Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Aftermath: Lessons from Terri Schiavo’s Life and Death
Breakpoint with Charles Colson ^ | April 5, 2005 | Mark Earley

Posted on 04/05/2005 5:42:20 PM PDT by Mr. Silverback

Note: This commentary was delivered by Prison Fellowship President Mark Earley.

While the world’s attention is focused on saying farewell to John Paul II, a great man who died peacefully last weekend, the world is finding no peace in what it has done to Terri Schiavo. The controversy over the decision of judges to starve her to death is not going away anytime soon—and that’s a good thing.

Many commentators are suggesting that the legal fiasco surrounding Terri was foisted on us by Christian zealots. This view is totally untrue.

In fact, the most compelling argument for saving Terri was made, not by a Christian, but by Harriet McBryde Johnson, a disabled lawyer and self-professed atheist.

First, she says, Terri Schiavo was not terminally ill. This case was not about “end-of-life” decision-making; it was about intentionally killing a disabled woman by denying her food and water.

Second, Terri was not on life support. She was simply being fed through a tube. Is this method of feeding fundamentally different from feeding someone with a spoon? As Johnson puts it, “No matter how you answer that, it has nothing to do with whether a person should live or die.”

Third, Terri’s case is not about a patient’s right to refuse medical treatment—not, that is, unless we call eating and drinking “treatment.” If we do, then all of us, every time we eat a meal, are acting to artificially extend our lives.

Fourth, Terri was incapable of making a decision to refuse treatment—and had never made one before. Should someone else be allowed to make decisions for her regarding the simple act of eating and drinking?

Fifth, advocates of killing Terri claim that she was unaware of her situation and thus incapable of suffering. If that’s true, Johnson argues, then her death cannot be justified as “relieving suffering.”

Sixth, Terri left no living will, so her death cannot be justified on the grounds that it’s “what Terri would have wanted.”

Seventh, Terri, like all disabled people, is entitled to statutory protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act. She had the right not to be treated differently because of her disability. For the sake of consistency, would we now have to deny or remove feeding tubes from everyone?

Some good can come out of Terri’s tragedy. I suspect that people will go rushing to get living wills in order not to be put in Terri’s position. I recommend the one found on the National Right to Life Committee’s website. Terri’s murder might also inspire federal legislation to protect the rights of future Terri Schiavo’s—to ensure that lives are not snuffed out because they are inconvenient, because the spouse wants to inherit money, or for any other arbitrary reason. Congress should pass a Terri Schiavo law that would guarantee that the rights of the disabled, who, as Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) put it, “live in the shadows,” would be protected.

Life is precious; it is made in God’s image. The modern utilitarian notion that someone’s worth should be judged by what he or she can contribute to society is an abomination.

Thank you, Terri, for awakening us to the duty before us: defending human dignity and the sanctity of all human life.


TOPICS: Constitution/Conservatism; Crime/Corruption; Culture/Society; Editorial; Government; News/Current Events; Philosophy; US: Florida; US: South Carolina
KEYWORDS: breakpoint; flamebaiters; mourninginamerica; terrischiavo
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-56 next last
If anyone wants on or off my Chuck Colson/BreakPoint Ping List, please notify me here or by freepmail.
1 posted on 04/05/2005 5:42:21 PM PDT by Mr. Silverback
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: agenda_express; almcbean; ambrose; AnalogReigns; Annie03; applemac_g4; Aria; BA63; banjo joe; ...

BreakPoint/Chuck Colson Ping!

If anyone wants on or off my Chuck Colson/BreakPoint Ping List, please notify me here or by freepmail.

2 posted on 04/05/2005 5:42:46 PM PDT by Mr. Silverback (Karol Wojtyla, my brother, thank you for being you. Rest in Joy.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: 2nd amendment mama; A2J; Agitate; Alouette; Annie03; aposiopetic; attagirl; axel f; Balto_Boy; ...

ProLife Ping!

If anyone wants on or off my ProLife Ping List, please notify me here or by freepmail.

3 posted on 04/05/2005 5:43:22 PM PDT by Mr. Silverback (Karol Wojtyla, my brother, thank you for being you. Rest in Joy.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback

The day we need an essay on "why its wrong to starve someone to death" is the day this country has lost its moral compass.


