Skip to comments.Democrats abandoning ideals, Nader says
Posted on 01/24/2005 4:55:41 AM PST by alessandrofiaschi
Former independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader blasted Democrats and Republicans alike as he spoke before a subdued crowd of roughly 300 at a Seattle Center conference room yesterday.
Nader accused Democrats of abandoning their liberal ideals by failing to oppose the war or champion the causes of the working class and the poor, minorities and the environment. He also complained of Democratic efforts to keep him off ballots in various states. Democrats, he said, should have beat Bush by a landslide, but they failed by trying to capture conservative voters and abandoning their liberal base. Nader called on people to join a concerted campaign to pressure Congress, saying 1 million people around the country dedicating 200 hours and $100 a year could advance liberal causes.
Nader also was stumping for money to pay off a roughly $250,000 debt from the 2004 presidential campaign. Nader faired poorly in Washington state, seeing his vote count drop from 103,000 in 2000 to 23,000 in 2004.
Pffffff... What a mess between liberals.
Liberal ideals: socialism, cowardice, class envy, and paganism....
If liberals ran on what they really think it would not be close, but at least they'd be honest. And no, idiots, the problem is not that you aren't getting your message out.
Me thinks Ralphie has to read up on his HISTORY.
Talk about a guy being delusional!
And here I thought I was paying close attention to the election campaign for two years.
I must really concentrate for 2006. ;)
I'm no fan of Nader, but there's a certain truth in it. Some people really think government can help the poor and downtrodden, and at least you can credit them with pity for the poor and downtrodden.
A hundred years of welfare failure might suggest otherwise, but hope springs eternal.
On the other hand, by historical standards, most union workers are now rich--so much for the downtrodden workers. They strive to become richer, but the chief concern of Democrats now is to preserve and expands their rights to sexual perversion and abortion. It's hard to pretend that these are compassionate issues, although they certainly try very hard to make them so with their coathanger marches and gay pride parades.
It works both ways....A million FReepers sitting around in their PJs can do a lot also...
Earth to Nader..democRATs never had any ideas, only dem-agogery.
You gotta have something before you can abandon it.
that's ideals or ideas, they never had either.
yep, going as far left will reallt do it for them. LOL
Sorry for the typo's. Should have read---
Yep, going as far left as possible will really do it for them. LOL
I was slower than many Freepers. I only realized the Democrats had abandoned their ideals around the time that they tried to skewer Clarence Thomas and had the media's complicity in their efforts. I was ashamed of how cruel and dishonest the Democrats were, and couldn't stay in the party.
Other idealistic Democrats will wake up when they see the Neo-Progs (Neo-progressives - rhymes with Neo-Frogs) try to skewer Gonzales, Condi, and Bush's other nominees.
The Democratic Inquisition is in full swing now. Boxer is Grand Inquisitor at the moment.
Idealistic people don't like Inquisitors, do they Ralph Nader?
According to him ALL the problems on the planet earth, and especially here, are caused by the horrible big business.
Thus, all the solutions lie in reining in big business.
Simplistic and dead wrong.
The young and the dumb keep voting for him and sending him money.
5. Yugoslavia - Clinton, Democrat
THE LIBERAL CREDO
1. Capitalism creates oppression; government creates opportunity.
2. Traditional gender roles are artificial but feminism and homosexuality are government-protected lifestyles.
3. Self-esteem is paramount; government must undertake to guarantee each citizen-victim self-esteem no matter the cost.
4. The ACLU is good, because destroying religion and silencing believers are protected by the Constitution and the First Amendment; The NRA is bad because it defends the Constitution.
5. Standardized IQ tests are racist; racial quotas and affirmative action are not. Conservatives are racists; everybody knows that Black people can't make it on their own without big-buck government assistance programs and Hollyweirdos to proselytize the message 24/7.
6. Abortion is a natural right. The Founders just forgot to put it in the Constitution.
7. Normal sex is perverted. Threesomes, bestiality, necrophilia, homosexuality are just new ways to get a thrill.
8. Moral indignation is a liberal's standard strategy for endowing our output with superiority.
9. Victimization is our basic belief by which we blame and find others responsible for our own personal failures, then expect taxpayers, deep-pocketed individuals, or the courts to bail us out. It feels good to be in the throes of "victimization" and either A) causing victims, B) concocting victims, C) playing victim, D) commiserating over victims, or E) creating another class of victims to bleed over.
10. It's a liberal's duty to treat Middle America in the manner of raising mushrooms, that is to say, keep them in the dark and feed them lots of horse manure.
Go left young man, go left. All the wealth and riches are there.
"at least you can credit them with pity for the poor and downtrodden."
"Not Yours To Give" -- Davy Crockett's Lesson in Government Benevolence
B.O. Plenty speaks.
What ideals? Is Nader referring to corrupt big-city politics, or segregation? Those are two big features of the Democrats' past.
Denny Crane: "I look to two things: First to God and then to Fox News."
Which historical standards are you going by? How many "rich" union workers, by workers I mean workers not management working for a union company, do you know personally. I worked in a union shop for 35 years and never got rich. What I did get was health insurance, the right to not get fired because my eyes were not the right color and the right to turn down working on my days off if I chose not to. These were just some of the benefits for working Union. I did receive more pay than non-union workers working the same jobs in other places but that is hardly being rich.
I really think a lot of you have the wrong opinion about Unions and the people working in them. MOST union workers I personally know, do not vote the Union party, which is Democrat as we all know, but vote the party, usually republican, that they wish.
Instead of slamming Unions and others on here all the time you might want to see if any of them are, or have been, union and what they think. A union conservative is just as valuble as a non union conservative and far more valuble than a Democrat of any kind.
It is possible to make people switch sides when you blindly, like libs, chant rhetoric you have heard and come to believe over the years. Unions were necessary in this country and still are if people are to get decent pay and medical insurance through their employees instead of being stuck by corps like Wal-mart, who force their people to work overtime, in some states, without pay. Ok, enough but maybe you could be more careful and try to be less liberal with your biases.
Anyone doubt that he considered the latter to be a more egregious sin than the former?
Before you can abandon a ship, you must be on it. Otherwise you are all wet before you even start.
Once again, Nader's waaay off.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.