Skip to comments.The Summary of Up-to-date N. Korean Intels
Posted on 08/22/2004 10:25:48 AM PDT by TigerLikesRooster
/being my translation
The Summary of Recent N. Korean Intel
1. These days, in N. Korea, people watch in secret S. Korean melodrama such as 'Winter Love Song'(my note: aka Winter Sonata also wildly popular in Japan, original name: Kyo-wool-yon-ga) and 'Autumn Fairy Tale.' Videotapes of these dramas are smuggled from China. N. Korean authorities try to crack down on them. However, many party officials watch them, too. Their efforts have been hardly successful. Once people watch these dramas, they drastically change people's mind.
2. Recently, it is common that N. Korean defectors who came to S. Korea call up with Chinese cell-phones family members in N. Korea(who also have Chinese cell-phones.) (N. Korean) Areas within 30-40km from Sino-N. Korean border, can be reached via cellphones. N. Korean security purchased signal detectors from China and installed them on their Jeeps in order to track down cellphone users. However, it resulted in little success. Again, security agents themselves like to use cellphones. If they use them, they ended up exposing themselves to detection.
3. Current economic situation in N. Korea is deteriorating badly. Capacity utilization of factories and mines is plummeting and street kids are on the rise again. Some are starving to deaths. Authorities started to go after illegal business activities. Price of rice is rocketing. Kim Jong-il is intensifying his 'rule by fear', but it is common perception that it would be far short of shoring up the system in a free fall.
4. In Japanese and S. Korean intelligence communities, a rumor is spreading, which says that Ko Yong-hi, the current wife of Kim Jong-il, is dead. Kim Jong-il have never let her name and her existence known to N. Korean general public. It is a state secret in N. Korea that Kim Jong-il has three sons, Kim Jong-nam, Kim Jong-un, and Kim Jong-chul, born from two different women. As a result, even if Ko Yong-hi is dead, Kim Jong-il can neither publicly announce it nor have a public funeral.
5. There has been reports from Japanese sources that Kim Jong-il's eldest son, Kim Jong-name, is now assumed the role of the Kim Jong-il's successor. However, Korean agencies discounts their credibility. Things turned worse for the Kim Jong-il's brother-in-law, Jang Sung-thaek, who has been under house arrest. He is now undergoing ideological re-education.
6. Karaoke bars are spreading in N. Korea. The regime does not crack down on them unless patrons sing S. Korean (popular) songs. They close down the place if that happens.
7. Kim Jong-il regime deployed Worker-peasant Red Militia(N. Korean militia) at Sino-N. Korean border to stop the flow of N. Korean escapees. They are reported to be more strict than regular military. The regular N. Korean military got hooked onto bribes and look the other way for N. Korean escapees. However, the militia reportedly go by the book so far.
8. Judging from various reports, one has to wonder if the Kim Jong-il regime is in the irrevocable process of collapse. As it stands, S. Korea basically feeds residents of Pyongyang and N. Korean military. If the political climate changes in S. Korea, even this life-line could stop.
/end my translation
OHHH how sad Mrs Kim Jong 11 is dead
Tiger I thought it just rumor I know it was breast cancer suppose they say
I am very suprise Little Kim didn't hold State funeral for his late wife she is after all Mother of the country
So, how many years has it been reported that N. Korea is on the verge of collapse?
I can't imagine a communist, hereditary monarchy lasting for any great length of time, at least, not from an historical perspective.
It's kind of like what happened to the Caesars, whose genetic stock kept being diminished through incessant inbreeding, eventually leading to the misrule that characterized the regimes of Caligula and Nero.
Unified, democratic Korea ping!
-good times, G.J.P. (Jr.)
Thank you for the ping.
I will post a link on the Terror files thread.
I have suggested that the readers check your threads for the info on N. Korea.
Please check out the above thread and join us, we need to know so much more than we do.
I think It started under Clinton, so he shored them up.
Hey I don't know if you guys here in US on History Channel our fav Wo Fat reject LITTLE KIM JONG 11 going be on History profile on that channel this Tuesday start at 9:30pm est
I'll be sure to check out that link.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to cable television "Seven", so I won't be able to watch that program.
Personally, I think that channels like A&E and The History Channel are the only worthwhile reasons for getting cable in the first place.
Rack your ping list
I am so there
Please add me to your ping list. I'm interested.
Kim Jong-il's Mortal Enemy
Autumn Fairy Tale
uhhh...what does 'rack' mean?
Thanks 7 of 9.
I can see why he would want to suppress beauty.
There will be scenes in there, in Winter Sonata, etc., showing downtown, modern Seoul, South Korea with all the accoutrement of advanced living. North Koreans accustomed to eating tree bark are going to get ideas in their heads, and some of them might be a disposition to get growingly pissed off with Kim Jong il for their miserable lives.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.