4 posted on 04/05/2005 6:18:06 PM PDT by Raycpa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback
Many commentators are suggesting that the legal fiasco surrounding Terri was foisted on us by Christian zealots. This view is totally untrue

Mr. Colson is correct, the legal fiasco was not foisted on us by Christian zealots, but the legal process was certainly the victim of a hijacking attempt by some of them.

5 posted on 04/05/2005 6:24:00 PM PDT by MACVSOG68
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Raycpa
The day we need an essay on "why its wrong to starve someone to death" is the day this country has lost its moral compass.

Then we'd better get out there and start searching for it, ASAP. Apparently, about 9% of our fellow citizens see nothing wrong with killing a disabled person (recent Zogby poll). That number is way too high for comfort.

6 posted on 04/05/2005 6:26:04 PM PDT by exDemMom (Death is beautiful, to those who hate their own lives.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: exDemMom
The hysterical grasping to this commissioned poll by Zogby, which bore no resemblance to any other poll taken in the country is humorous to watch. I suspect "life news" commissioned it with the questions worded by them so ambiguously as to be meaningless as it relates to the Schiavo case.

No one's buying it.

7 posted on 04/05/2005 6:50:29 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: KDD

The Zogby poll was the only one that asked questions actually relevant to the Schindler case. The ABC poll completely misrepresented the facts--it was what is often called a "push" poll.


8 posted on 04/05/2005 7:00:15 PM PDT by exDemMom (Death is beautiful, to those who hate their own lives.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: KDD

So you'd be in the murder the voice-free camp, I take it?


9 posted on 04/05/2005 7:05:32 PM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: exDemMom

fwiw, I detect no 'hysterical grasping' in your post.


10 posted on 04/05/2005 7:10:56 PM PDT by cyn (it's sarcasm, but jim king really said it.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Raycpa

You got that right ... all except the way she was executed: she was dehydrate to death.


11 posted on 04/05/2005 7:25:28 PM PDT by MHGinTN (If you can read this, you've had life support from someone. Promote life support for others.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: bvw
You're into the state dictated forced feeding of vegatatives?...against their wishes?...keeping a hole through their stomach and into a hole in their intestine that never heals and is always a serious open wound?

Applying such torture to those who do not even having the cognitive ability to acknowledge the person wiping their butt and changing their diaper for 15 years or longer?

And if you agree with the Schwindlers, then you also would have no compunction in chopping off all her limbs and ripping the heart out of her body to replace it with one that would keep that body "alive" or at least breathing. You live that way if that is your choice. You will never impose such sick thinking on me.

There was no murder. Just a judgement that is perfectly reasonable given the fact that a vast majority of people affirm that were they Mrs Schiavo, they would hope the Judge would make the same decision on their behalf.

12 posted on 04/05/2005 7:42:21 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: KDD

Do you water your house plants?


13 posted on 04/05/2005 7:45:40 PM PDT by Raycpa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: exDemMom

The ABC poll was only one of many polls.

And even their(ABC) percentages were only an average 5% off the others.

Google.


14 posted on 04/05/2005 7:52:04 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Raycpa

No


15 posted on 04/05/2005 7:53:49 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: KDD

" those who do not even having the cognitive ability to acknowledge the person wiping their butt"

Sounds quite a bit like what newborns are. Hope I never have to look to you for kindness and/or help.

This lady, though apparently quite disabled, was not dying from anything until they decided to do the Goebels experiment and see how long it would take to dehydrate her. I would not vote for that kind of torture for anyone.


16 posted on 04/05/2005 8:03:03 PM PDT by Western Phil
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback
"Fifth, advocates of killing Terri claim that she was unaware of her situation and thus incapable of suffering. If that’s true, Johnson argues, then her death cannot be justified as “relieving suffering.”

I read that Terri's miserly husband refused to give her dental care or that her teeth be cleaned daily resulting in her having to have 5 decayed teeth removed.

I wonder if the oral surgeon gave Terri a sedative, novocaine, or general anesthesia to remove her teeth?

Or, because they thought she was pvs, removed the teeth without pain medication?

It would be interesting to find out what they did and if it would contradict Schiavo attorney, death loving Felos.

