Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

British Lawmaker Lashes Out at Senators
AP via Yahoo! ^ | May 17, 2005 | KEN GUGGENHEIM

Posted on 05/17/2005 1:27:30 PM PDT by Brilliant

click here to read article


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-139 last
To: cyncooper

Go on give me the proof you have been trumpeting? I sure wish I had it and so does the UK's Attorney-General and your Senators.

Go on surely you will enjoy showing me precisely what the proof is that he took vouchers from Saddam?


101 posted on 05/17/2005 4:01:35 PM PDT by cooper72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 100 | View Replies]

To: Shermy
They didn't ask him if he knew any person or entity that received funds.

Yes, he was asked in particular about his associate Fawaz Zuriekat. Galloway said he knew Zuriekat had much business in Iraq but Galloway claimed he didn't know anything about oil.

102 posted on 05/17/2005 4:02:04 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 52 | View Replies]

To: Shermy

The Senators didn't invite Galloway.

They released some documentation last week to which Galloway's reaction was to race over here and appear.

I thought the Senators did very well, indeed, and really had no wish to keep him around too long so got some things out of him and sent him on his way.

It is clear Galloway's bluster did not trump the hard cold facts the Committee is in possession of.


103 posted on 05/17/2005 4:05:03 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies]

To: Betaille
"I just feel that the committee was very hands-off considering how insulting this guy was and how overwhelming the Senators evidence is"

He probably has evidence on some of them. There were at least 2 that went over to iraq before the war to meet with sadam.

104 posted on 05/17/2005 4:05:40 PM PDT by monkeywrench (http://ciudadano.presidencia.gob.mx/peticion/peticion.htm -Tell Vicente)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 91 | View Replies]

To: cooper72

"You can call a man a "brutal dictator" and still do nothing to remove him-- and indeed obstruct his removal. What does this make YOU?
Me?"

Not You-- what does it make Galloway? He's the one we're talking about. Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Also, you seem to profess hatred for Galloway yet in the same breath defend him. That's why I said you seem to be spoiling for a fight-- don't know why that necessitates "growing up " on my account.

Why don't you just speak plainly instead of condemning and supporting in the same breath-- as I might add your anti-hero Galloway seems to be so adept at.


105 posted on 05/17/2005 4:06:30 PM PDT by agooga (The Kyoto Protocol will lower global temperature by .07 degrees.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 82 | View Replies]

To: cyncooper
They didn't ask him if he knew any person or entity that received funds. Yes, he was asked in particular about his associate Fawaz Zuriekat. Galloway said he knew Zuriekat had much business in Iraq but Galloway claimed he didn't know anything about oil.

You are totally missing the point of the hearing. Did you not hear Galloway tell the Senators that HE told people Zuriekat not only had oli dealings in Iraq but "more than that" that he had ten times more dodgy business other than oil.

The point of the hearing was that NO-ONE has proof that Galloway took any illegal money, not that he had dodgy friends.

106 posted on 05/17/2005 4:06:55 PM PDT by cooper72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 102 | View Replies]

To: Brilliant

George Galloway is the new "Lord Haw-Haw" propaganda broadcaster. He makes me sick.



107 posted on 05/17/2005 4:07:07 PM PDT by FreeRep
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Shermy
MU "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength and your indefatigability"

BTW, Coleman did read that into the record. He did note Galloway has since modified his remarks, but he read the whole sickening letter.

108 posted on 05/17/2005 4:07:21 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

To: cooper72

Gotta leave.

Believe me, I wish I didn't have to.

The evidence was entered into the record. Your preferring to ignore that is telling.

Toodles


109 posted on 05/17/2005 4:08:16 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 101 | View Replies]

To: cyncooper

"Yes, he was asked in particular about his associate Fawaz Zuriekat."

I didn't hear them ask - do you have ANY business with him? etc.


110 posted on 05/17/2005 4:09:25 PM PDT by Shermy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 102 | View Replies]

To: cooper72
You are totally missing the point of the hearing.

No, I'm not, but you are.

Of course I heard Galloway. LOL

Now I really need to leave. Darn

111 posted on 05/17/2005 4:10:15 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

To: agooga
Also, you seem to profess hatred for Galloway yet in the same breath defend him. That's why I said you seem to be spoiling for a fight-- don't know why that necessitates "growing up " on my account.

