Skip to comments.READERS WRITE: "Brokeback's" message worth considering [libertarian talking point]
Posted on 01/17/2006 5:33:20 AM PST by madprof98
Theater officials in some communities are not showing the path-breaking "Brokeback Mountain," a movie rivaling in importance the post-World War II "Gentleman's Agreement," which took on polite but deadly anti-Semitism in the American elite.
It is not just about two gay cowboys. It is about how homophobia and hypocrisy force them to marry and have children instead of living the lives God and nature gave them. The results are tragic, not just for them but for those around them.
The target here is hypocrisy and self-appointed moralists who think they can tell us how to think, how to live, how to say happy holidays and how to interpret world events.
NORMAN RAVITCH, Savannah
Sounds like a bitter, old fag.
Liberal, more like it.
Yep, old God up there wants everyone to live their life in an abomination to him!
The Prof sounds like a bit of a self-appointed moralist himself. But I'm sure the irony is lost on him...
"The target here is hypocrisy and self-appointed moralists who think they can tell us how to think, how to live, how to say happy holidays and how to interpret world events."
This from the PC police. I don't think I care if someone is homosexual. What I dispise is the constant push to tell ME what I have to think, live and interpret.
I think he was the maid of honor at Elton John's wedding.
No, LiberTINE is more like it.
There is no Biblical foundation to argue that God makes anyone a homosexual, nor is there any evidence that nature does so. What there is, is a radical leftist homosexual agenda and this movie is part of that.
That also goes for 'Transamerica,' another winner last night (loser actually). One can mutilate their genitals all they want and dump themselves with hormones but that does not change a single chromosome.
Homosexual agenda ping.
The libertarians are now trying to say God makes people homosexual. The oddest part is that the left doesn't even believe in God.
here is my take on it....and we all know what opinions are like.
I dont care who buggers whom (of course following the dictates of legal age). But for God sake if it unnatural, keep it out of the main stream and the media. Nobody needs to see it....it is disgusting. Don't make it a cause celeb....keep it your dirty little secret.
What the proponents of this call a phobia, is not....its is revulsion, like what most people feel seeing the remains of a suicide bomber or someone who was in a nasty motorcycle accident. Not for the front page, so to speak.
You sure nailed it there.
More tripe from the Atlanta Urinal Constipation.
Great point. BINGO!
Geahh. Ravitch was a history professor at my alma mater. I'd like to apologize to everybody.
No libertarian would use the word 'force' this way.
Hope the liberals really enjoy 'Humpback Hill' as another example of psychological decay with emphasis on them wanting people to accept perversion as OK.
In other words, the movie is homosexual propaganda.
It is a movie made by hetrophobes, those with irrational fears of normal people.
A libertarian complaining that people are exercising their free will to (a) not show the movie in their private theatres, and (b) not spend their personal money to see the movie. Yeah, sure Norm, you're a libertarian.
Also, what about their sympathy for pedophilia (practically a reproduction strategy for the homosexuals)? It's certainly a party that I wouldn't support.
Precisely. The occupation was picked for a reason.
I think another assault it makes is on the concept of non-sexual manly friendship-- it seems that male friends must equal homosexual relationship to the gay agenda.
"that sheepherders shouldn't be called cowboys."
I noticed that, too. I wonder if true cowboys are more upset that these sheep herders are called cowboys.
You nailed it! Exactly what I thought when the movie first came out. An attack on another "American" Cultural Icon!
"instead of living the lives God and nature gave them"
WTF? God doesn't make homos. Perverted lust makes homos.
They just wanted to do something shocking and weird that hasn't been done before, so they thought, "What are the two most opposite things in the world?" "Oh yea! A queer and a cowboy!" "Let's make a movie about queer cowboys and see how many people we can make angry."
The BBM film script is a typical scenario lifted from the ambiguous but elite liaisons seen at any Hollywood cocktail/cocaine party or production office, and re-written as a trailer trash gay-vindication romance. Of course Hollywood, et al, loves the film: it's their story.
"I think another assault it makes is on the concept of non-sexual manly friendship-- it seems that male friends must equal homosexual relationship to the gay agenda."
The disgusting hideousness of all this is that people are starting to equate "couples" with sex rather than friendship or even family relationships. My sister and her adult daughter were in at the Harborfront in Baltimore last year when some idiotic, had to be flaming liberal woman told them they made a "cute" couple.
I'm not a LP member, but I seem to be having trouble finding this in their platform. Please point it out.
They believe in God when it is convenient.
Sodomy, pornography, open borders, drugs. That's Libertarianism in a nutshell.
As this is but a letter to the editor, it is inappropriate to be overly critical. Nevertheless, there are several things to bear in mind:
1. Some people who refer to themselves as libertarian do so only in the sense of sexual behavior, and not in the sense of the full range of behavior to include working, saving and investment, gun ownership, the free exercise of religion, etc. A true libertarian wants the government out of our pocketbook as well as out of our bedroom.
2. Some people who refer to themselves as libertarian want individuals to be free not only of coercive force but also to be free of social approbation. They refer to people who choose, in their free association with others, to enter into relationships only with people whose fundamental values they approve, as religious moralists, and describe their choices in denigrating ways. True libertarians who respect all peaceful choices made by people.
3. Some people who refer to themselves as libertarians believe that nobody should bear the consequences of their choices, so that individuals can behave in whatever reckless manner they might choose, such as promiscious homosexual sex, and expect somebody else to pick up the tab. True libertarians believe that we will only discover what is good in a dynamic, ever-changing world, by a process of trial and error. Virtuous behavior does not need to be subsidized. And, decent, hard-working people, who join into wholesome relationships with others, and especially such people who bring children into the world and raise them with such values, these people will prosper in a free society.
4. Some people who refer to themselves as libertarians believe that individuals are not constrained by their past commitments because - after all - we live in an imperfect world and we can always find a reason why our past commitments were not fully-informed. You cannot trust such people. True libertarians believe that we should always respect the person, the privacy and the property of others, and we should always, always keep our word.
5. Finally, if I might distinguish a Christian from a true libertarian, Christians must go beyond the basically negative constraints of libertarianism, and show loving-kindness toward others. As Jesus loved us while we were still sinners, a Christian must initiate generousity toward others, especially the poor, without expectation of reward.
If you look at the main libertarian talking points, they are for pushing the homosexual agenda and all of the other sexual perversions the left wants, keeping abortion legal, making sure that God is never mentioned anywhere in public, making dangerous drugs more available and making our military as small as possible so that we cannot defend against terrorism. This is all very much in line with the left.
They also want to lower taxes and preserve private property rights, and for this, many conservative jump on their bandwagon.
Last I checked men have penises and women have vaginas. The primary 'natural' function of those organs is for reproduction of the species. That does not work with two penises.
Well, at least the author is open, honest, and straighforward.
Movies like this are made to reject Jewish, Islamic and Christian scripture and teaching about man, God, and God's creative wisdom and power.
The idea that male homosexuality is given by God is, for all followers of the monotheistic faiths, anathema - which is the point.
**This was in Letters to the Editor in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution this morning. The author is a retired professor and self-described libertarian.**
And Christian-hating atheist.
Just a nice way to say that some people are not suitable to reproduce.
And Lew Rockwell contributor. That pretty much proves he's a moonbat.
Was this guy pitcher or catcher?
(These folks are NUTS) Look at the section on Domestic Ills and the right of secession.
From the link above:
Sexual Rights The Issue: Government has presumed to decide acceptability over sexual practices in personal relationships, imposing a particular code of moral and social values and displacing personal choice in such matters.
The Principle: Adults have the right to private choice in consensual sexual activity.
Solutions: We advocate an end to all government attempts to dictate, prohibit, control or encourage any private lifestyle, living arrangement or contractual relationship.
Transitional Action: We would repeal existing laws and policies intended to condemn, affirm, encourage or deny sexual lifestyles, or any set of attitudes about such lifestyles.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.