Skip to comments.How to Handle the Koran; Official D.O.D. Guidelines. (No Similar Rules for Christian Bible)
Posted on 06/07/2005 7:26:41 PM PDT by fight_truth_decay
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO 19 JAN 03 MEMORANDUM FOR All personnel, JDOG SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
1. General. The purpose of this SOP is to provide guidance and set specific procedures for the handling and inspecting of detainee Korans.
2. Intent. To ensure the safety of the detainees and MPs while respecting the cultural dignity of the Korans thereby reducing the friction over the searching the Korans. JTF-GTMO personnel directly working with detainees will avoid handling or touching the detainees Koran whenever possible. When military necessity does require the Koran to be search, the subsequent procedures will be followed.
3. Inspection. a. The MP informs the detainee that the Chaplain or a Muslim interpreter will inspect Koran. If the detainee refuses the inspection at any time, the noncompliance is reported to the Detention Operations Center (DOC) and logged appropriately by the block NCO. b. The Koran will not be touched or handled by the MP. c. The Chaplain or Muslim interpreter will give instructio ns to the detainee who will handle the Koran. He may or may not require a language specific interpreter. d. The inspector is examining so as to notice an unauthorized items, markings, or any indicators that raises suspicion about the contents of the Koran. e. The inspector will instruct the detainee to first open the one cover with one hand while holding the Koran in the other thus exposing the inside cover completely. f. The inspector instructs the detainee to open pages in an upright manner (as if reading the Koran). This is a random page search and not every page is to be turned. Pages will be turned slowly enough to clearly see the pages. g. The inspector has the detainee show the inside of the back cover of the Koran.
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE JOINT TASK FORCE GUANTANAMO HEADQUARTERS, JOINT DETENTION OPERATION GROUP (JDOG) GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA APO AE 09360 JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification:
Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) h. The detainee is instructed to show both ends of the Koran while the book is closed so that inspector can note the binding while closed paying attention to abnormal contours or protrusions associated with the binding. The intent is to deduce if anything may be in the binding without forcing the detainee to expose the binding, which may be construed as culturally insensitive or offensive given the significance of the Koran. i. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal.
4. Handling. a. Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling. b. Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence. Care should be used so that the right hand is the primary one used to manipulate any part of the Koran due to the cultural association with the left hand. Handle the Koran as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art. c. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas.
5. Removal. a. Korans should be left in the cell as a general rule (save in MSU), even when a detainee is moved to another cell or block. In principal, every cell (except MSU) will have a Koran assigned to it. b. If a Koran must be removed at the direction the CJDOG, the detainee library personnel or Chaplain will be contacted to retrieve and properly store the Koran in the detainee library. The request for the librarian/Chaplain, as well as the retrieval itself, will be logged appropriately. c. If the Chaplain, librarian, or Muslim interpreter, within the needs of the situation, cannot remove the Koran, then the MP may remove the Koran after approved by the DOC (who notes this in the MP Blotter) IAW the following procedures: 1) Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
2) Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence.
3) Place a clean, dry, detainee towel on the detainee bed and then place the Koran on top of the clean towel in a manner, which allows it to be wrapped without turning the Koran over at any time in a reverent manner. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet area when doing this activity. d. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal. e. The Koran shall be returned to the librarian, Chaplain, or DOC (in that order). f. Exception: Detainee in MSU may have a Koran if specifically authorized by a 508-1 or the Level 5 Block Entitlement Form. Once detainee leaves MSU, the same handling/removing policies and procedures remain in effect.
6. Korans are the property of the U.S. Government and as such will remain in the cells only to be removed at the JDOG Commanders decision. 7. For further information or clarification, please contact the JDOG DOC @ 3239.
(3 Page Format)
Concha' know the terrorists are usually a different brand of Moslem than their victims, so they just write it off to "false Korans".
According to the secularists the US Constitutions contains the clause about separation of the Church from state, but there is nothing about the Mosque!
Didn't the Wermacht uniform include belt buckles inscribed with "Gott mit uns"? Though, of course, they are no longer our enemy.