Galloway should be condemned for what he does wrong, not for what he didn't do wrong.

The whole point of the hearing was not that he had some dodgy friends, or met Saddam or had a crappy tan, but that the senate said he had taken oil-for-food vouchers. He said he hadn't and in fact the Senators had no proof of that.

That was the whole point of the hearing - nothing more.

112 posted on 05/17/2005 4:10:47 PM PDT by cooper72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 105 | View Replies]

To: cyncooper
Gotta leave. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to. The evidence was entered into the record. Your preferring to ignore that is telling. Toodles

You would delight in giving me proof of Galloway taking oil-for-food vouchers if you had it.

113 posted on 05/17/2005 4:12:47 PM PDT by cooper72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 109 | View Replies]

To: cyncooper
What charges, you mean a pubbie wimp is going to press charges I think not.

They just roll up into a fetal position.

114 posted on 05/17/2005 4:20:27 PM PDT by dts32041 (Two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence Grizzly bear and violate.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 81 | View Replies]

To: cooper72

"Galloway should be condemned for what he does wrong, not for what he didn't do wrong.

The whole point of the hearing was not that he had some dodgy friends, or met Saddam or had a crappy tan, but that the senate said he had taken oil-for-food vouchers. He said he hadn't and in fact the Senators had no proof of that.

That was the whole point of the hearing - nothing more."

Okay-- in this we are in agreement and I am not hearing double messages.

And to simply restate my belief: I don't think anyone has presented evidence that will convict Galloway of anything, but that doesn't mean his support of Saddam (even while "condemning" him as a brutal dictator) is not despicable.

BTW: "condemning" while obstructing and supporting makes him a two-faced POS, just in case you were wondering.


115 posted on 05/17/2005 4:23:34 PM PDT by agooga (The Kyoto Protocol will lower global temperature by .07 degrees.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 112 | View Replies]

To: agooga
And to simply restate my belief: I don't think anyone has presented evidence that will convict Galloway of anything, but that doesn't mean his support of Saddam (even while "condemning" him as a brutal dictator) is not despicable.

Who said Galloway wasn't a despicable person?

BTW: "condemning" while obstructing and supporting makes him a two-faced POS, just in case you were wondering.

You can be against someone without willing to tell lies and acting like a zealot. To me that just makes you as bad as him. I will still be condemning Galloway when you have forgotten his name, just as I did when you didn't know his name.

116 posted on 05/17/2005 4:27:57 PM PDT by cooper72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 115 | View Replies]

To: cooper72

Tue May 17 18:25:47 2005
Hissy Chrissy has Galloway on HardBoiled....

>> Your response.

>> To be accused of a lack of moral character by senator norm coleman is like being told to sit up straight by the hunchback of notre dame. This is a guy who damned me around the world without ever asking me a single question. Without ever meeting me, writing to me, telephoning me. Without even telling me that he was investigating me. And you heard his answer there.

>> He would not answer a particular question about whether you benefitted personly. He did accuse you of benefitting indirectly because a friend of yours gave some money to a charity.

>> This is the $64,000 question. His only answer, when you asked him if i had benefited personly, was to say I must have done it because other people benefited personally. That's simply guilt by association. That's tactics that senator joe mccardsy would be proud of. I'm telling you. I have never benefited by one thing -- one thin dime. I have never bought or sole anything from iraq, to iraq, we emblazoned the support of the man he was talking about as the chairman of our campaign. Throughout all of our literature, long before the war, long before norman coleman was ever held off, we were telling people that we have three been factors. One is the king of the united arab emirates. The other is the crown prince of saudi arabia. The third is this businessman who does big business in iraq. No secret about it. Now if you say to me, it's not right to take money for political campaign from kings and businessmen. You might be right about that. Though I doubt if norman coleman is in much of a position to throw stones about that. But i personally benefited not one thin dime.

>> The charity you care about benefit?

>> It's an charity. It was a political campaign to lift sanctions on iraq. And of course owe glow did that campaign benefit from the vouchers that the saudi arabian government -- rather, did the government of saddam hussein was handing out?

