Does anyone have a reliable source for what the actual (behind the scenes/secret) security arrangement is between the US and Israel.
1. Israeli bases and aircraft would assist the US and fly joint missions; if they were needed in a major crisis.
In the long run it is cheaper for the US to give Israel modern Aircraft and let the Israelis fly, base and maintain the planes; than it is for us to maintain another 10 carrier battle groups.(We give them several billion in foreign aid which they turn around and use to buy military aircraft from us. Originally this was done to counteract threat of Soviet seizure of gulf oil)
2. If the survival of Israel was really at stake the US would step in, immediately.
3. A nuclear or large scale WMD attack on Israel would bring massive US retaliation.
4. CIA, NSA, FBI and State department contain dozens of Israeli sympathizers/agents. The US accepts the fact, that it can keep no secrets from Israeli security. (Pollard was prosecuted because the US was unhappy that the info he stole ended up in Soviet hands)
5. Israel will not use nuclear weapons without US approval. They will not mount a major attack (outside of Lebanon or Syria) without US Approval.
6. Mossad is free to operate in US; but may only kill actual foreign agents.
7. US Israeli, AWACS and other communication and combat control systems are compatible, have been tested and work together.
I must say that you are terribly wrong in some parts of your guess.
It's about time we acknowledged Israel as a full partner with the US in the war on terror.
(Pollard was prosecuted because the US was unhappy that the info he stole ended up in Soviet hands)
The only problem is that the evidence supposedly given to the Soviets was not the informaiton that Pollard possesed. It was the information on spies that Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames did. The FBI pinned the death of spies in the USSR on Pollard instead of cleaning house.
Pollard deserves to rot for what he did do, not what he did not do.