Skip to comments.How to Handle the Koran; Official D.O.D. Guidelines. (No Similar Rules for Christian Bible)
Posted on 06/07/2005 7:26:41 PM PDT by fight_truth_decay
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO 19 JAN 03 MEMORANDUM FOR All personnel, JDOG SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
1. General. The purpose of this SOP is to provide guidance and set specific procedures for the handling and inspecting of detainee Korans.
2. Intent. To ensure the safety of the detainees and MPs while respecting the cultural dignity of the Korans thereby reducing the friction over the searching the Korans. JTF-GTMO personnel directly working with detainees will avoid handling or touching the detainees Koran whenever possible. When military necessity does require the Koran to be search, the subsequent procedures will be followed.
3. Inspection. a. The MP informs the detainee that the Chaplain or a Muslim interpreter will inspect Koran. If the detainee refuses the inspection at any time, the noncompliance is reported to the Detention Operations Center (DOC) and logged appropriately by the block NCO. b. The Koran will not be touched or handled by the MP. c. The Chaplain or Muslim interpreter will give instructio ns to the detainee who will handle the Koran. He may or may not require a language specific interpreter. d. The inspector is examining so as to notice an unauthorized items, markings, or any indicators that raises suspicion about the contents of the Koran. e. The inspector will instruct the detainee to first open the one cover with one hand while holding the Koran in the other thus exposing the inside cover completely. f. The inspector instructs the detainee to open pages in an upright manner (as if reading the Koran). This is a random page search and not every page is to be turned. Pages will be turned slowly enough to clearly see the pages. g. The inspector has the detainee show the inside of the back cover of the Koran.
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE JOINT TASK FORCE GUANTANAMO HEADQUARTERS, JOINT DETENTION OPERATION GROUP (JDOG) GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA APO AE 09360 JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification:
Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) h. The detainee is instructed to show both ends of the Koran while the book is closed so that inspector can note the binding while closed paying attention to abnormal contours or protrusions associated with the binding. The intent is to deduce if anything may be in the binding without forcing the detainee to expose the binding, which may be construed as culturally insensitive or offensive given the significance of the Koran. i. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal.
4. Handling. a. Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling. b. Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence. Care should be used so that the right hand is the primary one used to manipulate any part of the Koran due to the cultural association with the left hand. Handle the Koran as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art. c. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas.
5. Removal. a. Korans should be left in the cell as a general rule (save in MSU), even when a detainee is moved to another cell or block. In principal, every cell (except MSU) will have a Koran assigned to it. b. If a Koran must be removed at the direction the CJDOG, the detainee library personnel or Chaplain will be contacted to retrieve and properly store the Koran in the detainee library. The request for the librarian/Chaplain, as well as the retrieval itself, will be logged appropriately. c. If the Chaplain, librarian, or Muslim interpreter, within the needs of the situation, cannot remove the Koran, then the MP may remove the Koran after approved by the DOC (who notes this in the MP Blotter) IAW the following procedures: 1) Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
2) Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence.
3) Place a clean, dry, detainee towel on the detainee bed and then place the Koran on top of the clean towel in a manner, which allows it to be wrapped without turning the Koran over at any time in a reverent manner. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet area when doing this activity. d. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal. e. The Koran shall be returned to the librarian, Chaplain, or DOC (in that order). f. Exception: Detainee in MSU may have a Koran if specifically authorized by a 508-1 or the Level 5 Block Entitlement Form. Once detainee leaves MSU, the same handling/removing policies and procedures remain in effect.
6. Korans are the property of the U.S. Government and as such will remain in the cells only to be removed at the JDOG Commanders decision. 7. For further information or clarification, please contact the JDOG DOC @ 3239.
(3 Page Format)
No Similar Rules for Christian Bible-Michael Savage.
Red Cross Told US of Koran Incidents
By Cam Simpson and Mark Silva
The Chicago Tribune,Thursday 19 May 2005
Washington - The International Committee of the Red Cross documented what it called credible information about US personnel disrespecting or mishandling Korans at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility and pointed it out to the Pentagon in confidential reports during 2002 and early 2003, an ICRC spokesman said Wednesday.
Representatives of the ICRC, who have played a key role in investigating abuse allegations at the facility in Cuba and other US military prisons, never witnessed such incidents firsthand during on-site visits, said Simon Schorno, an ICRC spokesman in Washington.
But ICRC delegates, who have been granted access to the secretive camp since January 2002, gathered and corroborated enough similar, independent reports from detainees to raise the issue multiple times with Guantanamo commanders and with Pentagon officials, Schorno said in an interview Wednesday.
Following the ICRC's reports, the Defense Department command in Guantanamo issued almost three pages of detailed, written guidelines for treatment of Korans. Schorno said ICRC representatives did not receive any other complaints or document similar incidents following the issuance of the guidelines on Jan. 19, 2003.
