Skip to comments.BURKETT CONTRADICTED HIMSELF ON SOURCE OF DOCUMENTS (Big Surprise!)
Posted on 09/22/2004 7:21:04 AM PDT by soccermom
OK, we shouldn't be surprised by now that Burkett is exposed as a fraud, but I found this contradiction so glaring I can't believe the press hasn't picked up on it:
Burkett is claiming that he was given the documents by someone named Lucy Ramirez (or her shadowy courier). From USA Today:
"Burkett said he arranged to get the documents during a trip to Houston for a livestock show in March. But instead of being met at the show by Ramirez, he was approached by a man who asked for Burkett, handed him an envelope and quickly left, Burkett recounted."
But as recently as August 13 he posted on DemocRATS.com, claiming that he had no such documentation:
"I have found no documentation from LTC Killian's hand or staff that indicate that this unit was involved in any complicit way to either cover for the failures of 1LT Bush, or to provide him pay or certification for training not completed. On the contrary, LTC Killians' remarks are rare, indeed, especially considering that 1LT Bush was known clearly as a congressman's son and had utilized his position as such, to gain a favor of his failure to train while in Alabama. I have to believe that earning that favor was completed by false pretenses also due to LTC Killian's officer evaluation comment."
Clearly Burkett is lying. So on the 13th he claims to have had NOTHING, but a week later he is calling the Kerry campaign with information. Hmmmmmmm......IMO, he never had any documentation and became frustrated with the Swiftboat success so he forged the documents himself. Now that the forgery has been exposed, he is inventing this Lucy Ramirez.
THE DOCUMENT ISSUE IS DEALT WITH, FINISH THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR dnCBS... THESE ARE THE ISSUES THAT SHOULD BE IN THE PRESS EVERYWHERE AND IT WILL FINISH dnCBS
The other issues expose HOW THE MEDIA WING OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY ACTUALLY WORKS! CBS' "gold standard" included:
1. The widow and son were IGNORED
2. Document experts were IGNORED
3. Hodges was MISLED
4. The old secretary was NOT INTERVIEWED until afterward
5. Staudt, who had his character attacked in one memo, was never contacted
6. The opinions of the experts were MISREPRESENTED
7. The swift boat veterans were MALIGNED
8. George Bush's roomate DURING HIS GUARD YEARS, who AGREED TO SPEAK TO THEM WAS TURNED DOWN BECAUSE HE WAS TOO "PRO BUSH"...
And the list goes on. Fact is, this was a HIT PIECE ON BUSH. And just because dnCBS owns up to fake documents does NOT CLEAR THEIR PROPAGANDA / DNC REPORTING!!
Sorry -- I accidentally posted this before proof-reading. I hope it is OK.
It's time for CBS to come clean.
All excellent points -- but, clearly, the source of the forgery is important, too.
It's more than OK! It's really good, and you're making a good point. I think you should send it as a letter to the ditor at USA Today.
Also add to that that Staudt has since come forward to deny ANY special treatment for Bush and See BS has YET to interview him.
Good suggestion --- not that I have much luck with getting letters published to USA Today.
No, you should phrase that "I actually did proofread the post before I didn't."
1. Failing to use the best document experts it could find,
2. Hiring a signature expert to look at a copied document when he himself said earlier that doing such a thing was foolish,
3. Ignoring and lying about the testimony of those it did hire,
4. Failing to interview Marian Knox as well as the others listed above,
5. Not interviewing anyone directly connected with Lt. Col Killian,
6. Not informing viewers that Staudt had retired a year-and-a-half before the time he was supposedly trying to help "sugarcoat" Bush's record,
7. Failing to inform viewers that not a single verified document signed by Killian or his fellow officers during the time period used the typographical techniques used in the CBS Memos,
8. Not mentioning Ben Barnes's partisan background enough,
9. Not disclosing the 30-year friendship of the two Texas Democrats Barnes and Rather,
10. Failing to even know who producer Mary Mapes's document source was before the broadcast,
11. Dishonestly impugning the motives of critics,
12. Using its news broadcasts to defend a bad report instead of examining how it could be wrong,
13. Never once featuring a single document expert on the air who doubted CBS's claims,
14. Putting total non-experts on the air to spin the preferred "authentic" line even though CBS would not allow them to see its documents,
15. Not mentioning that Killian never kept notes and hated to type,
16. Failing to provide the public with copies of the documents as close as possible to the ones CBS obtained,
17. Not finding out if the office in which Killian worked even had a typewriter capable of duplicating most of the complex formatting used in the CBS documents (it did not),
18. Using the testimony of a vehemently anti-Bush author to prove its case and simply referring to him as an author who "wrote two books on the subject,"
19. Failing to inform viewers that its document source was someone who hated George Bush,
20. Not telling viewers that one of its key (if not the key) sources was a man known to be mentally unstable and one who has lodged false accusations against Bush for years.
Has anyone noticed that Burkett says he would not give over the documents to CBS until he spoke to someone from the DNC -- while Lockhart says that CBS had already received the documents and a day later he was asked to call Burkett. Methinks Lockhart is LYING.
I have sent numerous emails to all talk show hosts. No mention anywhere. Hannity needs to read that article every night until someone, somewhere, picks up on it.
I have been saying it for several months now, the one thing about the Vietnam war and the war in Iraq/Afghanistan that is exactly the same is ... the media is lying to us.
I've read from more than one source about Colonel Staudt's comments and I know Fox News has covered it. What we need to be demanding is why SEE BS, who claims to have been working on this story for 4 years, never bothered to interview him -- and STILL hasn't.
Well, I've illustrated Burkett's lie. The "proof" is he has said two contradictory things. One of them has to be a lie.
I believe Burkett is the forger. There are small clues such as the (previous freeper posts) of the phrases he has used in postings on the internet that have been retrieved by googling. Also the use of "army" NG terms vs. air force NG terms in the memos. I do think the documents have been around since at least early August and possibly early this year. I think all the chief "Rats" have been aware of these documents for a while and that it is common knowledge - was supposed to be the "October Surprise" Estrich and others talked about. The 60 minutes broadcast pre-empted the official season beginning, which was supposed to be next week. My 2 cents...