I think we should all remember that this pussy-footing around Muslim sensibilities is part of a divide and conqueror strategy. We will need Muslim client governments to keep order in the Muslim world while suppressing Islamism. If this is to be done right, they will need to have a popular mandate from the vast majority of Muslims who (according to the dominant Hanbali school of Koranic intepretation, of which Wahabbism is simply an extreme variant) are 'bad Muslims' for not taking jihad as literal warfare seriously.
It does not help our cause in this regard to needlessly inflame Muslim sensibilities by ill-treating or permitting ill-treatment of their holy book. In this regard, it must be remembered that the Koran occupies a place in Muslim piety which combines the places occupied for traditional Christians by the Bible and the Sacraments. I should not be at all suprised if the Chaplains' Corps has regulations requiring proper conduct with regard to the Sacraments of any of the Christian confessions represented in the Corps, and indeed would be surprised to find the contrary.
I realize many on FR advocate a strategy against Islam as a whole which mirror-images the classical Islamic position vis-a-vis kufir: convert or die. Such a strategy is however, immoral, inhumane, and impractical.
So long as all of the Muslim world has not risen against us as al Qaeda hoped would happen in response to a ham-fisted response to 9/11 (which never materialized, as instead George W. Bush became only the third leader in history to conqueror Afghanistan), the divide-and-conqueror strategy requires us to observe formal 'niceness' toward Islam and things Islamic generically, even as we hunt down and kill any Muslim actively pursuing jihad against us or any other civilized power.
Interesting that you should bring that up. Hitler was actually decidedly anti-Christian and part of his agenda (spelled out in detail in Mein Kampf) was to supplant Christianity with a new state religion based on a combination of socialist ideology and teutonic pagan ritual.
the DOD recruits WICCA and Muslim Chaplins
They should be replaced with translated tear-proofed copies of 'A Patriots History of the United States' and other such appropriate works.
This is so stupid, we are trying to fight the war the PC way. I'm a loyal Savage listener although I have disagreed with him on how the War on Terror is being "Vietnamized" but I'm afraid with this, he is right and I am wrong. Maybe I'll be accused of Abu-Garab tactics but I'd never give these guys the Koran and they would wat what's on the menu of the day or they will do without for that day.
I'm gonna nitpick here. Muhammed didn't "write" the Koran because he was illiterate and the Koran was not put to paper until at least a century after his death. The official story is that Muhammed recited verses that were "revealed" to him, but the evidence suggests that he made it up as he went along.
If you can stomach it, I stronly recommend that you acquaint yourself with Islamic scripture. It is the ugliest body of literature in the history of humankind (on a par with Mein Kampf IMO) and we will not defeat our enemies until we fully understand their motives, their goals and the depth of depravity that they regard as proper behaviour.
Tell me how allowing Wahabists to build Mosques, Islamic Centers and buy up huge tracts of US rural property for their so called summer camps..
Or how the funding of lobbying political buy off machines like CAIR by Wealthy oil Wahabists from Saudi accomplishes this
'Divide and conquer' strategy?
It's right up there with the war on terror stragegy of leaving our borders wide open..
Handing Israel to the Palestinians along with billions of
tax payer dollars
And his god was closer to Allah than to the true God.
How do the Islamofascist reconcile the fact that the God they call the Koran is printed on paper, which comes from trees, which is apparently printed somewhere, and that along that process some INFIDEL probably handled the material. Are Muslims stupid or what.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if they were found to be printed by some Jewish printing company in New Jersey?
I can imagine in late 2001 asking a question of myself in 2005:
Whats the main story? The smallpox quarantine? Fallout from the Iranian Israeli exchange contaminating Indian crops? A series of bombings in heartland malls?
"Well, no the big story today has to do with soldiers mishandling terrorists' holy texts at a detention center."
Mishandling? How? Like, you mean, they opened it up without first checking to see if it was ticking, and it blew up?
"No, they handled it in a way that disrespected it. Infidels are supposed to use gloves."
Oh. So we lost, then.
HEHE....my thought was a printing company in Israel. ah what irony that would be. Maybe the U.S. military can tell us where the Korans (Gods) are printed that they so disrespectfully handle come from.... NJ sounds like a good place.
I won't hold my breath expecting them to raise such a concern about any non-Christian religion.