17 posted on 04/05/2005 8:05:40 PM PDT by harpo11 (JC Watts: For some politics navigates faith and others faith navigates politics. Hannity Show 4/4)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: KDD
#1- Wow, you actually call disabled people VEGETATIVES? #2- Now a feeding tube is "torture"? #3- A person must be able to respond in an appreciative manner in order to be taken care of? (If so, I had better cut off all food and water to my 24 and l9 year old sons.) #4- "a vast majority of people affirm that were they Mrs Schiavo, they would hope the Judge would make the same decision on their behalf" is cause to starve and dehydrate a person who never expressed those wishes in the first place? Gee, a vast majority of people wish that Hillary would disappear, wonder if the Judge could make that happen. Please??!!

Reddy
18 posted on 04/05/2005 8:07:27 PM PDT by Reddy (The definition of murder is the intentional killing of a human being.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: KDD

Schwindlers? Wy don't you find another forum to disrupt.


19 posted on 04/05/2005 8:11:46 PM PDT by johnb838 (Blessed Are The Dead, Who Die In The Lord, For They Rest From Their Labors.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Western Phil
Most people considering themselves in such a state before the fact would probably prefer an overdose of medication to starvation.

Few would want to live in such a condition but few would want to die in the way she did either.

20 posted on 04/05/2005 8:15:32 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: johnb838

You wish.


21 posted on 04/05/2005 8:16:59 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback

Terri Schiavo Before dehydration

God Bless you Terri in your hour of death

Let everyone who said your beautiful smile was fake be haunted by it for the rest of their days.

22 posted on 04/05/2005 8:24:13 PM PDT by mjtobias (Our love for Terri was immense; her parents' love was infinite; God's love is everlasting.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: johnb838
The reason the Schwindlers tried to get Michael removed as his wife's guardian was so they could get control of her money.

They would then have followed the Drs' advice and ordered the forced feeding stopped themselves then, and been 2 million richer. Some people have been so gullible in this case. It started over money and spite...in the end only the spite was left.

23 posted on 04/05/2005 8:26:12 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: Raycpa

it is absolutely mind-boggling that this is even debatable.
satan knows his time is short. i urge everyone to make sure that their place for eternity is with the Lord Jesus. Repent and follow Him.


24 posted on 04/05/2005 8:44:00 PM PDT by kingattax
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback
As I write this, my mother-in-law is dying in a hospital of a failing heart and kidneys. Her left foot is septic, and she was told she needed amputation to extend her life for some unknown period of time, but her organs are failing in any case.

She was lucid this morning and discussed the subject with her son, my husband, and her doctor. Her choice is no amputation and sooner death from sepsis rather than later death from heart/kidney failure. Her choice was clear (she already had executed a living will, in any case). There is NO DOUBT at ALL about her clear wishes, and her wishes will be followed. For those who might be concerned about this, she is receiving very effective pain meds.

Terri's case was completely different. She was in no way dying, and her wishes were very unclear with a husband with a huge conflict of interest claiming her wish to die and friends and family claiming otherwise. Terri did not fit any humane model for withholding basic care such as hydration and nutrition. As a matter of fact, my husband is insisting that his mom be kept hydrated till she dies.

I post this to show the clear difference between an appropriate approach to these life-and-death decisions and a horrific one.

25 posted on 04/05/2005 8:56:58 PM PDT by Irene Adler
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: KDD
You're into the state dictated forced feeding of vegatatives?...against their wishes?...keeping a hole through their stomach and into a hole in their intestine that never heals and is always a serious open wound?

Applying such torture to those who do not even having the cognitive ability to acknowledge the person wiping their butt and changing their diaper for 15 years or longer?

How do you apply torture to someone who is cognitively impaired? Unless, of course you know she felt pain, and if she felt pain, or as you called it torture, she wasn't in a persistent vegetative state.

26 posted on 04/05/2005 9:04:17 PM PDT by Victoria Delsoul
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback; 4Godsoloved..Hegave; 8mmMauser; a5478; atruelady; Brad's Gramma; Cayenne; ...

Terri ping! If anyone would like to be added to or removed from my Terri ping list, please let me know by FReepmail!


27 posted on 04/05/2005 9:10:25 PM PDT by Ohioan from Florida (The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.- Edmund Burke)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: KDD
....perfectly reasonable given the fact that a vast majority of people....

The vast majority of people watch television, so what's your point?

28 posted on 04/05/2005 9:13:31 PM PDT by JoJo Gunn (More than two lawyers in any Country constitutes a terrorist organization. ©)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: All
Torture Machine
29 posted on 04/05/2005 9:24:47 PM PDT by paltz (no, really...I'm taking you seriously.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

To: bvw

That was established long before this thread. Now it's just being reconfirmed, for the benefit of anyone who just tuned in, or missed it amid the many posts.


