to be apolitical - the reason is simple - compare the large cities with beehives or ant colonies - they require a communist/socialist organization simply to survive - they know NOTHING else.
A friend of mine, one of the last remaining WWII vets, was a tank commander in Europe during that war. He recounted stories of the farmers in the country dumping rotted foodstuffs because they had so much extra --- but --- less than a mile away, in the cities, people were starving to death.
WHY? The city dwellers were the socialists/communists who had known nothing but being provided for by a centralized govt. They could not even figure out that food is grown on farms and the farms were just outside their city limits.
Were they "evil commies"? no! They were simply ignorant, bred and raised to be a cog on a wheel.
Actually, it can be traced back to WELFARE. Welfare created a dependency amongst the lowest economic strata. Back in the 60's during the civil rights movement, white guilt allowed the handouts to become a way of life for blacks. Welfare also encouraged the breakdown of black families (the more kids the bigger the check). When dependent on welfare, its a lot easier to live in center city USA due to lack of car ownership and the convenience that cities offer.
As crime went up in major cities, white plight took money and small businesses out of the cities. The population left behind were mostly government-dependent people. They elected local "leaders" that promised more government programs and handouts - there's nothing like voting yourself a raise and a few more bennies.
Nationally, the democrats latched onto blacks as a voting block. Today we have race pimps Sharpton and Jackson. The democrats as a party have made race baiting and exploitation of the social achievement gap an artform. So if you are in the lower economic strata and are told from the day you are born that your situation is what it is because of whitey, big business, big oil etc., you will vote for the people that allegedly are looking out for you.
I'm so lucky someone brought this up!. I was thinking about it myself!. I am still trying to put the pieces together. I am a Spaniard who came to CA 4 years ago, and I think I still don't know USA too well.
1. One factor is that the cities have much higher rates of criminality, prostitution, etc. That is only a very small part of the vote.
2. People in cities like to feel "sophisticated". The ones who don't actually end up to go to the suburban areas. They dress well, eat healthy, and use "the persuasion of words". They are most politically correct and diplomats; prefer to not speak up their minds if they are going to be disliked. Also, they are more egocentric and materialistic and narcissits. Fighting for something else but themselves is just annoying for them. Anything for free from the Government will free up time and resources for their sophisticated lives. Also having morals reduces fun.
3. I can't understand why the minorities in cities feel republicans are going to play hunting with them. Can someone explain?. I am a foreigner in CA, and never, ever felt discriminated for my accent, looks, gender, religion...
4. The media reaches rural areas as much as it reaches cities. So I don't know whether that is a factor.
5. Education. Here, like in Spain, College is, together with the media, the greatest leftist propaganda machinery. I can't understand that people who read, is able to take logical conclusions from facts, can't see the reality of the country/world. Does someone know how that is possible?.
6. About owners: in cities people also own homes; the biggest investment of your life. I don't think that plays a part.
Oh, boy! once the conscience is relaxed it's so hard to go back.