Skip to comments.Man found dead in cemetery
Posted on 04/13/2005 10:34:36 AM PDT by hoosierboy
Police say the 40-year-old electrician was shot. Officers are asking for the public's help.
Michigan City police early Tuesday morning responded to a call from a concerned citizen who found a person lying in a grassy area near the entrance to Greenwood Cemetery.
Sgt. Larry Litchford said the call came about 6:40 a.m. He said officers responding to the call found the body of Philip Lanier, 40, 811 York St., in an area near the front entrance of the cem
etery on Tilden Avenue.
Litchford said Lanier suffered a gunshot wound "to his body inflicted by an unknown suspect sometime late Monday night or early Tuesday morning."
Police would not say if Lanier had been shot at the cemetery or if he had been shot someplace else and his body dumped there. Litchford said police have no suspects or motive for the killing.
Police said Lanier was a family man with a wife and two children and that he had been an electrician working for a firm in Valparaiso.
"At this point in the investigation we are at a loss for a motive for this shooting," Litchford said, adding that Lanier had no police record of any kind, including traffic violations.
Litchford said police believe Lanier's wife heard her husband around 10:30 p.m. She said she went to bed early because she was not feeling well, but thinking she heard her husband entering the house, went back to sleep.
Upon waking up Tuesday morning, she discovered her husband was not home and did not know where he was until told of the discovery of his body by police.
While the police continue to talk to Lanier's family and friends, they have asked the public for help. Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Detective Anthony McClintock at 873-1468, Ext. 341, during office hours or at 874-3221 after hours.
Talk about cutting out the middleman.
Well, he didn't have far to go, now did he?
So he was dying to get in!
There was this joke about a plane that crashed into a cemetary in Poland...
Aren't they all dead?
I don't think this is an isolated killing -- if the police looked hard enough, I bet they'd find more bodies.
The worst part was when the Washington DC Park Police showed up to dig around for information they founds HUNDREDS of dead bodies.....This promises to be a long investigation
"Police would not say if Lanier had been shot at the cemetery or if he had been shot someplace else and his body dumped there."
Caption Obvious to the rescue!
In a similar story, Arafat is still dead.
Talk about an obvious headline!
Keep digging, detective, the cadaver dogs keep getting hits all over the place!
Can this story BE any more shocking?
I found the title humorous too, but after reading the article it saddened me for the guy had two children. I hope they do not stumble across this thread with a bunch of conservatives getting a good laugh out of their father's death.
60 Actual Newspaper Headlines, Collected by Real Journalists
1. Something Went Wrong In Jet Crash, Expert Says
2. Police Begin Campaign To Run Down Jaywalkers
3. Safety Experts Say School Bus Passengers Should Be Belted
4. Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case
5. Survivor Of Siamese Twins Joins Parents
6. Farmer Bill Dies In House
7. Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
8. Is There A Ring Of Debris Around Uranus?
9. Stud Tires Out
10. Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
11. Panda Mating Fails: Veterinarian Takes Over
12. Soviet Virgin Lands Short of Goal Again
13. British Left Waffles On Falkland Islands
14. Lung Cancer In Women Mushrooms
15. Eye Drops Off Shelf
16. Teacher Strikes Idle Kids
17. Reagan Wins On Budget, But More Lies Ahead
18. Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim
19. Shot Off Women+s Leg Helps Nicklaus to 66
20. Enraged Cow Injures Farmer With Ax
21. Plane Too Close To Ground, Crash Probe Told
22. Miners Refuse To Work After Death
23. Juvenile Court To Try Shooting Defendant
24. Stolen Painting Found By Tree
25. Two Soviet Ships Collide, One Dies
26. Two Sisters Reunited After 18 Years In Checkout Counter
27. Killer Sentenced To Die For Second Time In Ten Years
28. Never Withhold Herpes Infection From Loved One
29. Drunken Drivers Paid $1,000 in 1984
30. War Dims Hope For Peace
31. If Strike Isn+t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
32. Cold Wave Linked To Temperatures
33. Enfields Couple Slain; Police Suspects Homicide
34. Red Tape Hold Up New Bridge
35. Deer Kill 17,00
36 Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
37. Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge
38. New Study On Obesity Looks For Larger Test Group
39. Astronaut Takes Blame For Gas In Spacecraft
40. Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
41. Chef Throws His Heart Into Helping Needy
42. Arson Suspect Is Held In Massachusetts Fire
43. British Union Finds Dwarves In Short Supply
44. Ban On Soliciting Dead in Trotwood
45. Lansing Residents Can Drop Off Trees
46. Local High School Dropouts Cut In Half
47. New Vaccine May Contain Rabies
48. Man Minus Ear Waives Hearing
49. Deaf College Opens Door To Hearing
50. Air Head Fired
51. Steals Clock, Faces Time
52. Prosecutor Releases Probe Into Undersheriff
53. Old School Pillars Are Replaced By Alumni
54. Bank Drive-In Window Blocked By Board
55. Hospitals Are Sued By 7 Foot Doctors
56. Some Pieces Of Rock Hudson Sold At Auction
57. Sex Education Delayed, Teachers Request Training
58. Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
59. Police Discovered Pot Plants Were Really Cannabis
60. Headless Body Found In Topless Bar
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.