The American people should be informed that merely handling the Koran could constitute desecration in the eyes of the Islamic zealot
In regard to Newsweek's apology for its false Koran-in-the-toilet story, Gary Bauer, president of American Values, has commented, "I wonder if anyone at Newsweek recalled that it was the U.S. Government that supplied Korans to the Muslim prisoners in the first place?" The same question applies to the Post. Bauer notes that the U.S. military gives the prisoners access to their holy book while the terrorists cut peoples' heads off. But guess who gets most of the media criticism?
At the moment we have a war on and the funny little foreign people who wear bedsheets have to be kept pacified insofar as is possible. Wait until after the war to move further on this problem.
step 1: place the koran on the ground
step 2: spray it with some cheap petrol
step 3: torch it.
step 4: the end.
To be fair, I doubt that there would be any need for guidelines about handling the Bible because America's enemies don't carry them.
"Sorry, we're not sure what to do with then so we can't let you have them. We wouldn't want to piss off Allah or anything."
You beat me by two posts ;-)
I like that idea!!!
That will really help us and our soldiers around the world.
When handling the Koran, the following SOP is to be observed:
1. Grasp Koran in right hand;
2. Hold "willy" with left hand;
3. Urinate onto Koran until bladder is empty.
All possible care is to be taken so that urine stream does not splash onto the right hand.
Oh boy. Who's got that "I don't care" picture from last night???
I dont think so. Christians know it isnt the Bible that is the important item its the message inside.
Why great consideration is given to their comic-book, I dont know, but it is an abomination (the act of treating it respectfully).
Exceeded only by the stupidity in handing them out to begin with.
Exceeded only by the stupidity in handing them out to begin with.
I need to start complaining now. Loudly and clearly. Before it gets any worse,
If I can just figure out whom to complain o...
But how many more Koran's will be destroyed when blown up inside mosques attacked by Muslim terrorists?
Concha' know the terrorists are usually a different brand of Moslem than their victims, so they just write it off to "false Korans".
According to the secularists the US Constitutions contains the clause about separation of the Church from state, but there is nothing about the Mosque!
Didn't the Wermacht uniform include belt buckles inscribed with "Gott mit uns"? Though, of course, they are no longer our enemy.
I think we should all remember that this pussy-footing around Muslim sensibilities is part of a divide and conqueror strategy. We will need Muslim client governments to keep order in the Muslim world while suppressing Islamism. If this is to be done right, they will need to have a popular mandate from the vast majority of Muslims who (according to the dominant Hanbali school of Koranic intepretation, of which Wahabbism is simply an extreme variant) are 'bad Muslims' for not taking jihad as literal warfare seriously.
It does not help our cause in this regard to needlessly inflame Muslim sensibilities by ill-treating or permitting ill-treatment of their holy book. In this regard, it must be remembered that the Koran occupies a place in Muslim piety which combines the places occupied for traditional Christians by the Bible and the Sacraments. I should not be at all suprised if the Chaplains' Corps has regulations requiring proper conduct with regard to the Sacraments of any of the Christian confessions represented in the Corps, and indeed would be surprised to find the contrary.
I realize many on FR advocate a strategy against Islam as a whole which mirror-images the classical Islamic position vis-a-vis kufir: convert or die. Such a strategy is however, immoral, inhumane, and impractical.
So long as all of the Muslim world has not risen against us as al Qaeda hoped would happen in response to a ham-fisted response to 9/11 (which never materialized, as instead George W. Bush became only the third leader in history to conqueror Afghanistan), the divide-and-conqueror strategy requires us to observe formal 'niceness' toward Islam and things Islamic generically, even as we hunt down and kill any Muslim actively pursuing jihad against us or any other civilized power.
Interesting that you should bring that up. Hitler was actually decidedly anti-Christian and part of his agenda (spelled out in detail in Mein Kampf) was to supplant Christianity with a new state religion based on a combination of socialist ideology and teutonic pagan ritual.
the DOD recruits WICCA and Muslim Chaplins
They should be replaced with translated tear-proofed copies of 'A Patriots History of the United States' and other such appropriate works.
This is so stupid, we are trying to fight the war the PC way. I'm a loyal Savage listener although I have disagreed with him on how the War on Terror is being "Vietnamized" but I'm afraid with this, he is right and I am wrong. Maybe I'll be accused of Abu-Garab tactics but I'd never give these guys the Koran and they would wat what's on the menu of the day or they will do without for that day.
I'm gonna nitpick here. Muhammed didn't "write" the Koran because he was illiterate and the Koran was not put to paper until at least a century after his death. The official story is that Muhammed recited verses that were "revealed" to him, but the evidence suggests that he made it up as he went along.
If you can stomach it, I stronly recommend that you acquaint yourself with Islamic scripture. It is the ugliest body of literature in the history of humankind (on a par with Mein Kampf IMO) and we will not defeat our enemies until we fully understand their motives, their goals and the depth of depravity that they regard as proper behaviour.
