. Control the Spread of Weapons of Mass Destruction.
Back to Top
5. Win the peace in Iraq and Afghanistan. John Kerry will bring real security in Iraq and Afghanistan to prevent terrorists from reemerging in Afghanistan or establishing a base in Iraq.
Back to Top
II. Win the War of Ideas and the Future of a Young Generation
John Kerrys plan for building bridges to the Arab and Islamic world recognizes the key challenge posed by burgeoning youth cohorts. Americas security demands that young people have a future of promise and opportunity that is a clear alternative to terror and extremism.
III. Secure America's Homeland
Recent reports have revealed alarming gaps in security procedures at our nations most critical facilities. John Kerry will secure out nuclear weapons storage sites, nuclear power plants and chemical facilities. Kerry will ensure our first defenders are equipped, that we can respond to biological attacks, and air transportation security is made safer.
1. A New First Defenders Initiative to Ensure Local Responders are Equipped and Ready. John Kerry will ensure that first defenders have the gear to do their jobs safely and effectively. John Kerry has proposed creating a new fund for fire fighters named after a September 11th hero, Father Mychal Judge, the chaplain of the New York City Fire Department who died delivering last rites. The Father Judge Fund would be similar to the COPS program and will hire up to 100,000 new firefighters and to provide the equipment necessary to assure firefighters are prepared. Kerry also believes we must restore funding to COPS to realize its initial mission of 100,000 new police officers. This initiative would also develop appropriate standards for preparedness in our cities and provide resources so communities can meet these goals.
2. A National Homeland Health Initiative. Americas public health system has risen to important challenges before, but it lacks the advances necessary to detect or contain a major outbreak. John Kerry believes we must connect the nations public health systems with a real time detection system to pool patient data across the country. This initiative would also provide training in developing plans for a surge in patients. We also need to increase research and bring together the best of the public and private sectors to develop broad-spectrum designer antidotes so that our first responders and our population can be protected and treated from the widest possible range of attacks.
3. Increase Port Security and Accelerate Border Security. Currently, 95% of all non-North American U.S. trade moves by sea, concentrated mostly in a handful of ports. John Kerry believes improvements in port security must be made, while recognizing that global prosperity and Americas economic power depends on an efficient system. Kerrys plan would develop standards for security at ports and other loading facilities for containers and assure facilities can meet basic standards. To improve security in commerce, John Kerry believes we should accelerate the timetable for the action plans agreed to in the U.S.-Canada and U.S.-Mexico smart border accords as well as implement security measures for cross-border bridges. Finally John Kerry will pursue modest safety standards for privately held infrastructure and will help owners find economical ways to pay for increased security.
4. Secure Nuclear Power Plants, Nuclear Weapons Facilities and Chemical Facilities. John Kerry will appoint an Energy Secretary who takes nuclear plant security seriously and ensures meticulous follow-up to any security violations. He would also order an immediate review of engagement orders and weaponry for plant guards, and ensure attack simulation drills be as realistic as possible. A Kerry Administration would ensure that security of our nuclear weapons facilities is a U.S. government responsibility not cede it to private contractors as the Bush Administration considered doing. A Kerry Administration will tighten security at chemical facilities across the nation that produce or store chemicals, focusing first on facilities in major urban areas where millions of Americans live within the circle of vulnerability.
5. Tighten Aviation Security and Combat Threats to Civilian Aircraft. John Kerry will close loopholes in existing regulations on cargo carried by passenger flights and increase the reliability of new screening procedures. Kerry will increase perimeter inspections of U.S. airports and work with international aviation authorities to make sure the same standards are in place at all international airports. He will work with our allies to crackdown on the sale of shoulder-fired missiles that could be used in an attack on civilian aircraft, and are sold on the black market.
Forward to a Friend
I think this event has really stuned Kerry's beeber.
And here we thought Kerry had just gone off the Botox lately. I can see why his brow has been so furrowed...
what if Kerry's plan matches exactly the recommendations on the missing memo ?
Since both parties agree security is issue number one it boils down to who you think will do a better job of hunting and eliminating.
Sounds like self inflicted suicide for the party known to be weaker than water on security issues.
Welcome back George.
You did a great job finding this stuff.
Which of these things is Bush not doing?
I do not see a change in policy. (At least on paper).
Stop the flow of WMD- now where have I heard that one?
Cut off funding- again where have I heard that one?
there is nothing new here.
Nothing but, babble.. and mumbling. If Kerry doesn't mention his medals.. he is absolutely LOST!
Now that is interesting....
Hopefully it will stay in the cache until I get home so I can save the HTML file of the cache.
Warning: google archives can (and will be) purged at the request of the original site. Make this archive available offline.
Kerry, if elected, would be too busy snowboarding, cycle riding, skiing in Aspen, playing catch on the tarmac to do any of the things mentioned. Most of them are already being done by President Bush. Kerry doesn't have the cajones to accomplish most of these tasks, little lone all of them.
There might not be anything new but why did Kerry take it off his website? This probably parrots the Berger classified documents.
There is nothing new in this, where is the beef, George Bush has tried all these things including spending a billion and a half dollars in equipment fot Home Fire Department. Now what will Kerry do with 100,000 new Firefighters who arent needed. and if he hires them who pays them thruout their 25 years it takes to earn retirement? Sure the Firefighters Union is screaming for more men, unions always want more men , but the facts are the Fire statistics are down , they dont need some of the men they have,.Firefighters are getting to be nothing more than glorified Ambulance technicians in the big cities. It come down to Kerry is slinging BS. BS =Bovine Excrement.
Launch a "name and shame" campaign against individuals, banks and foreign governments that are financing terror.
This is another "call them bad, bad people, and the public will lap it up. Avoid actual prosecution of these criminals, since if you bankrupt them, you have no source for DNC contributions.
If it's gone I have copies saved in multiple locations that you're welcome to.....:)
Geez. This thing reads like the War On Poverty -- Shades of LBJ. Blah. Blah. Blah.
Wow, it's really true. It does work. Tell a lie often enough - and make it big - and eventually everyone will believe it. (Barf, not me).
Oh and let's not omit Kerry's
brillianc brill bril... I can't do it, I won't write that he is smart. He's stealing info and trying to 'rush' in to save the day. And not many seem to care, they're still shilling for him. Giant barf.