>> Well, i didn't ask the king of the you about I'd arab emirates where he god the money.

>> Did you ask the other man?

>> I didn'T.

>> So you don't know.

>> Let me finish this point. I openly acknowledged at the time during and since, that he was a businessman doing business with iraq in the oil for food program. Now that was a legal trade. He was making some of the money that he made from his whole business empire available to our compaign. I'm glad he did. I'm glad that the crown prince of arabia did.

>> Why is your name on these documents?

>> Anyone can write anyone's name on a piece of paper. But if I had actually lifted oil, bought it, sold it, personally enriched myself, coleman would have been able to answer your question. And he wasn't able to answer your question.

>> Because you didn't make a thin dime.

>> Not one thin dime.

>> Why is he going after you?

>> Because he is the most pro war, pro israel, neo con hawk on the hill.

>> Why is he going after you?

>> I'm coming to that. There's a lot of competition for that title. A lot of competition for that title. And he is smearing the smoke screen. Kofi annan whose dismissal he demanded. Me. President chirac. Anybody that stood against the united states policy on the war, partly for reveferk and partly because it is a useful diversion. That you and I are talking now about this instead of talking about the big disaster that people like norman coleman has taken the whole world into.

>> Iraq.

>> Iraq.

>> Thank you very much. Back with


117 posted on 05/17/2005 4:29:55 PM PDT by GRRRRR (Hillary is the most dangerous person in America and the RINO's haven't a clue...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 116 | View Replies]

To: GRRRRR
How'd you do that?

Reading what I just heard, not 2 minutes ago confirms my suspiscions...Galloway is a slicker than snot con man.

118 posted on 05/17/2005 4:32:41 PM PDT by YaYa123 (@Great Reporting.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 117 | View Replies]

To: GRRRRR

But I'm not watching the rest of Hardball. Matthews drooling all over Queen Noor is just too icky!


119 posted on 05/17/2005 4:35:00 PM PDT by YaYa123 (@Don't Wanna Go There.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 117 | View Replies]

To: YaYa123

Fastest fingers in FREEPERLAND!!....



No, just kidding...my video card has a TV tuner and I can capture the closed caption feed with a nifty software item in the multimedia package. ATI Radeon 9600XT...see it at ATI.com

G


120 posted on 05/17/2005 4:36:39 PM PDT by GRRRRR (Hillary is the most dangerous person in America and the RINO's haven't a clue...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 118 | View Replies]

To: YaYa123

121 posted on 05/17/2005 4:38:40 PM PDT by GRRRRR (Hillary is the most dangerous person in America and the RINO's haven't a clue...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 119 | View Replies]

To: GRRRRR
Amazing!!! Pleeze ping me when you do dat agin...I LIKE IT!!!
122 posted on 05/17/2005 4:39:25 PM PDT by YaYa123 (@I Wish I Weren't Such A Ditz.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 120 | View Replies]

To: cooper72

Just as I seem ( to you) to be inferring that you don't despise Galloway, you seem to be implying that I seek to frame him-- Both counts are untrue.

Let the evidence tell us the truth.

I AGREE with you. And, honestly I don't care if we find he was on the take or not-- what does that ultimately prove? That only bribed agents of Saddam can have an anti-war, appeasing, anti-western point of view?

If that were true we wouldn't have the millions of moronic appeasers biting at our asses on a continual basis.

No, it is entirely possible to come to this brain-sick point of view all on one's own-- with no help from Saddam.


123 posted on 05/17/2005 4:39:25 PM PDT by agooga (The Kyoto Protocol will lower global temperature by .07 degrees.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 116 | View Replies]

To: agooga

Whatever Galloway's motives are they are definitely complex.

I used to think Saddam was giving him money but if he did surely there would be lots of proof, and I thought he would go out of the limelight so no-one could get him.

However with Saddam now having NO power and obviously no money he has went MORE high-profile. Even though his political views are the opposite of mine, I strongly bellieve he does actually believe them strongly. That doesn't make them valid, but it does change things. He has always been hard-left.

In his younger days he walked side-by-side with IRA members, for that I have always despised him.


124 posted on 05/17/2005 4:47:24 PM PDT by cooper72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 123 | View Replies]

To: cyncooper

"Galloway was outright baiting him and Coleman didn't bite."