Tell me how allowing Wahabists to build Mosques, Islamic Centers and buy up huge tracts of US rural property for their so called summer camps..
Or how the funding of lobbying political buy off machines like CAIR by Wealthy oil Wahabists from Saudi accomplishes this
'Divide and conquer' strategy?
It's right up there with the war on terror stragegy of leaving our borders wide open..
Handing Israel to the Palestinians along with billions of
tax payer dollars
And his god was closer to Allah than to the true God.
How do the Islamofascist reconcile the fact that the God they call the Koran is printed on paper, which comes from trees, which is apparently printed somewhere, and that along that process some INFIDEL probably handled the material. Are Muslims stupid or what.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if they were found to be printed by some Jewish printing company in New Jersey?
I can imagine in late 2001 asking a question of myself in 2005:
Whats the main story? The smallpox quarantine? Fallout from the Iranian Israeli exchange contaminating Indian crops? A series of bombings in heartland malls?
"Well, no the big story today has to do with soldiers mishandling terrorists' holy texts at a detention center."
Mishandling? How? Like, you mean, they opened it up without first checking to see if it was ticking, and it blew up?
"No, they handled it in a way that disrespected it. Infidels are supposed to use gloves."
Oh. So we lost, then.
HEHE....my thought was a printing company in Israel. ah what irony that would be. Maybe the U.S. military can tell us where the Korans (Gods) are printed that they so disrespectfully handle come from.... NJ sounds like a good place.
I won't hold my breath expecting them to raise such a concern about any non-Christian religion.
a new Koran .... $59.99
Shipping ... $5.00
The look on the insurgent's face when he realizes it was printed in Israel ... Priceless
Following ICRC's reports who have been granted access to the secretive camp since January 2002, the Defense Department command in Guantanamo issued almost three pages of detailed, written guidelines for treatment of Korans. ICRC representatives did not receive any other complaints or document similar incidents following the issuance of the guidelines on Jan. 19, 2003.
Also, the New York Magazine found that Arabic-language editions of Newsweek did not carry the retraction of the alleged Koran-flushing story that ran in the English-language. Who's the Inflammer?
Now here's how each prisoner is treated at Guantánamo:
They get a toothbrush, mint-flavored toothpaste, a bottle of "Lively Salon" antidandruff shampoo, soap, flip flops, a foam sleeping mat, two buckets, a washcloth, a canteen, a prayer cap, two blankets, a sheet, a Koran and two towels, one for praying.
And, strangely, they get to write home. It's not that the U.S. military has a soft spot for the mothers of the Taliban or al-Qaida. Instead, base officials try to glean the prisoners' real names from the letters, as many tend to give multiple aliases during interrogations.
When they're done, they're assigned to the cells in which they will begin their new lives. These are 8-feet-square, with chain-link sides and tin roofs. The Halogen lights stay on all night. (Just like the Red Roof Inns ;) )
The next day starts with prayer call about 5 a.m. A sign on a pole at the edge of the camp points the direction to Mecca. The prisoners come from 31 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan, Algeria, England, Egypt, Australia, France, Russia, Belgium and Sweden. Base officials say there are Christian prisoners as well as Muslims.
After prayer, the detainees' day goes like this: breakfast, a shower (every other day), sick call, noon prayer, lunch, recreation (15 minutes a couple of times a week), mail call, sunset prayer, dinner, evening prayer and bedtime around 9 p.m. For dinner they get white rice, red beans, a banana and water.
On one side of the scales I see Americans beheaded..then on the other side I see "All the Above".
How to handle the koran ?
"step 1: place the koran on the ground
step 2: spray it with some cheap petrol
step 3: torch it.
step 4: the end."
Smokey the Bear says you forgot the last step:
Step 5: Douse with porcine urine, stir ashes, then douse again.
Christians do not need rules because we don't worship an image (bible).
Savage is a freakiin nut job! I wonder how many CHRISTIANS ARE BEING HELD IN GITMO? Or in ABU GRAEB?
I would urinate on them, I would rip out their pages and clean the excrement from my body with then. I would desecrate them in any manner which I could think. I would urinate in their so-called holy places as they did in the Church of the Nativity. I would defecate on their altars. I would burn their so-called holy scrolls to cook hot dogs and hope the fat of pigs fell on their ashes. I would bring dogs and pigs into their so-called holy places to urinate and defecate as they need.
If any of the cult of that false prophet don't like it, they may kiss my gluetei or my anal sphincter before I shot them with a bullet dipped in the rendered fat of a pig!
Thanks for posting. Savage's recitation of these idiotic rules was powerful.
They left out the most important rule:
Hang on crapper wall to replace the Sears catalog.
Savage is spot on. These savages will kill us in a New York minute and we're worried about paper that was printed who knows where. If we don't get some balls and forget the PC crap, we're done. They care less about our culture and are using our beliefs against us. This is a battle to the end and we must start to realize that we need fight to win, not appease. That's the way I see it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.