30 posted on 04/05/2005 9:26:50 PM PDT by BykrBayb (Impeach Judge Greer - In memory of Terri Schindler - http://www.terrisfight.org)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: KDD
Please...there is no reason to intentionally slander Ms. Schiavo's family's name...that is uncalled for.
31 posted on 04/05/2005 9:55:46 PM PDT by FBD
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: KDD

There was no murder. Just a judgement that is perfectly reasonable given the fact that a vast majority of people affirm that were they Mrs Schiavo, they would hope the Judge would make the same decision on their behalf.


I just love it when people try to speak for someone else! My brother had a hole in his stomach for a feeding tube. It was healed up just fine. He also had a hole in his throat for a trach which also healed up fine. Last time I saw my brother, we all went fishing and he drove the boat but I suppose to your way of thinking if we had kept his food from him, that wouldn't have been murder.


32 posted on 04/05/2005 10:29:08 PM PDT by beckysueb (God bless America and President Bush.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: KDD

Anyone who can't see the love these people had for their daughter is just blind.


33 posted on 04/05/2005 10:32:21 PM PDT by beckysueb (God bless America and President Bush.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: exDemMom
Then we'd better get out there and start searching for it, ASAP. Apparently, about 9% of our fellow citizens see nothing wrong with killing a disabled person (recent Zogby poll). That number is way too high for comfort.

If the poll question had been "Do you believe George Bush is a member of the Templar Council of Zircon V", there probably would have been a similar number of yes votes. If any polling question yields less than 10% yes, I don't think the exact percentage is likely to be very meaningful.

34 posted on 04/05/2005 10:46:02 PM PDT by supercat ("Though her life has been sold for corrupt men's gold, she refuses to give up the ghost.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: KDD

Your belittling of Terri's surname is revealing of your general character. Even if you wanted to make the case that Terri expressed an abstract wish not to live in an incapacitated condition, to dehydrate and starve her to death is something even you probably wouldn't do to an animal.

Why, in your cluttered mind, do you think she was deserving of such a miserable way to die?


35 posted on 04/05/2005 10:50:24 PM PDT by Zivasmate
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: KDD

KDD,

You wrote: "You're into the state dictated forced feeding of vegatatives?"

One doesn't have to be "into" someone else's problems to acknowledge that person's right to exist. I am not particularly into loudmouths who can't spell "vegetative," "state-dictated" or "forcefeeding," but I wouldn't want them to be exterminated. If we lived under a more dictatorial regime, perhaps people like you would be assigned to recycling on the grounds that they don't yield sufficient return on the state's investment in public education. The examiner's assessment might read: KDD; lazy; undisciplined; culturally minimalistic; empathy-deficient; tolerance-deficient; excessively suggestible; prone to mob-participation; Prognosis: unpromising; Recomm.: terminate.

You wrote: "...against their wishes?"

Ah, you absorbed some soundbites from the popular media. You have to be careful. Very little of what you see or hear between commercials roots in fact. The information about Terri's "wishes" leaves much to be desired. It is based on Michael Schiavo's spontaneous recall (after previously not remembering it for 13 years) that Terri, "sometime in the mid-1980s," had told him that she wouldn't want to be kept alive "by anything artificial." ...And that after watching a hospital-type TV series!

You obviously also swallowed the sham PVS diagnosis given by Dr. Cranford, a guy that makes his living appearing in court and testifying for the party that pays him. This medical prostitute did not administer the MRI and PET scans that are routinely used by neurologist for assessing brain damage. Medical experts are on record saying that their observations of Terri's behavior are inconsistent with signs of PVS.

You wrote: "...keeping a hole through their stomach and into a hole in their intestine that never heals and is always a serious open wound?"

"Keeping a hole through their stomach and into a hole...?" Could you make up your mind, please? Is it "keeping a hole" (whatever that may mean) or "into a hole," and if so, what? You know, it's a bit taxing to follow you sometimes. Anyway, you would presumably also recommend that the 25,000 vets in VA hospitals that have similar holes and open wounds should be expedited into eternity. When done with them, you might put the 2,000,000 regular folks that are in hospitals with holes and open wounds out of their misery too, right? But of course you'd make sure first to have Dr. Cranford do the rounds and tell you they're all vegetative.

