Skip to comments.HYPOCRISY: Top Ten Things The Dems Don't Want You To Know About Their Ties To Jack Abramoff
Posted on 01/17/2006 4:38:30 PM PST by CyberAnt
HYPOCRISY n.: AN ACT OR INSTANCE OF SUCH FALSENESS
Top Ten Things The Dems Dont Want You To Know About Their Ties To Jack Abramoff
10. Larry Noble, Executive Director Of The Center For Responsive Politics, A Non-Partisan Government Watchdog Group, Says Democrats Are Just As Caught Up In The Abramoff Scandal. Noble: I Would Say, Broadly Defined As A Question Of The Tribes Buying Influence In Washington, It Includes Democrats. (Donald Lambro, Dean Denies Party Ties To Abramoff, The Washington Times, 1/11/06)
9. 39 Of 44 Senate Democrats, And 1 Of 1 Senate Independents, Have Accepted Contributions From Abramoff Affiliated Lobbying Firms And Indian Tribes. (Charles Hurt, Dorgan Returns Abramoff Money, The Washington Times, 12/14/05)
8. Abramoff Affiliated Lobbying Firms And Indian Tribes Have Contributed Over $3.1 Million To Democrat Party Interests Between 1997 And 2004. (Political Money Line Website, www.tray.com, Accessed 1/17/06)
· Of The 18 Largest Recipients Of Tribe Contributions Directed By Abramoffs Group, Six, Or One-Third, Were Democrats. (Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis, Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations, The Washington Post, 6/3/05)
7. Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) Used Abramoffs MCI Center Skybox For Fundraisers In 2002 And 2003, Without Proper Reimbursement. (Sharon Theimer, Lobbyist Helped Draft Harkin Letters To Interior, The Associated Press, 12/3/05)
6. Sen. Harry Reids (D-NV) Former Legislative Counsel, Edward Ayoob, Was Team Abramoffs Top Democrat. While Working With Abramoff, Ayoob Held Fundraisers For Reid And Contributed Nearly $40,000 To Democrats. (Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis, Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations, The Washington Post, 6/3/05; The Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 1/17/06)
5. Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) Has Received $14,891 From Abramoff Affiliated Lobbying Firms And Indian Tribes. (Political Money Line Website, www.tray.com, Accessed 1/4/06)
4. Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC), A Member Of The Democrats Clean House Team To Propose Lobbying Reform, Took A Trip To Northern Mariana Islands Improperly Paid For By Jack Abramoff. (Larry Margasak, Records Say Travel By Two Democratic Lawmakers And Two Delay Aides Paid By Lobbyist And Firm, The Associated Press, 5/3/05)
3. Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-ND) Used Abramoffs MCI Center Skybox For A Fundraiser In 2001, Without Proper Reimbursement, And Accepted More Than $10,000 In Contributions From Team Abramoff Lobbyists After Reviving One Of Their Issues. (John Solomon and Sharon Theimer, Abramoff Investigator Used Lobbyist's Skybox, Helped Client, The Associated Press, 12/1/05)
2. Abramoff Affiliated Lobbying Firms And Indian Tribes Contributed More Than $1.2 Million To The DNC, DCCC, And DSCC. (Political Money Line Website, www.tray.com, Accessed 1/4/06)
1. Democratic Sens. Harry Reid (D-NV) And Byron Dorgan (D-ND) Are Reportedly Part Of First Tier Of Lawmakers Being Scrutinized By Justice Department In Influence Peddling Investigation. (Donald Lambro, Dean Denies Party Ties To Abramoff, The Washington Times, 1/11/06)
Everyone does it- Isn't that a clinton claim?
1/3 of the bad guys are dems ..thats it? That their defense? Sigh...at least the republicans gave us Alito...AFTER we went ape-s*&( about myers.
No surprises here. I always thought many Dims were involved too, and now I KNOW they are. This will never be on CNN though...
One good point is that it shows what crap Deans claim of this being 100% a republican problem is.
According to the Dims, it doesn't matter how many of them recieved money beacause the Repubs are the majority. Somehow, that logic escapes me, but I guess I'm just not of the same intellect.
I didn't read this as a "everybody does it" type of article. The dems have been trying to paint the picture that it's only the repubs who have taken this money - when in reality, practically everybody in congress took the money.
What I read from the article is that while the dems complain it's just repubs .. it's not just repubs, and the dems need to clean their own house before throwing darts at the repubs.
Please FReepmail me if you want on or off my miscellaneous ping list.
Very interesting information (thanks, GOP).
There is a palpable exhaustion among many of us Republicans as to these ongoing revelations about the hypocrisy -- no, corruption, as in lack of morality -- by Democrats. It's as if by this point most of us just expect them to be...corrupt.
For every "outrage" issue and personal attack upon a targeted Republican, overturn a few pebbles o' outrage and find a hundred or so clustered Democrats.
Your analysis is very correct!
You're right .. the dems logic does fail the common sense test.
True, I guess I'm just so pissed that they have given them an issue.
This issue, as with others, previous, by and about Democrats, illustrates the scenario of the person captured in crime who then paints a detailed story about how he's been framed and/or reports as to crimes and such by others, attempting to redirect the attention elsewhere (and offering to help!).
Not to -- not at all -- excuse or dismiss corruption by Republicans, by anyone, just that politically, Democrats use these tar&feather hunts of theirs for Republicans to almost routinely deflect attention as to their own deeds and behaviors and schemes and such.
Every time I hear Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden, for just a few examples among Democrats, harp about anything moral or "outrage" and especially about "the little guy," I cringe, given both of their legacies about exploiting, even lethally, the very lives of others. Ted Kennedy harping about "the little guy" is particularly offensive, as if he's actually ridiculing personal worth, given his legacy of calculated ripoff of the worst possible degree.
RIP, Mary Jo Kopeckne and whoever else we may never know about.
Yes, I know what you mean. We were doing great .. then it hit the fan.
But .. I will say this. I have noticed that since this info has been made public .. a lot of repubs have begun to notice that it ain't gonna be a free ride - and they had better git in the boat if they want to git reelected!!
Throw ALL the bums out!
I'm bookmarking this thread for future reference. Thanks much.
Funny how the whiners never give credit to the Bush Department of Justice who, by going after Abramoff, busted open this scandal.
Yes be a good little victim and shoot at your own side for defending itself agains the Dems PR Campaign. Amazing how desperate supposed "Republicans" are to urge the Republican just take it and not fight back. Sorry but most of us are intrested in joining this quest for political irrevlence.
EXACTLY. NO one has EVER suggest this excuse any Republican who may be prosecuted by the Bush Administration Department of Justice. What it IS, is an attempt to point out the screaming hypocrisy of the Democrat Party Leadership. If you want accountability HOLD ALL accountable, NOT just use it as a PR prop to attack Republicans
Here ya go!
This shows them all.
Quite a bit. It was so much, that Joe Lieberman (who boasted he was going to bring down the repubs with the Enron scandal) closed his hearings almost before they got started .. BECAUSE .. all roads led directly back to the Clintons.
Oh, I dunno. The Republicans only have standards, The Democrats have double standards!
You're misreading the statistics cited. 1/3 of the TOP (meaning in total dollars "donated") went to Dems. But 90+% of senate Dems took some money from him. That means MOST Dems are dirty in this issue--contrary to their disingenuous claims of innocence to the contrary.