Skip to comments.How to Handle the Koran; Official D.O.D. Guidelines. (No Similar Rules for Christian Bible)
Posted on 06/07/2005 7:26:41 PM PDT by fight_truth_decay
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO 19 JAN 03 MEMORANDUM FOR All personnel, JDOG SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
1. General. The purpose of this SOP is to provide guidance and set specific procedures for the handling and inspecting of detainee Korans.
2. Intent. To ensure the safety of the detainees and MPs while respecting the cultural dignity of the Korans thereby reducing the friction over the searching the Korans. JTF-GTMO personnel directly working with detainees will avoid handling or touching the detainees Koran whenever possible. When military necessity does require the Koran to be search, the subsequent procedures will be followed.
3. Inspection. a. The MP informs the detainee that the Chaplain or a Muslim interpreter will inspect Koran. If the detainee refuses the inspection at any time, the noncompliance is reported to the Detention Operations Center (DOC) and logged appropriately by the block NCO. b. The Koran will not be touched or handled by the MP. c. The Chaplain or Muslim interpreter will give instructio ns to the detainee who will handle the Koran. He may or may not require a language specific interpreter. d. The inspector is examining so as to notice an unauthorized items, markings, or any indicators that raises suspicion about the contents of the Koran. e. The inspector will instruct the detainee to first open the one cover with one hand while holding the Koran in the other thus exposing the inside cover completely. f. The inspector instructs the detainee to open pages in an upright manner (as if reading the Koran). This is a random page search and not every page is to be turned. Pages will be turned slowly enough to clearly see the pages. g. The inspector has the detainee show the inside of the back cover of the Koran.
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE JOINT TASK FORCE GUANTANAMO HEADQUARTERS, JOINT DETENTION OPERATION GROUP (JDOG) GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA APO AE 09360 JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification:
Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) h. The detainee is instructed to show both ends of the Koran while the book is closed so that inspector can note the binding while closed paying attention to abnormal contours or protrusions associated with the binding. The intent is to deduce if anything may be in the binding without forcing the detainee to expose the binding, which may be construed as culturally insensitive or offensive given the significance of the Koran. i. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal.
4. Handling. a. Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling. b. Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence. Care should be used so that the right hand is the primary one used to manipulate any part of the Koran due to the cultural association with the left hand. Handle the Koran as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art. c. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas.
5. Removal. a. Korans should be left in the cell as a general rule (save in MSU), even when a detainee is moved to another cell or block. In principal, every cell (except MSU) will have a Koran assigned to it. b. If a Koran must be removed at the direction the CJDOG, the detainee library personnel or Chaplain will be contacted to retrieve and properly store the Koran in the detainee library. The request for the librarian/Chaplain, as well as the retrieval itself, will be logged appropriately. c. If the Chaplain, librarian, or Muslim interpreter, within the needs of the situation, cannot remove the Koran, then the MP may remove the Koran after approved by the DOC (who notes this in the MP Blotter) IAW the following procedures: 1) Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
2) Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence.
3) Place a clean, dry, detainee towel on the detainee bed and then place the Koran on top of the clean towel in a manner, which allows it to be wrapped without turning the Koran over at any time in a reverent manner. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet area when doing this activity. d. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal. e. The Koran shall be returned to the librarian, Chaplain, or DOC (in that order). f. Exception: Detainee in MSU may have a Koran if specifically authorized by a 508-1 or the Level 5 Block Entitlement Form. Once detainee leaves MSU, the same handling/removing policies and procedures remain in effect.
6. Korans are the property of the U.S. Government and as such will remain in the cells only to be removed at the JDOG Commanders decision. 7. For further information or clarification, please contact the JDOG DOC @ 3239.
(3 Page Format)
a new Koran .... $59.99
Shipping ... $5.00
The look on the insurgent's face when he realizes it was printed in Israel ... Priceless
Following ICRC's reports who have been granted access to the secretive camp since January 2002, the Defense Department command in Guantanamo issued almost three pages of detailed, written guidelines for treatment of Korans. ICRC representatives did not receive any other complaints or document similar incidents following the issuance of the guidelines on Jan. 19, 2003.
Also, the New York Magazine found that Arabic-language editions of Newsweek did not carry the retraction of the alleged Koran-flushing story that ran in the English-language. Who's the Inflammer?
Now here's how each prisoner is treated at Guantánamo:
They get a toothbrush, mint-flavored toothpaste, a bottle of "Lively Salon" antidandruff shampoo, soap, flip flops, a foam sleeping mat, two buckets, a washcloth, a canteen, a prayer cap, two blankets, a sheet, a Koran and two towels, one for praying.
And, strangely, they get to write home. It's not that the U.S. military has a soft spot for the mothers of the Taliban or al-Qaida. Instead, base officials try to glean the prisoners' real names from the letters, as many tend to give multiple aliases during interrogations.
When they're done, they're assigned to the cells in which they will begin their new lives. These are 8-feet-square, with chain-link sides and tin roofs. The Halogen lights stay on all night. (Just like the Red Roof Inns ;) )
The next day starts with prayer call about 5 a.m. A sign on a pole at the edge of the camp points the direction to Mecca. The prisoners come from 31 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan, Algeria, England, Egypt, Australia, France, Russia, Belgium and Sweden. Base officials say there are Christian prisoners as well as Muslims.
After prayer, the detainees' day goes like this: breakfast, a shower (every other day), sick call, noon prayer, lunch, recreation (15 minutes a couple of times a week), mail call, sunset prayer, dinner, evening prayer and bedtime around 9 p.m. For dinner they get white rice, red beans, a banana and water.
On one side of the scales I see Americans beheaded..then on the other side I see "All the Above".
How to handle the koran ?
"step 1: place the koran on the ground
step 2: spray it with some cheap petrol
step 3: torch it.
step 4: the end."
Smokey the Bear says you forgot the last step:
Step 5: Douse with porcine urine, stir ashes, then douse again.
Christians do not need rules because we don't worship an image (bible).
Savage is a freakiin nut job! I wonder how many CHRISTIANS ARE BEING HELD IN GITMO? Or in ABU GRAEB?
I would urinate on them, I would rip out their pages and clean the excrement from my body with then. I would desecrate them in any manner which I could think. I would urinate in their so-called holy places as they did in the Church of the Nativity. I would defecate on their altars. I would burn their so-called holy scrolls to cook hot dogs and hope the fat of pigs fell on their ashes. I would bring dogs and pigs into their so-called holy places to urinate and defecate as they need.
If any of the cult of that false prophet don't like it, they may kiss my gluetei or my anal sphincter before I shot them with a bullet dipped in the rendered fat of a pig!
Thanks for posting. Savage's recitation of these idiotic rules was powerful.
They left out the most important rule:
Hang on crapper wall to replace the Sears catalog.
Savage is spot on. These savages will kill us in a New York minute and we're worried about paper that was printed who knows where. If we don't get some balls and forget the PC crap, we're done. They care less about our culture and are using our beliefs against us. This is a battle to the end and we must start to realize that we need fight to win, not appease. That's the way I see it.
Yes, and that is why the NYT and other media outlets trying to undermine this reasonable part of our overall strategy are treasonous.
I would like to see the Wahabbists kept (and thrown) out of the US as seditious, but that doesn't invalidate what I said.
Open borders is idiocy, CAFTA would find a defender in Adam Smith, while divide-and-conqueror is how successful empires throughout history have dealt with large but disorganized threats. Islam is such a threat. I'm sorry to say post-9/11 through no choice of our own, we have to think and behave like an empire or we will soon cease to be a constitutional republic.
Isn't this blatantly "respecting an establishment of religion" by the U.S. Government?
Why bother? Just have some extras, bring the extras in some kind of suitable case, and trade them on a periodic basis.
Why bother? Just have some extras, bring the extras in some kind of suitable case, and trade them on a periodic basis. (And inspect when out of sight)
Shouldn't we also be forced to kiss the Koran whenever we see one?
Destroy them, level their dwellings, salt the earth, crap on the Korans for good measure. Cause the few survivors to piss themselves in terror just thinking about the USA.
In the meantime, though, the politicians will grovel in fear of Moo outrage. Until a few of them get blown up the next time.
At the moment we have a war on and the funny little foreign people who wear bedsheets have to be kept pacified insofar as is possible
BTW, Pancho Villa invaded the United States and as he did so one of his riflemen shot out a town clock. It remains stopped at 4-11
Sometimes they'd have trouble and have to disperse the population of course.
I think that's what you are talking about with "divide and conquer" ~ this dispersal business ~ but with Rome it was rare.