Skip to comments.Want Longer Life For Wife? Let Her Argue With You
Posted on 02/19/2005 10:58:11 AM PST by srm913
Want longer life for wife? Let her argue with you
LONDON - A WOMAN who keeps quiet during an argument with her husband is four times more likely to die from heart disease and other causes, according to a study published in the American Heart Association (AHA) journal.
Researchers believe women who argue with their husbands are warding off heart disease and other causes of death.
And women whose work had a disruptive effect on their home lives were twice as likely to develop heart disease.
The researchers studied 3,700 people in Framingham, Massachusetts, over a 10-year period, the BBC reported.
The joint Boston University and Wisconsin-based Eaker Epidemiology Enterprises team also found that marriage suited men as husbands only had half the chance of dying from heart disease as unmarried men.
Lead researcher Elaine Eaker said doctors should be looking for signs of marital stress to refer patients for counselling.
'We believe we have found characteristics of marriages that have an impact on people's health and longevity.
'While medical care providers are not specifically trained to intervene on psychosocial issues such as marital characteristics, they may be the most likely contact to observe or uncover these characteristics or emotions.'
A second study of 35,000 women by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta looked at the link between cardiovascular disease and work.
It found unemployed women looking for work reported the worst physical health, with nearly a third having high blood pressure and 6 per cent suffering a heart attack, stroke or chest pain.
At least one British doctor has disputed the research published in the AHA, saying it should be treated with a 'pinch of salt'.
'We need to remind ourselves that we self-select into certain groups. People who choose to get married have different characteristics from those who do not. So they may be more or less at risk of developing health problems.
'We cannot be sure that the research is comparing 'like with like', ' said Sir Alexander Macara, of the National Heart Forum.
My wife, OTOH, will be alive for 169 years at least ;)
A couple of Henny Youngman classics:
Why do Jewish men die before their wives? Because they want to.
Why are Jewish divorces so expensive? Because they are worth it.
(He used "Jewish", not me. They'd still be funny without it :))
Well, sounds like my soon to be ex will live to be 1,000...
Yeah SHE lives longer because she sucks the life out of YOU.
No problem here either!!!
Let me get this straight. If you argue with your wife, you're an ass. But if she wants to argue with your, it's medically proven to be the right thing to do.
Let me guess. If she wants the ba--s, it's best to let her have them...
Why do men die first?
If you put a woman on a pedestal and try to protect her from the rat race... you're a male chauvinist.
If you stay home and do the housework ... you're a pansy.
If you work too hard ... there's never any time for her.
If you don't work enough ... you're a good-for-nothing bum.
If she has a boring repetitive job with low pay.... this is exploitation.
If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay ... you should get off your lazy behind and find something better.
If you get a promotion ahead of her ... that is favoritism..
If she gets a job ahead of you ... it's equal opportunity.
If you mention how nice she looks ... it's sexual harassment.
If you keep quiet ... it's male indifference.
If you cry ... you're a wimp.
If you don't ... you're an insensitive bastard.
If you make a decision without consulting her.... you're a chauvinist.
If she makes a decision without consulting you.... she's a liberated woman.
If you ask her to do something she doesn't enjoy ... that's domination..
If she asks you ... it's a favor.
If you appreciate the female form and frilly underwear ... you're a pervert.
If you don't ... you're gay.
If you like a woman to shave her legs and keep in shape ... you're sexist.
If you don't ... you're unromantic.
If you try to keep yourself in shape ... you're vain.
If you don't ... you're a slob.
If you buy her flowers ... you're after something.
If you don't ... you're not thoughtful.
If you're proud of your achievements ... you're full of yourself.
If you don't ... you're not ambitious.
If she has a headache ... she's tired.
If you have a headache ... you don't love her anymore.
If you want it too often ... you're oversexed.
If you don't ... there must be someone else.
Men die first because they want to.
It doesn't really add years....it just seems much longer.
1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We like it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining when you leave it down.
1. Sunday sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.
1. Shopping is NOT fun. And no, we are never going to think of it that way.
1. Crying is blackmail.
1. Nagging is emotional abuse.
1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: Subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just ask!
1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.
1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. Girls discuss, guys fix things. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.
1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.
1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.
1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.
1. If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us.
1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.
1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.
1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.
1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we.
1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.
1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.
1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," we will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.
1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.
1 When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine...Really.
1. Don't! ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation, or monster trucks.
1. You have enough clothes.
1. You have too many shoes.
1. I am in shape. Round is a shape.
1. Thank you for reading this. Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight; but did you know men really don't mind that? It's like fancy camping.
Just think of the commerical with the referee being yelled at by his wife. Be at peace and remember, it's only background noise. ;)
2. VULNERABLE (vul-ne-ra-bel) adj.
Female...... Fully opening up one's self emotionally to another.
Male........ Playing football without a cup.
3. COMMUNICATION (ko-myoo-ni-kay-shon) n.
Female...... The open sharing of thoughts and feelings with one's partner.
Male........ Leaving a note before taking off on a fishing trip with the boys.
4. COMMITMENT (ko-mit-ment) n.
Female...... A desire to get married and raise a family.
Male........ Trying not to hit on other women while out with this one.
5. ENTERTAINMENT (en-ter-tayn-ment) n.
Female...... A good movie, concert, play or book.
Male........ Anything that can be done while drinking beer.
6. FLATULENCE (flach-u-lens) n
Female...... An embarrassing byproduct of indigestion.
Male........ A source of entertainment, and used as self-expression in male bonding.
7 MAKING LOVE (may-king luv) n.
Female...... The greatest expression of intimacy a couple can achieve.
Male........ Call it whatever you want, just as long as we do it.
8. REMOTE CONTROL (ri-moht kon-trohl) n.
Female...... A device for changing from one TV channel to another.
Male........ A device for scanning through all 375 channels every five minutes.
Be direct and ask for what you want, quit obsessing about your weight and quit looking at those dang mazines with the Diet of the Week on the covers, and don't drag out the old laundry list of injustices from years past.
Denny Crane: "There are two places to find the truth. First God and then Fox News."
That is soooo funny!
If she doesn't get it, you're doomed.
I did, she didn't get it, she moved out shortly thereafter...I'm free - FREE, FREE!!!!!!!!
LOVE that picture...too funny
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.