Skip to comments.Eating our own...Time to make a new start in Free Republic.
Posted on 07/26/2004 7:41:11 PM PDT by Bob J
The last few months I've seen an increasing trend for FReepers to start going for each others jugular. Sometimes we forget (I've certainly done it myself) that in the grand scheme of things, we are on the same team. We may disagree on priorities or how far we are willing to go, but we have enough enemy in the left without creating more amongst ourselves. We can disagree but be civil to each other. We can debate nuance, but not believe that our personal positions are more important than the health of the whole. Let's argue vigorously but remind ourselves the guy whose trachia we are ripping out today may be sitting next to us in a foxhole tommorrow.
I'm going to propose that we all make a new start. Let's put all past differences behind us and resolve to band together and fight the good fight, the elimination of liberalism as a significant culturual influence in America...and see that to its end in our lifetimes.
If you agree, please post your thoughts and ping your lists and your friends to this thread.
Im not talking to you.
hmmmmm... hang on, ***HUG*** on the way!! slow mail delivery, I guess. :)
Thanks fer that clarification, my GoPatGoerFRiend...then what was his deal with the Reform Party?! You know, when he selected a Leftist as his running mate...do you reckon he split his ticket so as to discourage taking votes away from Dubyuh in 2000? If so, it seems like his plan worked like a charm as he didn't really take votes away from anybody while destroying the Reform Party as a viable entity.
Psst. In the interest of truth, justice and the American way, Pat's running mate was Mrs. Foster a pro-life black conservative.
In 2000, Pat was the America first, pro-life, pro-American jobs, anti-illegal immigration, anti-troops-for-foreign-wars, truth telling, conservative. He is not a Democrat or Republican, he is a Conservative.
Isn't the site friendlier now with civil discussion?
Thor. No. Odin, yes. Whether I meassure up to join the Einheriar will be a matter of time to tell that tale.
I unsubbed from the FR PA state thread because the Toomey supporters jumped all over anyone who disagreed with them and they were brutal, rude and crass in their comments. It was sickening.
THAT'S it. I am SO out of here. GOODBYE FOREVER
I'm not posting here any more.
Wow... You re lucky I don't keep old threads around for the 'I Told You' dance. :)
Is this the part where we all hold hands and sing Kumbyah, or would 'We Shall Overcome' be more appropriate?
"Can't we all just get along?"
Well I think the main problem is the half ass comments from all those damnyankees on the civil war threads. They can't be at all civil, like all the decent folks, and good old boys like we have in the South.
I'll have a Long Island iced tea.
Isn't that what Rodney said?
No, I believe Rodney said, "Can't we all just get a bong?"
Rodney King didn't want to get along with nobody until the police beat the stuffings out of him.
At the risk of getting attacked for this, may I suggest the following (minimal) honor system:
1. If you are a conservative (like I am) and have sneered at what you call RINO, just make a passing reference in the future to those in the Republican party that don't share your conservative views without the sneer. Likewise, if you are more moderate and don't share the views of Conservative Christians, just make that reference and go on. Better, try to convince the other side that your views are correct through argument and analysis, not sneering or backhanded comments.
2. Don't argue like a liberal: i.e., get emotional, name call (no matter how benign), and try to change the subject. Comparing what someone else did to show hypocrisy is a bit overused, and is often just changing the subject to avoid dealing with the errors of argument.
3. On criminal matters such as the Peterson deal, please stick with known or reported facts and if you must speculate, make clear what you are saying is speculation. Nobody (and yes, I mean NOBODY) on this forum knows exactly what happened to Laci Peterson (for example), so let's have some respect for our justice system and not jump to conclusions that just because a person is charged, he or she is guilty. Once all the evidence comes out, there will be plenty of time for the "got away with it" if that is what happened.
4. Don't accuse someone of being a troll. If they have a valid point, debate it. If not, either ignore it or say its invalid. Who cares what the motives of someone posting nonsense here is. If its nonsense, it isn't worth your time.
5. Don't make excuses for bad or dishonest behavior regardless of the political views of those committing such behavior.
6. Remember that the general sentiment on this forum is that, regardless of faults, it is better to have a George Bush as President even if he allows too much spending (for example), than a Democrat of any kind. If you can not, on principle, vote for a candidate that doesn't share all or most of your views (or one view that you consider of great importance), fine -- that's your opinion. Support it with analysis and not ad hominem. For those of use who think this "principled" only view is wrong, lets all understand that it is based on principle and we should at least understand that regardless of whether we agree with it or not, that is admirable.
7. Searches for previous posts on the same subject to avoid duplicate posting is not always successful. If there is something posted elsewhere, point that out, but don't accuse the poster of not searching before posting. How about a standard "This has been posted here (link) as well, if you want additional comment."
Finally, if someone's analysis is clearly based on erroneous information, correct them on the information and ask them to reevaluate their position. Don't say, "why don't you get educated before posting that dreck, dumb-$%#." In 24 hour news cycles, information flows free, fast, and sometimes its wrong. Give posters the benefit of the doubt and at least a chance to correct themselves. If they don't, then you will have plenty of time to respond.
And all this time I thought he said "Can't we all just get a Long Island iced tea."
Actually, Rodney said "OUCH!!OOOF! Stop...OW!! hitting me".
Did you know that Ronald Reagan called libertarianism the heart and soul of conservatism?