You wrote: "Applying such torture to those who do not even having the cognitive ability to acknowledge the person wiping their butt and changing their diaper for 15 years or longer?"

"Do not even having?" You are really pushing grammatical ineptitude to the limits here, KDD. By the way, where did you pick up the impressive term "cognitive ability?" Is that something you researched? It would be interesting to learn which people told you that they had not been acknowledged by Terri, or is this just something that popped into your brain out of nowhere? Does it happen a lot to you? I've read affidavits from nurses saying that Terri was quite graceful in acknowledging them. Are you possibly just parroting again?

You wrote: "And if you agree with the Schwindlers,...

Ah yes, the Schwindlers. They must be the people who devoted their entire lives, their retirement money and every available resource to protecting their daughter's and sister's life for all of fifteen years. Some swindle! You know what, KDD? I'm not sure whether you're worth the energy it takes my fingers to hit the keys. You're a despicable, bigoted, worthless excuse for a human being. I am probably hundreds of miles away from you and yet your reek sickens me. I'm afraid your moral necrosis has progressed too far. I'll skip trying to rehabilitate your opinion and go throw up instead.


36 posted on 04/05/2005 11:00:04 PM PDT by terrasol (The fool is not who does not know, but who gives up a chance to grow.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: terrasol
Well I'm happy for you that I don't provoke the apathy in you that I feel for you and your juvenile self righteous rant.
37 posted on 04/05/2005 11:19:36 PM PDT by KDD (just the facts please)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: terrasol

Speaking of Schwindlers, reminds me of that saying something about casting your pearls before schwine. ;-)


38 posted on 04/05/2005 11:59:58 PM PDT by Scarlet7
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: Western Phil

Josef Goebbels was only the propaganda chief of the Nazis, the "Reichsfuehrer SS" on whose command such and similar experiments were performed on helpless concentration camp inmates and POW's, was the one responsible. However, it were physicians who tortured these helpless human beings to death. Though it was against the oath of Hippocrates, Hitler was considered to stand above this oath. And did not physicians pull the tube in the Felos'-owned "humane-death-institute"? Once again acting on orders from "above" - formerly on Himmler's/Hitler's, this time on a modern-time Himmler's decision- on Greer's.
By the way, who represented Hitler's position in this case?


39 posted on 04/06/2005 12:11:29 AM PDT by Karijotas (May I have your comments?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: KDD

"Just a judgement that is perfectly reasonable given "

Get Real. This was murder. She wasnt sick. This was a crime against a disabled person. More neurologists
agreed she was NOT in a PVS, that makes this HORRIFIC. It was the Hemlock Society Neuroligist. What a freakin monster he is. She wasnt even given a chance, shut away in a room with no light for years at her loving husbands COMMAND. GIVE ME A BREAK!!
She wasn't even given the lastest tests for a PVS because it was not published at the time of their examinations.
Who are you to say that a life is not worth living? Her parents were there and they chose life, they knew her better and loved her unconditionally. Her husband was is a monster.
I can't stand how you must think. What about folks who loose the feeling in the legs and have to wear diapers? Paraplegics, Quads, are you saying their lives are not worth living OR are you really saying that it is YOU who would not find life worth living and therefore everyone must think as you do? Well, to insure that this doesn't happen to you, check the laws in your state.Some States don't accept Living Wills, but a Medical Power of Attorney. And FYI, a majority of the people did NOT agree it was ok to Starve Terri to death. The one crumb of kindness shown to the parents from that awful Judge is ordering the disgusting piece of crap of a husband, to let them know where their OWN DAUGHTER is buried. I cant wait to see CBS rendition of this, poor adulterous husband. Makes me sick.
Speaking of bags or tubes, what about the folks who have a closotomy?? They should die too? Incredible!!


40 posted on 04/06/2005 12:27:41 AM PDT by Gimme
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: KDD

"so they could get control of her money."

First they wanted their daughter to be around people who loved her and wanted the best for her. Not shut away to in a dark room for YEARS.


41 posted on 04/06/2005 12:54:51 AM PDT by Gimme
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: KDD

> The reason the Schwindlers tried to get Michael removed as his wife's guardian was so they could get control of her money.

Your statement shows your abysmal level of knowledge about much of the legal history of Terri's tragic situation.

Some years back HINO offered to transfer Terri's malpractice award to the Schindlers, but in return they would have to consent to withdrawal of her G-tube and death. They refused.

