You know who we never see on these immigration threads? -- farmers who have to get their crops harvested and to market before they rot. When I start seeing regular Americans lining up to work in the fields of America, I'll be convinced that some sort of guest worker program isn't necessary.
Then lets get them from countries like Thailand.
Yeah, they're pretty happy with the status quo. Tell you what. You start paying all your little mexicans minimum wage and withholding the proper payroll and income taxes, or you go to jail. How's THAT for immigration reform.
Hiring illegals any other way is fraud, illegal labor practices, and tax cheating. Period, end of. Spin that, pennies.
You know what I never see in these posts?
Logic from OBL-ers who on one hand claim we can't deport all the illegals here...then demand we bring in more to do those "Farm" jobs that the illegals already here won't do any more...they have moved on to Carpentry, Plumbing, Masonry etc.!
Meanwhile the Labor Unions do everything they can to obstruct automation for a LOT of the Farm Industry!
So when does this OBL free-for-all end? When will you idiots ever learn?
It's all about the Slaver Labor market, and Industries being able to depress wages to lower their overhead...those savings aren't passed on to the consumer, btw!
So, you all are full of excrement...and we see what Uncle Jorge has in store for Americans...
"Ahead Sell-Out Factor 10, Mr. Chertoff!"
One of the agricultural industries that uses lots of illegal labor is the wine industry. Yet the Australian wine industry which does not have access to cheap labor from Mexico or anywhere else manages to make wines that are every bit as good to my pallet and are considerably cheaper. They have automated and they are thrashing our wine growers in the world market.
The same story can be told about the California vs Australian raisin industry.
There are lots of opportunities for automation in agriculture. The industry would be improved by more expensive labor because they would be forced to invest.
And speaking of expensive labor, Americans might start lining up when the growers start paying decent wages. I read all the time about illegal immigrant day laborers standing around on street corners begging for work with about a 20% chance of getting it. Apparently they would rather suffer 80% underemployment then work for the pathetic wages being offered by agriculture.
The borders are practically wide open with thousands of illegals coming every day and the farmers can't find workers. That ought to tell you something. They don't want just cheap labor. They want temporary slave labor.
But let's say I'm wrong and the only way to get American's back into the fields and the construction industry is to raise wages (to something livable). Food and housing would cost a small percentage more. But the money would stay in the US, in our economy, it would be taxed, fewer American's would be on public assistance, and the massive amounts we spend on hand outs would end. It would be worth every penny and more in the long run.
Migrant farm workers have been a part of agriculture as far back as I can remember ( into the 50's at least).
I don't see a problem with 'guest workers' as long as it's regulated.
Something along the lines of post #16.
In the meantime stop the illegal immigration.
They can always hire legal residents, citizens. The only reason that those "farmers" are now dependent upon illegal aliens is because they're comfortable with the process.
If it comes down to them not being able to plant and harvest if they continue to break the laws, they'll be hiring citizens and right quickly. Do whatever it takes. I'm familiar with agricultural and ranching lands and communities and there are people who will do the work if the work is available and the wages are paid.
They will just have to start running a tighter ship, accept that legitimacy is preferable to illigitimacy and change their ways.
And line up workers a year before, offer incentives. Might be a rough change at first but isn't everything.
The reasoning that is based upon the maintaining of bad behavior because it's what works and what is easiest makes the bad behavior preferable is just wrong.
Stop! You're bringing tears to my eyes!
I live in the Dallas Texas (DFW) area. Population 5.2 million. We do not have slaughter house industries, hog farms, cotton fields, lettuce crops, peach orchards, grapes, tomatoes, etc.
What we DO have is about 800,000 illegal aliens. So, tell me, what the hell jobs do the illegals have here? Off the books, illegally, no Social Security, no taxes, etc. That's what kind.
Jobs like I used to have... LEGALLY, paying all taxes and spending the money in this local economy.
If 25 MILLION illegal aliens ain't enough to "pick lettuce" then to hell with lettuce. I will pay "$6.00" the one time a year for the average amount of lettuce I require.