Skip to comments.Diner put cockroach in mouth
Posted on 04/13/2005 6:58:53 AM PDT by Red Badger
A diner at a restaurant in Germany has been awarded almost £700 compensation after he put a live cockroach in his mouth.
The man was at a Chinese restaurant in Rastatt when he stuck his hand into a bowl of peanuts.
He put a handful of peanuts, including the cockroach, into his mouth and started munching before he realised.
Health food inspectors who were called out to the restaurant found the kitchen was infested with cockroaches and ordered the property to be closed until it could be fumigated.
A court in Rastatt ordered the owner of the restaurant to pay 1000 euros as compensation to the unlucky diner.
The man told the court he had not been able to eat peanuts since the incident in November 2003.
Hey in some parts of the world, it's considered a delicacy.
So What? Barney Frank puts just half of one in his and does not sue anyone.
That's just WROOOOOOOONNNG!!
It was just an innocent cockroach. How dare they fumigate!
:) Denote sarcasm.
1000 euros isn't that much, is it?
That happened here, somebody would get a ridiculous amount.
He should of sued in U.S. court, could have made a whole bunch more money!
If I was his attorney, I'd used that argument. But then again, I'm not a lawyer.
It's just extra protein.
Anyway we ALL eat insects all the time in processed foods, and we are supposed to accidently swallow a couple of small spiders every year when sleeping.
Have you ever noticed a spider at night and never saw it again? Yum! :-)
1000 euros = approx $1250-1300........
I used to live in a place where cockroaches could easly live and infest your car. It was early morning before work and I was reading my Bible. I picked up a little plastic jug of Sunny Delight and took a drink. There was something in my mouth which I thought was pulp. I bit it and it crunched. I spit it our to find it was a cockroach I just bit. Haven't touched Sunny Delight ever since.
The restaurant should have charged him for the "side order".
Man, I'm beginning to wonder where these people are eating. Perhaps they should be a bit more careful in their choices. Yipes.
This diner must have recently watched a 'Rockford Files' rerun. That's similar to the kind of thing Angel did to go around town getting free meals.
Wonder how many diners ended up eating cockroach without knowing it?
I'd guess some of the roaches probably ended up in the Chow Mein. They add that special something to any dish.
"This diner must have recently watched a 'Rockford Files' rerun. That's similar to the kind of thing Angel did to go around town getting free meals."
Julie Andrews did the same thing in "Victor, Victoria" to get a free meal. (And I think it was in a German restaurant!)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.