More recently, in a last ditch attempt to save Terri's life, the Schindlers offered to HINO that he could keep all remaining monies in her rehabilitation account, any monies for future book, film and movie offers and rights, and also that they would not pursue any future legal actions concerning the years he prevented any rehabilitation therapy for Terri, if only he'd transfer guardianship control over Terri to either the parents or son Bobby. HINO refused the offer.

So who's the real money-grubbing character in this horrific tragedy? It ain't the Schindlers.

> It started over money and spite...in the end only the spite was left.

Yeah. All HINO's.


42 posted on 04/06/2005 2:10:30 AM PDT by l.tecolote (doing what I can from California)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: Irene Adler

I agree with you. Your mother made her wishes known -- and they were not to die (directly) but to directly refuse a specfic treatment. That same logic would, imo, apply even to those who wished tyo starve themselves to teh point of death. With each hour such a person refuses -- directly, clearly and him or herself, not through proxy or prior contract -- refuses to eat. Food is offered, and they refuse it.


43 posted on 04/06/2005 3:45:22 AM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

To: beckysueb

So, beckysueb, if a vast majority of 28 year-old people affirm that they'd rather die than be bald, the police should reasonably be commanded to shoot to kill any Kojaks amoungst us?


44 posted on 04/06/2005 3:48:52 AM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: beckysueb

My apologies! I see I misunderstood and misread your post. You were quoting KDD about his evil assertion of "resoanble" murder. Please forgive my too quick read and too quick response!


45 posted on 04/06/2005 3:55:04 AM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

To: bvw

And even then the person should be encouraged to eat -- and in cases where one is dealing with situations of stubborness rather tthan impairment and near-death -- force fed.


46 posted on 04/06/2005 3:57:24 AM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: KDD
I suspect "life news" commissioned it with the questions worded by them so ambiguously as to be meaningless as it relates to the Schiavo case. ... No one's buying it.

It would be fun to compare the poll wording from the various sources. IIRC, the ABC and CBS polls began with the premise that the patient was brain dead and on life support, or the legally false premise that somebody other than the patient gets to choose (e.g., "Who would you rather have make life or death medical decisions for you, your spouse or your parents?"). Some of the exact wording of the Zogby poll questions is below, for your convenience.

Misleading the public, and forming public opinion (and somewaht, public policy) with polls and fake memos is not healthy for freedom.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1375888/posts <-- Link

"If a disabled person is not terminally ill, not in a coma, and not being kept alive on life support, and they have no written directive, should or should they not be denied food and water," the poll asked.

"When there is conflicting evidence on whether or not a patient would want to be on a feeding tube, should elected officials order that a feeding tube be removed or should they order that it remain in place," respondents were asked.

Some 18 percent said the feeding tube should be removed and 42 percent said it should remain in place.

When asked directly about Terri's case and told the her estranged husband Michael "has had a girlfriend for 10 years and has two children with her" 56 percent of Americans believed guardianship should have been turned over to Terri's parents while 37 percent disagreed.


47 posted on 04/06/2005 3:58:13 AM PDT by Cboldt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: KDD
Just a judgement that is perfectly reasonable given the fact that a vast majority of people affirm that were they Mrs Schiavo, they would hope the Judge would make the same decision on their behalf.

Please provide a citation for that proposition.

48 posted on 04/06/2005 3:59:37 AM PDT by Cboldt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: supercat
If the poll question had been "Do you believe George Bush is a member of the Templar Council of Zircon V", there probably would have been a similar number of yes votes.

What? Do you mean he's not? Can I call the polling company back and change my response?

Seriously, why would there be a given of ~10% answers going against the majority answer? Is it because people aren't listening to the questions, they're playing jokes, or what?

(How many sentences ending with a question mark can I fit into one post, anyway?)

49 posted on 04/06/2005 4:10:11 AM PDT by exDemMom (Death is beautiful, to those who hate their own lives.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

To: Mr. Silverback
Thank you, Terri, for awakening us to the duty before us: defending human dignity and the sanctity of all human life.

****************

Amen. I hope some good comes of this tragedy, in the form of laws that will protect others from experiencing what Terri did. I also hope and pray that some day those who can't now understand the cruelty and callousness of what was done, will be able to finally comprehend it.

50 posted on 04/06/2005 10:20:10 AM PDT by trisham
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-56 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson