Because the msn has made this out to be a BIG confusion - I put off looking into Medicare D until now. Oh I had already called AARP who I get my supplemental thru and was not pleased with their plan. So this is what I found....today
MEDICARE ... DRUG PLAN (in Hawaii)
1. $22.85 per month premium...
2. No cost for Rx until MEDICARE has paid out $2250.00 -** except you do pay a copay of $5.00 or $28.00 or $55.00 copay depending on generic vs name brand AND your Dr can fax a request for the drug he desires & eliminate the higher copay
3. When Medicare reaches $2250.00 in drugs payouts *** then all drug will become your responsibility UNTIL costs reach $3600.00 Then Medicare will pick up 95% and you will pay 5%.
Medicare D recap
1. Monthly Premium .. $22.85
2. Copay .. $ 5.00 +
3. No deductible
4. No expense to patient until Medicare has paid out $2250.00
5. Drug expenses from $2250.00 - 3600.00 is patient responsibility.
6. From $3600.00 on with no limit Medicare pays 95% and patient pays 5% -- until the end of the year!!
Now for an AARP partnered plan ( I don't know what else to call it).
AARP Partnered Private Plan RX plan. ... Drug Plan
1. $80.00 (aprox) premium per month
2. Deductible of $250.00
3. THEN the non government program will pay 50% and you pay 50% of the RX up to $3000.00 (which includes your 50% and the $250.00 deductible). After $3000. has been paid out ALL RX pay-outs are finished or as they say here pau until the next year starts - and so does the deductible start again.
AARP Plan recap
1. $80.00 premium - aprox.
2. $250.00 deductible YOU have to reach.
3. private plan does a 50/50 with patient after deductible has been met.
4. when expenses reach $3000.00 (including the $250. ded. and include patients part of the 50/50 the coverage STOPS not to begin again until the next year.
I do not know how MEDICAL SAVINGS ACCOUNTS plays into this!!!
I don't have road rage ----- I have PHONE RAGE ....BIG TIME as one of my favorites says.
It is not complicated!! It will save me money!!!!!