He didn't challenge Galloway on any of his lies. It's unbelievable to me that Galloway got so few questions after, considering there was overwhelming evidence given against him in the beginning and Galloway refuted pretty much all of it. The only one who even challenged him on his attitude was Levin (D-MI), and even he didn't bring any substantive questions to bear, he only asked for his opinion on a matter that he isn't being charged for.


125 posted on 05/17/2005 6:20:01 PM PDT by Betaille (Harry Potter is a Right-Winger)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 84 | View Replies]

To: Betaille
He didn't challenge Galloway on any of his lies.

He did.

Frankly, I read no further in your post after that part.

126 posted on 05/17/2005 6:36:45 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 125 | View Replies]

To: Betaille

Man, does that guy ever hate America or what? He was elected on an angry anti-American platform.


127 posted on 05/17/2005 6:47:45 PM PDT by Lord Nelson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: cooper72
The point of the hearing was

To grant Galloway the appearance he wanted.

He got it.

That and the laying out of evidence by the first panel.

But the Committee did not call Galloway so the point was not to wage their case right here and right now. And Galloway failed miserably in the fact department as time will tell.

128 posted on 05/17/2005 7:01:16 PM PDT by cyncooper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 106 | View Replies]

To: cooper72

He's smart alright and obviously used front men and the charity to disguise the money.

Yr right he is hard left, but loves money, so far no-one has caught his fingers in the till and he is known to have had some very nasty people around him, when he was an MP in Glasgow. But he may have gone too far this time, by playing on a world stage, local thuggery is no match, against what he is facing now.

I thought todays hearing was a set up and he walked straight into it.


129 posted on 05/17/2005 7:04:38 PM PDT by crazycat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 124 | View Replies]

To: cyncooper

No, he didn't. I watched the entire testimony. Coleman read the charges as though he was a beauracrat that had no stake in the matter (half asleep). After Galloway's diatribe he asked shockingly unfocused questions. It's being described as "A knockout". Believe me I want to see Galloway in prison, but this hearing was so one-sided and looked so bad for Senator Coleman, it will now be politically different to bring charges against Galloway. Also, as a jew I am a bit disturbed that he was never rebuked for his anti-semitic references.


130 posted on 05/17/2005 7:25:41 PM PDT by Betaille (Harry Potter is a Right-Winger)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 126 | View Replies]

To: Betaille

"politically different"

I meant politically difficult. sorry, I'm a bit tired.


131 posted on 05/17/2005 7:26:46 PM PDT by Betaille (Harry Potter is a Right-Winger)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 130 | View Replies]

Comment #132 Removed by Moderator

To: gopwinsin04

It would be lovely if your people did nail him for perjury. I can guarantee that Blair will not object...in fact, he will smiling. Please do force a by-election at Bethnal Green and Bow.

Regards, Ivan


133 posted on 05/17/2005 11:01:52 PM PDT by MadIvan (You underestimate the power of the Dark Side - http://www.sithorder.com/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: cooper72
He has also denied this as well. In fact the whole point of saying that he had never bought, sold, seen oil...etc is that he could only do it with vouchers.

I don't know the man, and I certainly haven't reviewed the evidence against him nor am I competent to evaluate it's authenticity.

But just academically, if you had a gift certificate for a $25 steak dinner at Texas Roadhouse, and I bought the gift certificate from you for $10, could you not say "I haven't sold one ounce of steak, and nobody bought one ounce of steak from me."?

134 posted on 05/18/2005 9:18:36 AM PDT by Yo-Yo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: Brilliant
Yup, if they've got the goods on him. Course, if the "info" came from the same guys who told us there were WMDs in Iraq, I would not make assumptions.

Of course- the people of Halabja were killed by baseball bats... it just looked like a chemical attack.

Those mobile labs were for making balloons for children's parties at baghdad area Burger Kings. You know, the ones former UNSCOM inspector Scott Ritter liked to go to.

All those Iraqi scientists were really engaged in rose gardening.

The high tolerance aluminum parts in Libya before they opted for maraging steel were originally intended for centrifuges for enriching uranium as we've now established- but in Iraq they were only for making ridiculously expensive small rockets.

