Skip to comments.Saddam Regime Document: Saddam Ordered The Use of Chemical Weapons in Northern Iraq (Translation)
Posted on 03/23/2006 11:38:46 AM PST by jveritas
Document CMPC 2004-002219 has many letters that discuss the order of Saddam Hussein to use Chemical Weapons in Northern Iraq against who they call agents of Iran, and they are mainly Kurds followers of Massoud Al Barazani, Saddam regime call them The Destroyers, but of course many civilian died in these Chemical attacks because Chemical weapons deadly effects spread much larger than the area where it hit. Page 1 is a letter dated April/8/1987 talks about the final decision to hit the Kurds with Special Ammunition (Chemical Weapons). Then page 4 and 5 are from a letter dated a week earlier March /31/1987 were the Saddam Intelligence are discussing the way to conduct the strike with Chemical Weapons and in this letter they were very clear about the meaning of Special Ammunition where they identified it as MUSTARD AGENT where it is called in letter as AAMEL AL KHARDAL where AAMEL =AGENT (chemical agent that is), and AL KHARDAL = MUSTARD, and this letter mentions another chemical agent called in Arabic as AAMEL AL ZAYEN i.e. AL ZAYEN AGENT, I need to find out what is the meaning of AL ZAYEN may be it is nerve agent or blistering agent, it an Arabic chemical word that I need to find out what it means..
Translation of Page 1
In the Name of God the Most Merciful the Most Compassionate
The Directory Of General Military Intelligence
The First Cooperative- Section 3
Mr. The Assistant
Subject: The Deployment of The Special Ammunition
1. Upon the suggestion of our Directory we obtained the approval of the Presidency of the Republic-Secretary to conduct a strike with the Special Ammunition to the headquarters to Iran agents in the basin (Takiyeh, Blakajar) that belongs to the side of Kerah Dagh and the basin (Blisan) on the main road Jwarkonah-Gleifan and not to conduct the strike until after the informing of the Presidency of the Republic-Secretary on how to invest it.
2. Based on the order of the Presidency above it is relayed in a letter to the Army Chief of Staff (1st Corp and 5th Corp and copy to us) the following:
A. Conduct operations to strike the agents of Iran and the Khomeini Guards in the indicated places in paragraph 1 above with the Special Ammunition.
B. The 1st Corp do the preparation of a plan to invest the strike in the basin (Takiyeh, Blakajar) and present it in front of Mr. The Chief of the Army Staff during the visit of his lordship to the headquarters of the Corp on April 9th.
C. The leadership of the 1st and 5th Corp prepare the common plan to strike the headquarters of agent of Iran in the basin (Balisan) and send it to the Chairmanship of the Army Staff to decide on it.
D. The Special Ammunition team will be sent to the 1st Corp on the day of 7 April 87 to present the advisory.
3. We will follow the actions.
Conductor of the Third Section
6 April 87.
End of Translation of Page 1
The Special Ammunition are Chemical weapons as other top secret (Top confidential) letter in this document clearly states that. This letter was written on March 31 1987 and it discusses the study to conduct the strike with Chemical weapons. Here is a partial translation of the letter, pages 3 and 4 of the document, paragraphs 1 and 5, that proves that.
Partial translation of the letter on March 31 1987 (from page 3 pargraph 1 and page 4, paragraph 5).
Translation of Page 3 paragraph 1
Directory of the General Military Intelligence
Top secret and Confidential
To: The Chief of Army Staff
Subject: The Deployment of The Special Ammunition
1. Mr. President the Leader (God protect him) had ordered our Directory to study with the specialists to conduct a sudden strike (to the bases of Khomeini Guards within the headquarters of the destroyers in the 1st branch of Barazani Gang) with the Special Ammunition and the possibility of executing it in any of the following means (Air force- Army aviation- Artillery).
Translation of page 4 Paragraph 5
5. Our Directory suggested to conduct the strike to the to two targets indicated above in (3) during this period and use two third of the available in the Special Ammunition (The AL Zayen Agent) and in addition to one third of the available in the Special Ammunition (The Mustard Agent) and preserve the remaining for the emergency situations in the sectors of operations.
6. The letter of the Presidency of The Republic-Secretary top secret and confidential and immediate 953/965/K on 29 March 87 that includes the following: (the approval to conduct the strike was obtained and to invest the result so that the intention is not only to hurt the destroyers to take what is necessary and with the coordination of the designated Corp and inform us before the start of the strike)
Please review and your order to execute what came in the letter of the Presidency of the Republic-Secretary above and let us know. Yours With regards
Director of the General Military Intelligence
Thanks for the link to the 2003 thread....
This is even more fun than Venona.
Of course, the MSM will claim that this document is so old that it hardly matters for the war.
After all, "everybody" knows that Sadaam gassed the Kurds. But by the time we invaded Iraq, Sadaam had gotten rid of all of these weapons, therefore, Bush lied.
The true significance of this document, however, is as a death sentence for Sadaam should one of the trials fail to produce such a result. This shows Sadaam ordering the gassing himself.
Draw and quarter him.
Great stuff here, Doug!
wow - bump.
It's dated 1987. Given the audio tapes discussed recently that are recorded conversations of Saddam saying that he didn't have WMDs (shortly before the start of the war) to his "advisors", I'd like to see something more recent.
Or maybe a 'blood agent.'
I think it was in a more recent translation of another doc. If this confirms "Special Amunition" = WMD then this could be something.
Please don't feel required to respond. You are giving enough of your time on this project as is. Some may complain about time frames as being to early on etc.. But the point is your work and others shall be accumulative in nature. As your lead to investigate these documents, they get archived at FR. So I only see your work as being worthwhile. For those that whine, perhaps they should attempt to wade through the public archives at the miliary site and others, and suggest just what ones should be a priority. They probably do not realize you must view these docs, and determine what ones may contain some usefull info. Hardly an easy task, and surely time consuming. So once again, thank you.
Fascinating. My interpretation of the meaning of this... posted on
This is discussions with the internal top-level Iraqi regime, showing they knew that their numbers and reports to UN weapons inspectors were deceptive. And now, the rest of the story - part of that discrepancy was a volume of checmical weapons that were put to use against Iranians and Kurds. In other words, where did the chemical weapons go? Some were used to kill innocents, and the Iraqi regime would never admit it. Ask the victims of Hallabjah. They know.
"As your lead to investigate these documents, they get archived at FR. So I only see your work as being worthwhile. .... Hardly an easy task, and surely time consuming. So once again, thank you."
Dittos on this. This is valuable and important information to share, to tell the whole story. Thanks for your efforts.
Each piece of information adds to the truth.
Good catch on page nine. Perhaps we shall see it in english some time soon.
It may be old news, but this is proof that Saddam personally ordered it.
I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but thank you so much for this work.
"I think it was in a more recent translation of another doc. If this confirms "Special Amunition" = WMD then this could be something."
I just finished reading Georges Sada's book "Saddam's Secrets. In that book he referred to Special Amunition as Mustard gas and I believe Sarin.
He did specifically write that "Special Amunition" equalled WMD.
You welcome :)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.