"How do you attach a picture?"
OK, here's the Reader's Digest version...
1. Go to PhotoBucket and register for a free account http://www.photobucket.com/
2. When you're in your album, under Add Pictures, there is a place to click if the photo you want to place is somewhere on the internet, or there is a Browse button if the picture is somewhere on your own computer.
3. Hit the Submit button to upload the picture to your PhotoBucket account, and look at it. There are 3 boxes under the picture with coding in them. Pick the middle one (the one that starts with "img", highlight it and copy it (edit-->copy)
4. Come over here to FreeRepublic, open your reply window, and paste it in (edit-->paste)
5. Preview it (remember, preview is our friend) Voila - it should appear like magic!