Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

USA Men's Basketball Team (Warning: Spoiler)
Self

Posted on 08/15/2004 10:54:31 AM PDT by technomage

The USA Men's Basketball team is losing by 22 points at the half to Puerto Rico. This is the largest deficit ever faced by a USA Olympic Basketball team since they went to NBA players.

Only one team showed up to play in the first half.


TOPICS: Extended News; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: americanfubar; backtothehottub; bballbozos; carmeloisascrub; catastropheonwood; choke; custerslastfreethrow; doweplayfrance; everyonehatesnba; fourjerksandasquirt; freekobebryant; freetripandatshirt; gangatestscaredthem; hughloosers; jailkobebryant; latexmedalwinners; leon; mamawheresmypa; missingkobe; missingmcgrady; missingpaulpierce; missingrayallen; missingshaq; mondalethewaterboy; nbaequalsstd; nbaiscrap; nosexinchampaignroom; olympics; playcarmelo; playedbballlikekerry; prdisaster; spanked; stunedbeebers; talkinboutpractice; tattoosdontwingames; thebaddreamteam; usausausausausaoops; usteam; whybother; workreleaseprogram
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-153 next last

1 posted on 08/15/2004 10:54:31 AM PDT by technomage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: technomage
This collection of talented players doesn't stand a chance against a talented team. It was no fluke that team USA finished in 6th place in last year's world championships.
2 posted on 08/15/2004 10:57:50 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage

Predictable.

This bunch stinks. We'd be better served with a talented group of amateurs who learned to play as a team. (Of course that's almost unheard of in the U.S. any longer.)


3 posted on 08/15/2004 10:58:09 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage
Look on the bright side. Puerto Rico is part of the United States. We support them, train them, and allow them to march into the Olympics under their own banner and flag.

China throws a hissy fit and won't allow Taiwan, for which it offers nothing but hostility, to do any of these things.

If Puerto Rico goes on to win this basketball game and enough more games for a medal, it will be almost the same as a victory for the United States.

4 posted on 08/15/2004 10:58:35 AM PDT by Vigilanteman (crime would drop like a sprung trapdoor if we brought back good old-fashioned hangings)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage

This is what you get when a governing body picks players, no coach input and you think you can just field a team of the guys selling the most in jersey sales and go over and beat the world.
Welcome to reality USA Basketball.
This is the game we USED to play here. Pick and Rolls are now defined in Europe.
This is embarassing for a game that we have absolutely owned.
Next Olympics at least send the college all-stars, at least they play like they care.
To a man, USA Basketball governing body should resign after this Olympics and rethink this NBA-lite approach to international basketball.


5 posted on 08/15/2004 10:58:44 AM PDT by WoodstockCat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage

Any team with Allan Iverson on it is doomed to failure.


6 posted on 08/15/2004 11:00:16 AM PDT by John Lenin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage

Take note as to what a mod did to the title of your thread.


7 posted on 08/15/2004 11:00:29 AM PDT by hole_n_one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: John Lenin

Iverson sucks


8 posted on 08/15/2004 11:00:36 AM PDT by okstate
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: technomage

Team USA Basketball is an amalgam of political correctness. Simply put, White Basketball players need not apply. Get used to the idea that Europeans or Africans will continue to beat Team USA.


9 posted on 08/15/2004 11:00:38 AM PDT by Blake#1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: WoodstockCat

The NBA may well be the worst professional sports league in our nation. It is filled with nothing but hip-hop hype. I hate to hear that any team representing our nation is losing.


10 posted on 08/15/2004 11:01:31 AM PDT by TennTuxedo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: John Lenin
Any team with Allan Iverson on it is doomed to failure.

I root for the US to lose, and he's one of the main reason why. Go Puerto Rico. Go whoever is playing the US b-ball team (as long as NBA players are on the team).

11 posted on 08/15/2004 11:01:38 AM PDT by Texas_Dawg (2004 Doom World Tour.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Texas_Dawg

Iverson has a way of pissing off the entire team with his "I'm the greatest" attitude.


12 posted on 08/15/2004 11:04:54 AM PDT by John Lenin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: John Lenin

Any team with Allan Iverson on it is doomed to failure.


I'll second that!!


13 posted on 08/15/2004 11:05:03 AM PDT by Renegade
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: hole_n_one
Take note as to what a mod did to the title of your thread.

Yup, I saw that but have not yet figured out the reasoning or the new headline.

14 posted on 08/15/2004 11:08:23 AM PDT by technomage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: PBRSTREETGANG

Well, having NBA players in the Olympics isn't wrong for the simple reason that they are professionals. It is because NBA basketball has totally bastardized the sport -- they travel halfway down the court without getting called, their talent is measured by the spectacular nature of their dunks, etc etc.

It is like having Hulk Hogan enter the greco-roman wrestling competition. This is pretty much a foregone conclusion.


15 posted on 08/15/2004 11:09:04 AM PDT by jojodamofo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: technomage; Admin Moderator

Why post a spoiler warning? It's live on TV in the US.


16 posted on 08/15/2004 11:10:46 AM PDT by sharktrager (The road to hell is paved with good intentions. And the paving contractor lives in Chappaqua.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage
This is what happens when the collective basketball talent in the US learns ALL that it knows about the game from the 5 second snippets of somebody showboating every night on ESPN.

What happened to the FUNDAMENTALS of the game? They seem to have been forgotten!

17 posted on 08/15/2004 11:10:59 AM PDT by DoctorMichael (The Fourth Estate is a Fifth Column!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: okstate

Reminds me of an old saying: There is no gravity, the earth sucks.


18 posted on 08/15/2004 11:11:13 AM PDT by savedbygrace
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: sharktrager
It's live on TV in the US.

Not on the west coast...

19 posted on 08/15/2004 11:12:29 AM PDT by Drango (Free speech only for the veterans who agree with Kerry. All others must be silenced.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: jojodamofo
It is because NBA basketball has totally bastardized the sport -- they travel halfway down the court without getting called, their talent is measured by the spectacular nature of their dunks, etc etc.

Yep.

20 posted on 08/15/2004 11:12:38 AM PDT by PogySailor (Proud member of the RAM)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Drango
Not on the west coast... Oops..
21 posted on 08/15/2004 11:13:17 AM PDT by okstate
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: sharktrager
Why post a spoiler warning? It's live on TV in the US

And only halftime when this was posted.

22 posted on 08/15/2004 11:13:27 AM PDT by technomage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: technomage

Yeah, the P.R. team had the nerve to play defense which is like cheating in the NBA.

Forget this bunch of pampered, me-first, losers. The Iraqi soccer team is playing on CNBC.


23 posted on 08/15/2004 11:14:10 AM PDT by Dr Snide (vis pacem, para bellum - Prepare for war if you want peace)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TennTuxedo

It's obvious that the millionaire hip-hop hedonists which play for the NBA have spent more time primping than practicing.


24 posted on 08/15/2004 11:14:21 AM PDT by AF68
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: PBRSTREETGANG

I'd must rather have college players. I can't stand the NBA... even to watch players from my school in the league. It's just terrible.


25 posted on 08/15/2004 11:14:21 AM PDT by okstate
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: PogySailor

I often analogize the NBA to professional wrestling. From the incompetent referees right down to that animal who choked his coach a few years ago.


26 posted on 08/15/2004 11:15:28 AM PDT by jojodamofo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Mojo

Like the announcers have pointed out, the US has no shooters.

International rules makes it much more difficult to drive the lane to the basket, which is what the US players are best at.


27 posted on 08/15/2004 11:15:28 AM PDT by Guillermo (It's the 99% of Mohammedans that make the other 1% look bad.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: jojodamofo
"It is like having Hulk Hogan enter the greco-roman wrestling competition."

You summed up my feelings about the "Dream Team" exactly, JoJo! They are not a team, they are five guys on the court doing their own thing. That may work in swimming or sprinting, but it is fatal in a team sport.

The USA Basketball team needs a total egoectomy.
28 posted on 08/15/2004 11:15:55 AM PDT by Law is not justice but process
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: technomage
I would imagine that the posting of any results in the headline itself when the televised airing of these Games is staggered througout the Country was the reason.
29 posted on 08/15/2004 11:16:00 AM PDT by hole_n_one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: okstate
Re:Iverson sucks

< liberal logic > *gasp*, why, why, why you can't say that, that's racists. Alan is an african american who deserves the benifit of the doubt, and should not be judged by his performance. " < / liberal logic >

30 posted on 08/15/2004 11:16:55 AM PDT by ChadGore (Vote Bush. He's Earned It.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: sharktrager

I don't believe that it's being aired live (as usual) on the left coast.


31 posted on 08/15/2004 11:17:43 AM PDT by hole_n_one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: technomage

Where is the diversity police when it comes to this team?


32 posted on 08/15/2004 11:18:13 AM PDT by CurlyBill (John Kerry = Paris by Proxy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: technomage

There's a reason why the NBA folks are drafting high schoolers and Europeans. The Europeans play a team game and drill constantly on fundamentals. The high schoolers are not old enough to be (totally) corrupted by agents and can be taught how to play.


33 posted on 08/15/2004 11:18:20 AM PDT by Coachm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: DoctorMichael
What happened to the FUNDAMENTALS of the game?

They started dying after John Wooden's retirement.

34 posted on 08/15/2004 11:18:33 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: hole_n_one

Actually, this game is being played now, live. It is not tape delayed.


35 posted on 08/15/2004 11:19:06 AM PDT by technomage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: technomage

I am actually quite pleased to see that my ultimate dream is being realized: The United States now consistently fields a better team in ice hockey than in basketball for international competition.


36 posted on 08/15/2004 11:21:02 AM PDT by Alberta's Child ("Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium . . . sed ego sum homo indomitus")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Mojo
This collection of talented players doesn't stand a chance against a talented team. It was no fluke that team USA finished in 6th place in last year's world championships.

If the idiots who handpicked this team didn't see what happened to another gang of talented players who were absolutely destroyed by a team when the Lakers got wiped out by the Pistons, they need to be fired. I give Larry Brown credit for being a good coach, but there's no way he can meld a team from all these egos.

Bring back the college players, and hold tryouts like they used to. And bring back college coaches. If Bob Knight can win the Gold with amateurs, I think Mike Kzrcwewski, or however you spell his name, can too. This "Dream Team" crap is a joke now.

37 posted on 08/15/2004 11:21:03 AM PDT by ABG(anybody but Gore) ("I'm just a gigolo, and everywhere I go, people know I'm lyin' about 'Nam".....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Guillermo
International rules makes it much more difficult to drive the lane to the basket, which is what the US players are best at.

A good USA team would be able to overcome that, and a great USA team (like the original '92 Dream Team) would dominate under any circumstances. This team just plain sucks.

38 posted on 08/15/2004 11:21:25 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: technomage

I rather watch the Costa Rica/Iraq soccer match. Much more exciting.


39 posted on 08/15/2004 11:23:19 AM PDT by Maigrey (For the record I wouldn't vote for John Kerry if he were the last man on earth. - Notpolcorewrkd)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Mojo

Well, it's like having a baseball team made up only of catchers and shortstops.


40 posted on 08/15/2004 11:23:25 AM PDT by Guillermo (It's the 99% of Mohammedans that make the other 1% look bad.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: technomage
Again, not on the west coast.

Personally, I think if one is so wanting in not knowing any results in advance of watching it, they should not access the 'net........and most certainly not FR.

We've gone thru this same excercise for years now on FR.

41 posted on 08/15/2004 11:23:36 AM PDT by hole_n_one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

To: okstate

Yep - love college basketball. But the NBA is nothing but a hip-hop street ball exhibition.


42 posted on 08/15/2004 11:23:38 AM PDT by July 4th (You need to click "Abstimmen")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: Guillermo

A minute to go in the 3rd, and we now have more turnovers than field goals.


43 posted on 08/15/2004 11:25:05 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: hole_n_one

Actually yes, on the West Coast (where I am). This game is live and being shown now. You can also get the live results on NBCOlympics.com as they are updated about every 30 seconds as the game progresses.


44 posted on 08/15/2004 11:25:18 AM PDT by technomage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: Guillermo
International rules makes it much more difficult to drive the lane to the basket, which is what the US players are best at.

No three giant steps rule in International play.

45 posted on 08/15/2004 11:25:52 AM PDT by razorback-bert
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Mojo

Embarassing.

I turned it to the Iraq/Costa Rica soccer (shudder) match.

Iraq is getting huge cheers.


46 posted on 08/15/2004 11:26:12 AM PDT by Guillermo (It's the 99% of Mohammedans that make the other 1% look bad.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: Guillermo
Well, it's like having a baseball team made up only of catchers and shortstops.

This group looks like a basketball team made up of catchers and shortstops.

47 posted on 08/15/2004 11:26:55 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

To: hole_n_one
Again, not on the west coast.

Unless one has satellite ;)

48 posted on 08/15/2004 11:26:57 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: razorback-bert

The announcers said they allow an extra step at the end of a drive.

There is no defensive 3 second rule in International play.


49 posted on 08/15/2004 11:27:15 AM PDT by Guillermo (It's the 99% of Mohammedans that make the other 1% look bad.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

To: DoctorMichael
What happened to the FUNDAMENTALS of the game? They seem to have been forgotten!

I mostly agree, but then again don't forget that the Pistons whipped the Lakers butt this year with their team-oriented approach and solid fundamentals. Pity we couldn't just send that team as our representative.

50 posted on 08/15/2004 11:27:32 AM PDT by PMCarey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-150151-153 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson