HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Rather than fight a lawsuit by CNN, the federal government abandoned its effort Saturday to prevent the media from reporting on the recovery of the dead in New Orleans.
Joint Task Force Katrina "has no plans to bar, impede or prevent news media from their news gathering and reporting activities in connection with the deceased Hurricane Katrina victim recovery efforts," said Col. Christian E. deGraff, representing the task force.
U.S. District Court Judge Keith Ellison issued a temporary restraining order Friday against a "zero access" policy announced earlier in the day by Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, who is overseeing the federal relief effort in the city, and Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security director.
In explaining the ban, Ebbert said, "we don't think that's proper" to let members of the media view the bodies.
The judge was to consider granting a permanent injunction Saturday when the government announced its decision not to fight CNN's lawsuit.
In an e-mail to CNN staff, CNN News Group President Jim Walton said the network filed the the lawsuit to "prohibit any agency from restricting its ability to fully and fairly cover" the hurricane victim recovery process.
.....Walton wrote, "CNN has shown that it is capable of balancing vigorous reporting with respect for private concerns."
Mods: I leave it up to your judgement -- if you think this thread should be pulled.
Keep this comment in mind when the MoveOn.org commercials superimposing images of bloated corpses over images of President Bush start hitting the airwaves in a week or so.
I think this thread should stay. Maybe a new thread with the link to the 11:05 news.