Every chemical factory should have a missile as a mascot.

There's no reason to be suspicious when purchases are made through front companies, after all.

The Iraqi long-range missile program was intended to develop peace bombs for delivering pamphlets, laughing gas and candy.

The pesticides stored at military sites weren't precursors or degraded chemical weapons- Iraq just had 10 foot tall killer roaches living in their military barracks.

The contaminants in the river was just fish sweat.

Those new digs at al Tuwaitha that UNSCOM failed to find were for storing potatoes. OK, so what if the potato idea doesn't work very well when the facilities are flooded- some day you might be able to dive down there and see all those soggy French fries.

Iraq really needed to import Niger peas and goats. It was a craving.

Iraq bribed presstitutes, politicians and so on because of Hussein's generosity, not necessity.

Iraq needed ring magnets to make toys for kids.

Iraq needed bulk packaged agar to make beer.

Iraq needed all that aerosil/cabosil to make huge quantities of skin lotion for the notoriously dry cracked skin of Bedoin tribesmen, and as filler in making trophy fish replicas out of fiberglass. Nevermind we haven't found these copious quantities of consumer goods they were making with all these dual-use materials.

Some Iraqi scientists fled to Syria and Europe just before the war because they were afraid the US would ask them about their copyrighted cutting edge research into *gasp* wheat germ.

All those hollow shells were really stylish vases for holding flowers.

Sudan? Where's that?

The binary chemical shell circa 1996 that was part of a failed bombing of US troops was just a one-of-a-kind protoype carried into Iraq by an African swallow - there are no more shells to be had, not even if you take a look in the Bekaa Valley.

Saddam Hussein learned his lesson and would never reconstitute full scale weapons programs if sanctions were lifted.

</sarcasm>

135 posted on 05/19/2005 11:57:33 PM PDT by piasa (Attitude Adjustments Offered Here Free of Charge)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: cooper72
I predict an old investigation and Galloway's past will grow centipede's legs. In other words the crap coming Galloway's [and the UN's] way is going to 'snowball,' as we say. But fear not, Saddam has to be tried first. Here, a blast from the past:

... John Sweeney, a journalist working for BBC Five Live, unearthed the fact that an Arab from whom Mr Galloway received thousands of pounds in cash for expenses in the 1990s was the same man who was named in an American court as the purchaser of a satellite telephone used by al-Qa'eda in Afghanistan.
Five years ago, Mr Galloway was investigated by the Commons Standards and Privileges Committee over his financial relationship with Saad Al Fagih, a London based dissident Saudi politician. During the inquiry Mr Galloway identified more than £5,000-worth of items on his credit card bill that had been paid by Mr Fagih.
He said that all were out-of-pocket expenses. He also said that he had been given £1,800 to hand over to foreign nationals living in political exile in Britain, but refused to say who they were.
------- "100 MPs back protest over strikes on Iraq," By Andy McSmith, Chief Political Correspondent, UK Telegraph, (Filed: 15/03/2002)March 15, 2002

Galloway is just one terrorist collaborator among many.

136 posted on 05/20/2005 12:08:25 AM PDT by piasa (Attitude Adjustments Offered Here Free of Charge)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: Fedora; cyncooper
Letter to Dr Saad Al-Fagih from Mr George Galloway MP

Eid Mubarak to you, Bro Mohammed and all the strugglers of the democratic Saudi opposition.

I had a visit today from the PR people - John and Patricia. It seems they have some ambitious plans for the future. I just wanted you to know that their plans are theirs alone.

I should prefer to deal directly with you; either on my own proposals or any others you have.

I hope you all enjoy the feast; and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Allah Makh.

N.B. + new EDM 1284.
11 May 1995

OUCH

137 posted on 05/20/2005 12:22:07 AM PDT by piasa (Attitude Adjustments Offered Here Free of Charge)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 136 | View Replies]

To: Shermy
Gorgeous George’s life of scrapes
138 posted on 05/20/2005 12:34:57 AM PDT by piasa (Attitude Adjustments Offered Here Free of Charge)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 137 | View Replies]

To: Richard Axtell

I’m curious to hear your opinions 5 years later?


139 posted on 02/26/2010 1:46:31 PM PST by ConservativeUK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-100101-139 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson