Skip to comments.Flashback: Dan Rather attends Tex Dem Fundraiser and defends Daughter (possible source of forgery)
Posted on 09/10/2004 10:55:03 AM PDT by watsonfellow
Dan Rather came under criticism after it was revealed by the Washington Post that he had given a keynote speech at a fund-raiser for Texas Democrats:
GERALDO RIVERA: Let me just read you this news account, April 5th, USA Today: "Conservatives and pundits had a field day at Dan Rather's expense Wednesday after the CBS anchor apologized for being the star attraction at a recent Democratic fundraiser in Texas that raised 20 grand." Was that one of the worst mistakes you've made at least recently?
DAN RATHER: Well, it certainly was one of the dumbest mistakes I ever made. But as you know, Geraldo--you and I have known each other for a long time--I can be dumb as a sack full of hammers about a lot of things. And what I really hated about that, it was a dumb mistake. There's no defense, and those who want to criticize me for that, I'd have to say I think that's valid criticism. It was a--the proverbial honest mistake, but it was a--such a dumb mistake, and I did apologize for it and I should have.
RIVERA: Did you do it because your daughter was involved at the local political level?
RATHER: No. I--you know, I have to take responsibility for it. On the one--
RIVERA: You're a big guy to take responsibility.
RATHER: Well, absolutely. You have to up and--you know, and face the furnace and take the heat, and I do. My daughter is very active in environmental protection in Texas. She speaks up for Republicans who love the environment as well as Democrats, but it wasn't her fault. It was my fault. You know, I should have known better. I did know better. But what can I say other than it was just one of the dumbest things I've done anytime lately? And if you look at my career, I've done a lot of dumb things.
RIVERA: Oh, well, I think you've done a lot of amazing, amazing things. You've accomplished so much. My favorite newsman. Here is it, he's written another one, sure to be a best-seller, The American Dream, Dan Rather. Thank you for being on the show.
--Dan Rather and Geraldo Rivera on Rivera Live, May 21, 2001.
1) Clearly, despite decades in the news biz, this interview shows that Dan Rather's objectivity goes out the window when his left-wing activist daughter comes a'calling.
2) If his daughter has enough influence on him to make him attend a Texas Democratic fundraiser (where Barnes was possibly in attendance, he gave money to support the event, surely he must have been there...), then could she also not have enough influence to pass along some documents.
3) Noticed when questioned about it, he took all the blame and shielded his daughter, after all she is not left-wing, she "supports republicans" ha ha ha ha......So we need to look at what he is doing now as shielding.
My money's on the Barnes and Robin connection. Clearly Robin and Barnes have met, and quite possibly, Rather, his daughter, and Barnes were all at the same fundraiser a few years ago.
FREEPERS I LAY THE EVIDENCE BEFORE YOU. GO GET EM!
what the hell are you tlaking about, you take a interview from 2001 and Rather mentions his daughter and you think that she is the source?
Thats a SERIOUS stretch
Robin Rather has ALREADY been implicated in the Fake Doc issue, this is just followup informaiton. Get up to speed with the issues before splamming someone or it makes you look ...ummmm ...you know.
You did not read them here or in previous posts.
I will repeat them.
1) Dan Rather's journalistic objectivity (even the Mainstream media libs know you DON"T appear at political party fundraisers) was very publicly breeched or compromised because of his daugther in the past.
2) Barnes was a contributer at this fundraiser. He gave money for this even, I am doing research now to see if he was there. If he was, you have Barnes and Dan Rather at a Democratic fundraiser in Texas together........so clearly the interview on Wed is a tinge compromised.
3) The forgeries I believe originated in texas.
4) Read powerlineblog.com, clearly the documents in question were not given to some CBS News Staff, but to Dan Rather himself...only DR could have these forgeries run without verification. Who would DR trust enough not to verify the documents? His own daugther, who has in the past compromised his journalistic objectivity.
5) His recent comments seem really really defensive, as if he is protecting a source, just like he tried to protect his daughter in this interview...and not some ordinary source, but a closely related source...it's all in the family!
Well, if I've learned anything, its that all Republican donors in Texas=Bush. Its not out of the question that such an activist in left wing Texas politics was a connection between the former Dem Lt Governor and The Dan.
As Rather himself would say; its the seriousness of the charge that needs to be investigated further.
Actually, hammers serve a useful purpose..unlike Rather.
Dan Rather [trolling again on the frequency of murder, mayhem and terror]: "Mr. President, if only you knew how
much I and others at CBS support, worship, and kneel to you.
We will NEVER let American forces hurt you. We will coverup all your atrocities. Do not fear.
CBS is with you, Mr. President."
Terrorist-Murderer Saddam: "Mr, Rather, it is absolutely remarkable that you media girly men
will repeatedly betray your own country, your own President, and even the free American people during war.
Do you realize, Mr. Rather, that for millions of Iraqis and my captives
I had to gang rape each man's child and his wife and often him,
and then burn them each in nitric acid, and then mutilate them by cutting off at least an ear,
and then force them to watch me push their children through a paper shredder
to get a fraction of your obedience and loyalty.
Mr. Rather, I used to have to remove two testicles and two arms before we have every seen such betrayal as yours.
But you and CBS, grovel to me ...... ..... for ..... for nothing.
Thank you, Mr. Rather.
Thank you. We, terrorists, al Qaeda, and Baathists worldwide, thank you."
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.