Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

To: Ellesu

How many of these evacuees have been working while on the federal dole?


28 posted on 02/06/2006 1:54:22 PM PST by cardinal4
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]


To: cardinal4
I guess the one's in Lake Charles are working since they weren't mentioned in the following report.
Jobless claims plummet as fewer workers here

By CityBusiness staff report

2006-02-06 2:45 PM CST

BATON ROUGE — Hurricane-related weekly unemployment benefit claims continueto plummet, according to the Louisiana Department of Labor.

As of Jan. 28, the number of active claims resulting from hurricanes Katrina and Rita was 125,895. In November, active claims reached 284,717. Active claims have continued to fall since Nov. 27 when the Labor Department reimposed a federal requirement that claimants call the department weekly to report they have looked for work and are available for employment. The requirement had been waived since September for Katrina victims and subsequently for Rita victims.

“We requested an executive order from the governor to waive the reporting requirement immediately after Hurricane Katrina. We felt that it was important to get benefits to displaced workers as quickly as possible,”Secretary of Labor John Warner Smith said. “Since that time, we have been holding job fairs, offering training programs and using whatever means available to us to get people back to work.”

Unemployment insurance claims show 64,209, or 51 percent, of all active claims were filed by people living in Louisiana. The rest, 61,686, or 49 percent, have been filed by evacuees living in other states.

A breakdown of the 64,209 claims in Louisiana shows:

Rank, City Number

1, Baton Rouge 14,097

2, New Orleans 9,523

3, Lafayette 7,799

4, Alexandria 5,300

5, Shreveport 4,779

6, Monroe 3,077

7, Other areas 2,494

Benefit claims are divided into two categories – unemployment insurance and disaster unemployment assistance. Weekly UI and DUA payments range from $10 to $258 a week. The UI payments are paid from the state Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund. DUA is federally funded.

Department officials said key factors causing the decrease include:

· Claimants return to work.

· Benefits are lost because claimants fail to meet the weekly reporting requirement to look for a job and are “ready and available” for a job.

· Some simply chose to forego the smaller weekly benefits, which can beas low as $10.


29 posted on 02/06/2006 2:04:41 PM PST by CajunConservative (Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Jindal.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article


FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson